44 Magnums

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
cool arrow
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 44 Magnums

Post by cool arrow »

If the recoil get to be too much, switch to .44 specials...makes the same size hole with less recoil.

Flash

Post by Flash »

I shot the Elmer Keith load for many years. 240 Grain SWC hard cast lead bullet, 21 Grains of 2400 powder, much recoil and velocity. I'd typically shoot a couple of hundred in a day.

Then one Sunday I shot a couple hundred, went to a jobsite the next day and thought, "damn my hand is sore. I wonder why?" Got to where recoil started affecting me.

So, with the downside of shooting .44 specials in a .44 Magnum cylinder in mind, I just downloaded my .44 Magnums to around 1,000 fps. I call em light magnums. I can shoot those all day in a Super Blackhawk.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Yeah, the 44 Magnum is a handgun caliber that really needs to be reloaded for both for the cost savings but also for the ability to create lighter loads. The 44 Magnum is my favorite revolver round but I now mostly shoot loads in the mid range between full charge magnums and the 44 Special.

It started by shooting very few full charge magnum loads in my Smith M29's and M629's in order to preserve them. So then I used my Ruger Redhawk and Super Blackhawk's for full power loads but I now back off the power a bit even on those.

Its not just to save wear on the guns but more about the wear and tear on my aging wrists and hands. When I was young I thought nothing of shooting a bunch of magnum rounds like the 454 Casull but now the 44 Magnum is my limit. And slightly downloaded 44 Magnums are that much better for me.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

Given a choice, I went with a Dan Wesson myself. Haven't been made in years though.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Flash wrote: October 12th, 2019, 11:00 am I shot the Elmer Keith load for many years. 240 Grain SWC hard cast lead bullet, 21 Grains of 2400 powder, much recoil and velocity. I'd typically shoot a couple of hundred in a day.

Then one Sunday I shot a couple hundred, went to a jobsite the next day and thought, "damn my hand is sore. I wonder why?" Got to where recoil started affecting me.

So, with the downside of shooting .44 specials in a .44 Magnum cylinder in mind, I just downloaded my .44 Magnums to around 1,000 fps. I call em light magnums. I can shoot those all day in a Super Blackhawk.
Boy I learn something new every day when Flash posts. For the last 27 years I've used that same load (However with JHP's) as Elmer described and I didn't know who he was back then or today. But that load really worked good in the Ruger Redhawk & my Desert Eagle. But for friends that wanted to shoot the Redhawk back then, I would mix some 180gr JHP's (Down loaded) with the Elmer 240gr JHP's in the barrel. After a couple of the 180gr rounds, they would always get comfortable with that gun until they found the 240grn round. LARGE EYE BALLS followed by HOLY CRAP !
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Elk34 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 7:15 pm I thought so too back in the day. But a good friend of mine ( God rest his soul ) told me to load my ammo for low recoil and shoot a lot. As I get use to the recoil I just need to load a little hotter and work my way up to the magnum loads. So I did. After , I don't know, 5 or 6k rounds my wrist got stronger and I could shoot magnums well. There is a trick though. Let the gun rotate in your hand and let it kick over your shoulder not into your face.
O if you run lead, before you stop.for the day run 2 or 3 copper jacketed bullets through it. It will clean it out very well.

I would be cautious about running jacketed slugs, to clean out leading. A jacketed bullet shot into too much leading, could result in a serious pressure spike,... just saying.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Very true. I try to run one every 20. Over the last 40 years it's been every easy to clean after I do that. I do the same with my 45 LC revolvers as well.
Flash

Post by Flash »

storage_man wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Boy I learn something new every day when Flash posts. For the last 27 years I've used that same load (However with JHP's) as Elmer described and I didn't know who he was back then or today. But that load really worked good in the Ruger Redhawk & my Desert Eagle. But for friends that wanted to shoot the Redhawk back then, I would mix some 180gr JHP's (Down loaded) with the Elmer 240gr JHP's in the barrel. After a couple of the 180gr rounds, they would always get comfortable with that gun until they found the 240grn round. LARGE EYE BALLS followed by HOLY CRAP !
Elmer Keith was one of the guys who invented the .44 Magnum. Some say he's THE guy. Very famous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Keith
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Elk34 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:52 am Very true. I try to run one every 20. Over the last 40 years it's been every easy to clean after I do that. I do the same with my 45 LC revolvers as well.

