C&R Deliveries

Discuss curio and relic, and other antique firearms here.
MarkItZero
ArizonaShooting.org Member

C&R Deliveries

Post by MarkItZero »

I just order 2 guns from different retailers to break my license in so to speak. One shipped ups, the other FedEx.

Both companies attempted to deliver when I wasn't home. I was able to have my UPS package sent to a local ups station, where I picked it up.

FedEx wouldn't allow to select that option, and now I had to pay an additional $11.50 to choose my own delivery window.

Kind of annoying when you get the license to avoid transfer fees and then have to accrue other expenses. Especially since some ffls only charge $10 for transfers....
Last edited by MarkItZero on September 23rd, 2020, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harrier

Re: C&R Deliveres

Post by Harrier »

$$$ Racket- everybody has their hand in your pocket...
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

That’s very odd that they forced you to have to pay for a delivery window. I always thought you could have it held at the main FedEx customer service center (similar to the main delivery hub for UPS - not the local UPS store franchises).
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Fragout21 wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 5:36 pm That’s very odd that they forced you to have to pay for a delivery window. I always thought you could have it held at the main FedEx customer service center (similar to the main delivery hub for UPS - not the local UPS store franchises).
When I went to select that option, it said that the sender had chosen to revoke that option. My actual bone to pick is with Classic Firearms and not FedEx I suppose.
Fragout21

Post by Fragout21 »

MarkItZero wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 6:03 pm
Fragout21 wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 5:36 pm That’s very odd that they forced you to have to pay for a delivery window. I always thought you could have it held at the main FedEx customer service center (similar to the main delivery hub for UPS - not the local UPS store franchises).
When I went to select that option, it said that the sender had chosen to revoke that option. My actual bone to pick is with Classic Firearms and not FedEx I suppose.
My first thought is maybe they revoked that option to reduce the likelihood of potential theft from the FedEx service center. I remember hearing a news story several years ago where firearms were being stolen by workers when they were being shipped to customers. It could also be that there is an additional cost to offer the service center option. This really does not seem likely since I have never being offered a saving on my shipping by not having the package come back to the service center.
GunNut

Re: C&R Deliveries

Post by GunNut »

Or you or someone could have been home and avoid the whole fukcde up mess
Not Fed Ex or Classics fault
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I just placed an order with Classic. It’s been quite a while since I ordered from them. I’ll let you guys know if I run into the same problem.

Unfortunately, my weeks are mostly taken up with taking my wife to the doctor. So it has been a crap shoot whether I am home when they show up. So far I have gotten lucky. Yesterday I received a signature required shipment from Fed-Ex that came literally 5 minutes before I had to take my wife to the doctor.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

The solution to all shipment acceptance issues is to rent a box at a mail acceptance center. During business hours there is always someone at the desk to sign for your packages. Most all locations will accept USPO mail, UPS and FedEx. This also eliminates the problem with porch pirates.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

GunNut wrote: September 25th, 2020, 11:12 pm Or you or someone could have been home and avoid the whole fukcde up mess
Not Fed Ex or Classics fault
I live in a rural area and fedex only delivers here during regular business hours, the same time I have to be at work
GunNut

Post by GunNut »

I understand people work
Again not Fed Ex's fault you can not make arrangements for someone to be there to pick up

I do agree though they should leave a notice and then allow YOU to pick up at a dist. hub within 14 days or so

Stating they will only come back for a fee is BS

I have had my 03FFL for 12 -13 yrs. I always know when incoming is and always have someone here to receive
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Classic Firearms specifically put that it had to be handed off in person at the address. There was no way to reroute it to a FedEx hub. (Although I ordered a different c&r gun from J&G at the same time and they shipped UPS and I was able to reroute that one to a UPS hub). As I live alone and Classic Firearms specifically requested that fedex not allow the package to be rerouted to a hub, the only 2 options would have been to take a day off work or pay the extra $12.50 and choose my own delivery window. I opted to pay the $12.50.
GunNut

Post by GunNut »

Most places will require a person to sign OR deliver in hand

Reason? If they left it on the porch or by front door nd someone steals it then you will be rising holy hell with them because they did that - AKA they cant' win
To avoid this issue MUST hand it so be home or have someone there

In the future purchases you may wish to contact and arrange the shipper to use UPS and NOT Fed Ex
Explain your reasoning - this may solve your not home issue
samnev

Post by samnev »

I would never used FedEx to send, or to receive a weapon if I had a choice. They always charge higher prices the time few times I tried to use them. I remember I tried to send 2 expensive somewhat rare 1891 Mosin Nagant's 1891's 1 a Remington the other and a NEW. They wanted over $300 to ship them. Took them to UPS insured them for 3K. It cost me less than $70 IIRC
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I ordered a pistol and a rifle from Classic. They shipped them both FedEx at the same time. The pistol came today requiring a signature which is just a person to person hand off. The rifle is due on Wednesday. It was shipped FedEx Ground. Fortunately, today and Wednesday I have no plans so I’ll be home for the delivery.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I started skipping thru the more extensive stories, but as a UPS employee, I know they are tacking on charges for services that used to be free, all in the name of keeping the stockholders happy by boosting their profit margin, which BTW is roughly 1.5 Billion (with a capital B) a quarter.....Yes, that's free and clear after the all the bills are paid. The latest thing is when you order something from out of the country, and UPS has to pay import taxes, and then won't give you the item until you pay that, after you've agreed to pay shipping on the item.
You wouldn't believe me if I told you what they make on each Amazon package they deliver, hint- don't think high, you probably have that amount in your pocket right now.
I've got stories for days...HAHA