Interested in building a 9mm AR

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
AZM9
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Interested in building a 9mm AR

Post by AZM9 »

Interested in a 9mm AR but it’s tougher finding a 9mm upper and lower. Any suggestions.

Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Interested in building a 9mm AR

Post by Suck My Glock »

I built a 9mm CMMG Banshee from their parts catalog on a standard AR15 pistol lower, using converted Pmags with the MeanArms 9mm kits. It cost less than buying a genuine Banshee from CMMG with their branded Glock mag lower, but the mags cost more. Feeding has been 100%, however. If you plan on ever using it with a suppressor, this is the way to go, since the rotary semi-locking reduces back-gassing a tremendous deal. Back in 2018 when I did this, the build cost me less than $700.

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

AZM9 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 12:16 am Interested in a 9mm AR but it’s tougher finding a 9mm upper and lower. Any suggestions.
Are you not familiar with Google?

Primary Arms and Palmetto State Armory both have plenty of AR-9 parts, uppers and lowers (complete or stripped) in stock.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

could be economics are the issue, some of the pcc parts are outrageous.
in any event, glock or colt mags, i have both and both run like clockwork, as with the pcc, one must sometimes play smith with them,
presently struggling with a .45acp pcc, hope to in the next few weeks get it to also run like a timex.
good luck, and do purchase a ramped bolt, it will assist in your success along with a spacer, as have found that sometimes the trigger group gets hammered, a little more if the bolt has a long ways to travel.
Rj
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I used a Stern Defense magwell adapter for Glock mags on a traditional lower (form1). The 8.5" FM-9 upper is from The Glock store.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

have a couple associates who have the stern adapter, seems to work well, both of my units have dedicated lowers.
opted to do one in colt mags and one in glock, both are awesome, however did have tg, malfunction, got hammered and went full fast boy, had a couple broken pieces, traced it to bolt slamming in to tcg, seems the pcc have this issue, according to the big interwebs, anyhows, 3k since the fix, and nada issue, and a tack driver .
hope to get the extar out by end of week, dropped a romeo5 on it, so anxious to see how it performs, love the romeo, now if only juliet would show up. hehehe
Rj
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

The PCC I built from parts was a good gun...but it was never quite what I wanted it to be, so I eventually just bought an MP5 clone.

I built using a Faxon 8" barrel, KAW Valley BCH, Larue MBT trigger, Aero Precision upper and lower, Atlas S-One hand guard, SB Tactical SBA3 brace, and Endo Mean Mags. The Endo mag conversions worked great, but no last round bolt hold open, which wasn't a deal breaker. I liked that I could use the same form factor as my 5.56 mags, and I have plenty of Magpul mags hanging around. I don't run a Glock pistol any longer, so mag interchangeability wasn't a factor for me.

That build was fun...but I love my MP5 so much more.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I bought an assembled 9mm full length rifle Upper and had got one of the VM-Hytec (No longer available) UZI mag adapters. I have an UZI so had lots of mags. Ran perfectly with the adapter and good UZI surplus mags. Very accurate no mods to lower or magazines. No bolt hold open. Decided to buy a dedicated Lone Wolf Lower when they were the only game in town for Glock lowers. Had more issues with the lone wolf lower than ever had with the uzi mags. I had the bolt milled, changed the bolt to an expensive JP Enterprises dedicated 9mm bolt group, put in spacers changed buffers and got tired of messing with it in the safe it went. Switched to an MP-5 clone and the CZ Scorpion, have not touched the AR-9 thing in a long time. Now with 9mm prices none of them getting shot. Doing more airgun shooting than anything else these days. Seems Battle Arms Development is pushing out lots of there 9mm pistols, lots of other options now too. Never seen that AR mag conversion set-up kind of interesting. I still like the simplicity of the VM Hytec adapter. Just plug it in like an AR mag and stick in the uzi mag. I think KAK has there own version of the UZI mag adapter now.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

h8pvmnt wrote: March 10th, 2021, 11:12 am I bought an assembled 9mm full length rifle Upper and had got one of the VM-Hytec (No longer available) UZI mag adapters. I have an UZI so had lots of mags. Ran perfectly with the adapter and good UZI surplus mags. Very accurate no mods to lower or magazines. No bolt hold open. Decided to buy a dedicated Lone Wolf Lower when they were the only game in town for Glock lowers. Had more issues with the lone wolf lower than ever had with the uzi mags. I had the bolt milled, changed the bolt to an expensive JP Enterprises dedicated 9mm bolt group, put in spacers changed buffers and got tired of messing with it in the safe it went. Switched to an MP-5 clone and the CZ Scorpion, have not touched the AR-9 thing in a long time. Now with 9mm prices none of them getting shot. Doing more airgun shooting than anything else these days. Seems Battle Arms Development is pushing out lots of there 9mm pistols, lots of other options now too. Never seen that AR mag conversion set-up kind of interesting. I still like the simplicity of the VM Hytec adapter. Just plug it in like an AR mag and stick in the uzi mag. I think KAK has there own version of the UZI mag adapter now.
I have a VM-Hytec adapter gathering dust if anyone is interested.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 10th, 2021, 12:34 pm I have a VM-Hytec adapter gathering dust if anyone is interested.
How much?
AZM9

Post by AZM9 »

knockonit wrote: March 10th, 2021, 6:08 am could be economics are the issue, some of the pcc parts are outrageous.
in any event, glock or colt mags, i have both and both run like clockwork, as with the pcc, one must sometimes play smith with them,
presently struggling with a .45acp pcc, hope to in the next few weeks get it to also run like a timex.
good luck, and do purchase a ramped bolt, it will assist in your success along with a spacer, as have found that sometimes the trigger group gets hammered, a little more if the bolt has a long ways to travel.
Rj
Understood, thanks for info.
AZM9

Post by AZM9 »

Suck My Glock wrote: March 10th, 2021, 1:01 am I built a 9mm CMMG Banshee from their parts catalog on a standard AR15 pistol lower, using converted Pmags with the MeanArms 9mm kits. It cost less than buying a genuine Banshee from CMMG with their branded Glock mag lower, but the mags cost more. Feeding has been 100%, however. If you plan on ever using it with a suppressor, this is the way to go, since the rotary semi-locking reduces back-gassing a tremendous deal. Back in 2018 when I did this, the build cost me less than $700.

Nice, I have been kicking around if I should do a rifle or pistol. Never shot an AR pistol. Don’t know If I would like it.
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

PSA 8" complete upper w/ BCG and a mil-spec stripped lower w/ CAR spring, H3 buffer, stacked quarters behind the spring (get the bolt catch 1/4" spacing) and Mean Arms PMag 9mm mag inserts (see pic above). Gives me LRBHO, do not have to futz w/ expensive magwell adapters and I can run the lower w/ ANY upper. Absolute kick to shoot, lotsa fun and ZERO malfs thru ~2k rounds!
LapElectricInAz

Post by LapElectricInAz »

I have a 9 mm ar that was built by a friend. Dedicated lower from a Tucson mfc. Not sure of upper mfc. Has a 10.5” barrel. Sb3 brace. Short range after market laser sight. Flip up iron sights. Uses Glock mags. One of my favorite guns. I’ll post pictures of it if anybody seems interested if not the 9 mm A.R. is a great shooting gun