Well,... again,... different forcing cones, lead up differently, on different weapons, using different lead bullets.

My advice, is to inspect your entire barrel, prior to running a jacketed bullet,... after shooting lead bullets.

I understand you have done it many times before,... but,...just because we get away with some borderline procedures, doesn't mean it couldn't eventually catch up to us, and bite us in the arse!!! :whistle:
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I can say the same to our sodium intake as well. After I run a copper jacketed bullet through my 44 after running let say 20 lead bullets down range it only takes 1 patch to clean my bore. So in one day of shooting 100 rounds of lead and maybe 20 rounds of copper jacketed bullets it takes maybe 4 to 6 patches and you never knew you shoot any lead. Sometimes I get the ich and stick a bore scope in just to see. Nope, no lead. The lead is cheap but the jacketed bullets are way more fun. I thought about buying a couple of cap and ball 44's just to get the
Josey Wales affect. It would be neat IMO to get 2 Italian Colt Walker - .44 caliber or something close but in 44.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

Just for fun, every once in a while we take our .44s to an indoor range with targets on pulleys. (Scottsdale Gun Club, C2, Ted's)
Print this picture: https://occupy835wydr.files.wordpress.c ... rling.jpeg
or one like it, and crop it until the bear's face fills an 8 1/2 x 11 paper.
Put the bear face out at 45 or 50 feet (depending on the speed of the target carrier), set the new distance for 3 feet*, load up with your bear country loads, go to low ready, then press the target Go button. Try to get as many shots into the bear's face as you can before he gets to you.
It is a real adrenaline rush!

* The reason you set the target to come to 3 feet instead of 0 is that there is a tendency to fire the last shot and set the target on fire.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Elk34 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 3:09 pm I can say the same to our sodium intake as well. After I run a copper jacketed bullet through my 44 after running let say 20 lead bullets down range it only takes 1 patch to clean my bore. So in one day of shooting 100 rounds of lead and maybe 20 rounds of copper jacketed bullets it takes maybe 4 to 6 patches and you never knew you shoot any lead. Sometimes I get the ich and stick a bore scope in just to see. Nope, no lead. The lead is cheap but the jacketed bullets are way more fun. I thought about buying a couple of cap and ball 44's just to get the
Josey Wales affect. It would be neat IMO to get 2 Italian Colt Walker - .44 caliber or something close but in 44.

When I got into LEAD, I was very lucky,... a guy taught me that if my barrel is leading up,... the boolit SIZE, or ALLOY, or LUBE, or any combination of those three, needed to be addressed. Not a simple task, no quick solutions here, but, when you get the right combination,.... there is no leading. I clean my lead shooters about once or twice a year,... unless I am putting them up in storage, then I clean and oil.

Sizing bores, ordering custom molds, casting your own alloy mix, and making up an effective lube recipe,... isn't for everyone!

In fact, if I knew before hand, of the time and money dedicated to such, I would have never, ever, started!!! :violin:
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I looked into a good smelting pot at one time. It used propane and was something to see. But like you said the money and time just was not on my side.
O and the patience just isn't there anymore either.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Elk34 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 3:09 pm I can say the same to our sodium intake as well. After I run a copper jacketed bullet through my 44 after running let say 20 lead bullets down range it only takes 1 patch to clean my bore. So in one day of shooting 100 rounds of lead and maybe 20 rounds of copper jacketed bullets it takes maybe 4 to 6 patches and you never knew you shoot any lead. Sometimes I get the ich and stick a bore scope in just to see. Nope, no lead. The lead is cheap but the jacketed bullets are way more fun. I thought about buying a couple of cap and ball 44's just to get the
While the Walker can definitely be a blast, the 1860 Colt Army or the 1858 Remington New Army are better 44 options for new black powder shooters.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I will look into them.