Surplus "Training Only" SAPI plates - useful or no?

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Surplus "Training Only" SAPI plates - useful or no?

Post by Suck My Glock »

Came across this question posed on another site I visit and am curious as to the answer.

I have a question the internet can't answer to my satisfaction, but I'm sure your readers can. I have a set of USMC surplus SAPI plats marked "TRNG ONLY." They appear to be real plates and are not visibly cracked or otherwise unserviceable. Everything I have been told or taught about body armor tells me the expiration dates are mostly for liability, and if the armor is stored under proper conditions and not otherwise abused, it maintains it's ballistic resistant properties. I asked around among friends within LE/Mil and they claim the "TRNG ONLY" marks mean this is real body armor that was issued and carried "downrange," and that all armor, once issued and carried overseas, is relegated to training only in case there was a crack or other damage to it. So, according to them, when the (in my opinion) not too far off spiciness occurs, these plates are GTG use wise. That being said, the internet tells me these are no good and should not be trusted.

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg

mtptwo

Re: Surplus "Training Only" SAPI plates - useful or no?

Post by mtptwo »

Don't take a chance on body armor. Buy a set of plates from a trusted seller.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

mtptwo wrote: February 1st, 2021, 10:28 am Don't take a chance on body armor. Buy a set of plates from a trusted seller.
Indeed. But is the explanation off base or based on anything true?
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

Old used plates like that may have cracks and dings that will not be visible or felt, and only held together by the surfacing material.
They might be fine, but if they are compromised would fail.

I picked up a couple of 10X12 level 4 plates for the wife at a decent price from LA Police gear...
https://lapolicegear.com/la-police-gear ... plate.html
Some Utube fellow did a test to destruction video on these, even after multiple hits with 5.56 and 7.62x51 they still stopped a .338 Lapua round.