Trade value?

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
pvreb
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Trade value?

Post by pvreb »

I see in some of the classified ads mention of a cash value and a trade value, which seem to differ. What is the distinction?

62Grains

Re: Trade value?

Post by 62Grains »

I think some people like to raise the value of their goods when it involves bartering and give a discount when it comes to cash. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense if the other guy does the same thing though.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Just a starting point to counter the full retail price some people think 5 year old guns bring if they only shot them a few times.

Used guns are used guns, it doesn't matter how often you rubbed on them. People forget that. Still if you were able to see the end of those deals you would find that A, both sides are happy and B, the value probably leveled out.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I don't even pay attention to someones "trade value ".
If I have something to trade they are interested in I offer it.
I decide if my trade is worth more or less than their gun.
If they don't like the trade I move on.

When they do say " trade value " and you offer a trade they always see to come back with " what do you value it as ".
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I get a lot of stuff for free. If I want something and someone wants what I got and I don't have much into it, I will make them a screaming deal on it and they will feel like they stole it from me.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

if they will accept $$$ cash...then where do they pull the 'trade value' from... the air or their a**?
The way i see it the gun has a value that is $$$ and I will consider trading it so, if you want it come up with the cash or whats ya got to trade ? value will fall in line for a trade as one will bring up any differences in opinion.
HDS
Banned
Banned

Post by HDS »

Cash is just cash ,trade value means they are trying to get more, in a way.
RandyTF

Post by RandyTF »

It is unnecessary to have a trade value that differs from a cash price. Somebody offers a trade and it doesn't work for you, don't trade or make a counter offer.
redj

Post by redj »

A trade is only worth what each individual thinks it is worth.
Everyone has their own ideas.
If you have a $100 gun and you want a trade value of $200 then my $100 trade just gained in value.
Last edited by redj on April 17th, 2019, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

I think they expect that since the other person isn't paying cash that they should get something worth more to account for that. Like they have you over a barrel because you can't(?) pay cash.

Not agreeing...just an observation.
HDS
Banned
Banned

Post by HDS »

For a Marine that's about all you can do. Cash is king. Try to just buy it. But I got to say I haven't seen any fire sales. Everyone wants market value or more for there stuff, not all but most.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Steve-i29, I see your point, what they seem to be saying in that vein of thought...
I can spend cash but not your trade, so gimme more to make up for it... or
Well i'll have to take the time and risk of selling your crap so I need compensation for that... or
If you want my unwanted crap so bad you'll pawn your unwanted crap then make it worth my while to even talk to you....
:)

HDS- Your soooo right... every gun has been shot less than 100-300 times and is now pre broke-in for you. I has to be worth more, with all the bugs worked out.... and it is gonna become a collectible one day... or was once used by John Wayne hisself. I even didn't clean it for you so you could see it's only been shot a few times...
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

HDS wrote: April 17th, 2019, 5:41 am For a Marine that's about all you can do. Cash is king. Try to just buy it. But I got to say I haven't seen any fire sales. Everyone wants market value or more for there stuff, not all but most.
WTF does being a Marine have to do with the topic of this thread???
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i never understood the trade value versus cash value thingy, so usually if it had a cash value and i was interested i'd discuss with offering individual, never was much for the trade thing, guess i'm a hoarder, hehehe. although in the very near future, i will be downsizing 50 plus years of collecting.

happy hump day
Rj
Basher

Post by Basher »

Sometimes I do it to reinforce the fact that I’d much rather have cash. The option for a trade is still there, but you get a better deal with cash, which is what I need in such situations.

I have a barrel listed elsewhere that I’m doing this with. Both my cash and trade value is WELL below retail, but because I need cash more than I need more stuff, cash value is lower. I don’t do it often, but that’s one reason it’s done.

If you disagree with it, move on. Neither the seller or buyer will do much to convince the other party by bickering or belittling the other.