Sierra Vista Shooting Range

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Black_water
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Sierra Vista Shooting Range

Post by Black_water » January 13th, 2019, 9:26 am

Anyone been there? Any thoughts?

The two enemies of the people are criminals and govt, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legaliszed version of the first.

Thomas Jefferson.

Harrier
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Sierra Vista Shooting Range

Post by Harrier » January 13th, 2019, 6:06 pm

I went there when I first moved to SV in 2004, was a RO for a while and also participated in the pistol competitions (x between IPSC and PPC) for a couple years (loads of fun). They have expanded and greatly improved the public range since I was there last.IIRC they go out to 500 yards and now have a skeet/trap range too. The SV range can be a good place to go during the week or when they open on weekends but gets crowded mid-morning. Join an organized shoot and there are semi-private ranges closed to the public.

I was lucky and found a private ranch much closer to home that I use now but it only goes out to 300 yds.Owner is real picky- so far I don't know of anyone that can shoot there except me.

I usually spend all day during my range sessions and I like to take my time or do things as I think of them
The things I dislike about all public ranges are:
- all the ignorant public handling loaded guns, that show up when I want to shoot. Sorry, thats just the way I see some of them.
- The wait between cold ranges so I can monkey with my chrono or check my targets when I'm ready. Hey, I'm there for me- not to wait on 15 others.
- The Nazi RO's who jump at every perceived infraction. (see #1)
Most all of the shooting nooks in the Natl Forest and BLM areas, state land & county gravel pit have been closed due to shot up trash and trees... and the continued efforts of local & Tucson tree-hugger groups (the local shooters didn't exert much effort other than leaving their trash)

If you don't have a good place to shoot the SV range is about your only choice. I hear there is a new indoor range being contemplated by Apocolypse Arms up by the Main Gate....
That's my opinion... and I'm stick'in to it...
but.. I might change my mind.

Intel6

Post by Intel6 » January 14th, 2019, 7:47 am

Yes, I was out there yesterday. :D

I have been an RO out there for many years.

The public range has overhead cover, asphalt on the ground and poured cement benches. Normal paper target range is 200 M and there is steel out to 600 M.

gumpy18

Post by gumpy18 » January 21st, 2019, 8:06 pm

do either of you guys know a guy named greg that use to hang around there? shot at that range a few times, nice range.

Return to “Firearm Related General Discussion”