Colt 6490P

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Post Reply
User avatar
Ducatiduke
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 10
Joined: October 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Phoenix

Colt 6490P

#1

Post by Ducatiduke » January 12th, 2019, 10:55 am

I was looking at a Colt 6490P the other day and looked around online for reviews and feedback. Generally speaking, it was fairly well received. Knowing it is more $ than your normal AR (DI), does anyone think it is worth it? Also, does anyone own one/has owned one/shot one and can speak first hand about their experiences with it?



User avatar
Mark
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 23
Joined: December 9th, 2018, 3:16 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: East Valley

Re: Colt 6490P

#2

Post by Mark » January 12th, 2019, 11:01 am

If you mean the 6940, I’ve seen them as low as $650 or so.

If you want the pony logo, go for it.

Otherwise there’s nothing special.

I’d rather have midlength gas and a slimmer, lighter rail.

User avatar
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 109
Joined: May 15th, 2018, 8:36 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Colt 6490P

#3

Post by QuietM4 » January 12th, 2019, 11:25 am

Piston AR rifles offer no advantages to a recreational shooter. Just clean your gun.

You are paying for a logo. Head online and buy an upper/lower combo from Palmetto for $450.
...so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

User avatar
coltnut
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 22
Joined: May 22nd, 2018, 9:07 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: Phoenix

Re: Colt 6490P

#4

Post by coltnut » February 13th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Mark wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 11:01 am
If you mean the 6940, I’ve seen them as low as $650 or so.
Colt 6940 and 6940P are 2 different animals.Both exist,one is DI and the other Piston.
A 6940 for $650 is a very good deal,generally go a bit higher.
6940P on the other hand are going more in the $2000+ Price range and selling,due to not many being made..

User avatar
muta4warrior
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 30
Joined: May 19th, 2018, 9:25 am
Reputation: 2
Location: East Mesa

Re: Colt 6490P

#5

Post by muta4warrior » February 13th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Ducatiduke wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 10:55 am
I was looking at a Colt 6490P the other day and looked around online for reviews and feedback. Generally speaking, it was fairly well received. Knowing it is more $ than your normal AR (DI), does anyone think it is worth it? Also, does anyone own one/has owned one/shot one and can speak first hand about their experiences with it?
I had an earlier 6940P that I sold a while ago when I heard they were discontinued. I got good money for it and never looked back. The thing with the 6940 series is that they use proprietary barrels and uppers ( upper receiver has the extension pin and barrel has the notch) so you are at the mercy of Colt for replacement parts and even more so for the Piston version as the carrier and front gas block differ from the DI version. If you really want a Pony rifle, I would find a nice 6920 or similar model, that uses market standard parts.

User avatar
Ducatiduke
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org
Posts: 10
Joined: October 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm
Reputation: 1
Location: Phoenix

Re: Colt 6490P

#6

Post by Ducatiduke » February 13th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Thx.... all good points with respect to the posts.... tyvm!

User avatar
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member
Posts: 527
Joined: May 18th, 2018, 8:57 am
Reputation: 2

Re: Colt 6490P

#7

Post by 338lapua » February 14th, 2019, 10:50 am

muta4warrior wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 8:36 pm
Ducatiduke wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 10:55 am
I was looking at a Colt 6490P the other day and looked around online for reviews and feedback. Generally speaking, it was fairly well received. Knowing it is more $ than your normal AR (DI), does anyone think it is worth it? Also, does anyone own one/has owned one/shot one and can speak first hand about their experiences with it?
I had an earlier 6940P that I sold a while ago when I heard they were discontinued. I got good money for it and never looked back. The thing with the 6940 series is that they use proprietary barrels and uppers ( upper receiver has the extension pin and barrel has the notch) so you are at the mercy of Colt for replacement parts and even more so for the Piston version as the carrier and front gas block differ from the DI version. If you really want a Pony rifle, I would find a nice 6920 or similar model, that uses market standard parts.

6940 is a monolithic upper and that is why parts are more expensive. No barrel nut like a conventional AR15. They are very accurate shooters but I would not want to carry one all day. The Colt 901 is the 308 version and you can use the 5.56 upper on the 308 receiver. I have several new of each caliber in the vault as some day they will go up as I don't think Colt is making either of them

Post Reply

Return to “Rifles, Carbines and other Long-Arms”

cron