?Reliable affordable 556

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
User avatar
shorepatrol
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 2
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 7:28 am
Reputation: 0
Location: North Glendale

?Reliable affordable 556

#1

Post by shorepatrol » June 18th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Just picked up an AR. PSA has AMERICAN EAGLE 5.56MM 55GR FMJBT AMMUNITION 1000RDS LOOSE PACK - XM193BK for 279 free shipping. Decent price for what you get? I see much cheaper but not familiar



User avatar
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 363
Joined: May 4th, 2018, 8:09 am
Reputation: 0

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#2

Post by Tim McBride » June 18th, 2019, 9:39 pm

That is good plinking ammo. I've been buying Wolf Gold lately just to stay consistent with one load. it's 260-270/1000

User avatar
laabstract
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 90
Joined: June 22nd, 2018, 1:44 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: GILBERT

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#3

Post by laabstract » June 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm

Wolf gold is usually my go to. I stick away from XM193 and M855 as they do a number on my steel plates.

User avatar
Turner327
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 2
Joined: September 7th, 2019, 12:28 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Gilbert

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#4

Post by Turner327 » September 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm

No feeding issues with the wolf gold?

User avatar
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 363
Joined: May 4th, 2018, 8:09 am
Reputation: 0

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#5

Post by Tim McBride » September 8th, 2019, 7:08 am

Nope.

User avatar
Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 365
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#6

Post by Basher » September 8th, 2019, 9:51 am

laabstract wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm
Wolf gold is usually my go to. I stick away from XM193 and M855 as they do a number on my steel plates.
Why would M193 do any more damage than any other standard 55gr load to steel plates? It’s not a steel-core load...

I’ve used M193 for years without issue of any kind, so I keep my eyes peeled for good deals on it. For general plinking, American Eagle or Woof Gold seem to be what I usually go for, though I haven’t bought ammo in awhile.

User avatar
Lobo2087
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 92
Joined: January 14th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Surprise

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#7

Post by Lobo2087 » September 8th, 2019, 9:53 am

Palmetto has good prices on ammo and mags

User avatar
laabstract
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 90
Joined: June 22nd, 2018, 1:44 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: GILBERT

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#8

Post by laabstract » September 10th, 2019, 9:38 am

Basher wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 9:51 am
laabstract wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm
Wolf gold is usually my go to. I stick away from XM193 and M855 as they do a number on my steel plates.
Why would M193 do any more damage than any other standard 55gr load to steel plates? It’s not a steel-core load...

I’ve used M193 for years without issue of any kind, so I keep my eyes peeled for good deals on it. For general plinking, American Eagle or Woof Gold seem to be what I usually go for, though I haven’t bought ammo in awhile.
The issue you run into with XM193 and pitting steel comes from the issue of velocity and not steel core.

User avatar
Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 365
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#9

Post by Basher » September 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I suppose I haven’t looked at the numbers in some time. Is M193 really moving that much faster than other 55gr loads?

User avatar
timelinex
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 4
Joined: September 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Phoenix

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#10

Post by timelinex » September 24th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Tulammo has been as reliable as any other ammo for me and coincidentally it is usually among the cheapest. I highly recommend the stuff. Occasionally a rifle doesn't like steel case, but any quality ar15 will and should eat ALL ammo reliably. Steel case ammo being any worse for your rifle is an old myth that just won't die. But it is most definitely a myth.

User avatar
timelinex
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 4
Joined: September 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Phoenix

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#11

Post by timelinex » September 24th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Basher wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm
I suppose I haven’t looked at the numbers in some time. Is M193 really moving that much faster than other 55gr loads?
Yea. M193 runs very hot.

User avatar
Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 365
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#12

Post by Basher » September 24th, 2019, 9:07 pm

timelinex wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 8:45 pm
Basher wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm
I suppose I haven’t looked at the numbers in some time. Is M193 really moving that much faster than other 55gr loads?
Yea. M193 runs very hot.
Just like I like it. :mrgreen:

User avatar
timelinex
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 4
Joined: September 18th, 2019, 3:18 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Phoenix

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#13

Post by timelinex » September 24th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Basher wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 9:07 pm
timelinex wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 8:45 pm
Basher wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm
I suppose I haven’t looked at the numbers in some time. Is M193 really moving that much faster than other 55gr loads?
Yea. M193 runs very hot.
Just like I like it. :mrgreen:
Just make sure your not shooting at steel too close! It eats of ar500 when too close. If I remember correctly, around 150 yards is good.

User avatar
Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 365
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Reputation: 6

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#14

Post by Basher » September 24th, 2019, 10:03 pm

I generally only shoot steel at comps like the local 2-gun matches, and they haven’t said anything about it yet, so I should be good. Been a bit since I shot a match though, so maybe that’s changed. I try to save the M193 for rainy days and plink w/ cheaper .223 anyway.

User avatar
mifsuud
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 9
Joined: October 10th, 2019, 10:48 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Phoenix

Re: ?Reliable affordable 556

#15

Post by mifsuud » October 12th, 2019, 1:25 pm

UNammo is local, on Glendale west of I17. I typically buy mil-spec or surplus ammo there at a reasonable price.
Last edited by mifsuud on October 12th, 2019, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Ammunition and Reloading”

cron