10/22 Barrel fitting

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

10/22 Barrel fitting

Post by Pro2a »

Changing the barrel out, and found that this TacSol barrel is as tight as a (insert comparison here.)
I have cleaned and ever so slightly oiled the receiver.
The pictures show how far I can get it in by twisting by hand.
Not wanting to pound on it, for fear of not getting it out, or digging into aluminum along the way.
Can these barrels be sanded on with some like fine sandpaper to remove a few millionths of material?

Basher

Re: 10/22 Barrel fitting

Post by Basher »

Try putting the barrel in the freezer and the receiver in the oven (at a low temp, obviously). The temp differences between the two may be enough to allow the barrel to fit into the receiver.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

A quality grease/anti-seize such as AeroShell would also greatly aid in installation.
I'd lube it up, look for raised imperfections that cause it to stick, and lastly try gently tapping it in with a rubber mallet.
Do you have anything like a set of calipers to measure it?
Only as a last resort should you consider lightly sanding with something like Emery cloth. I'm also assuming you don't have a lathe.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Basher wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:46 am Try putting the barrel in the freezer and the receiver in the oven (at a low temp, obviously). The temp differences between the two may be enough to allow the barrel to fit into the receiver.
I'd just freeze the barrel if it needed it. Leave the reciever alone.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Tim McBride wrote: July 31st, 2020, 8:09 am A quality grease/anti-seize such as AeroShell would also greatly aid in installation.
I'd lube it up, look for raised imperfections that cause it to stick, and lastly try gently tapping it in with a rubber mallet.
Do you have anything like a set of calipers to measure it?
Only as a last resort should you consider lightly sanding with something like Emery cloth. I'm also assuming you don't have a lathe.
Yes, no calipers, no lathe....although calipers have been a past consideration. But then if you don't have a lathe what's the point of calipers?, if it don't fit, it don't fit.
I'll do the barrel freeze and report back, thanks guys.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I had the same issue with a Kidd barrel. I took it to a gunsmith buddy of mine and he put on some anti seize grease, put the receiver in a vise and tapped the barrel in with a rubber mallet. I couldn’t believe how easy it went in after he applied the anti seize grease.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Ok, I put the frozen barrel in a room temp receiver, and it didn't seem to get any farther.
Then I went the "low grade oven route" and put the receiver in the afternoon sun, and it actually seemed like it went a bit farther, as evidenced by the frosty barrel pic below.
I think I'm going to go the "anti seize" route. The only Aero Shell I can find is 14 ounce bottles on Amazon.
Do auto stores carry something comparable?

Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Pro2a wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 4:31 am Ok, I put the frozen barrel in a room temp receiver, and it didn't seem to get any farther.
Then I went the "low grade oven route" and put the receiver in the afternoon sun, and it actually seemed like it went a bit farther, as evidenced by the frosty barrel pic below.
I think I'm going to go the "anti seize" route. The only Aero Shell I can find is 14 ounce bottles on Amazon.

Yes just ask for antiseize. They often sell small packets of it for brake jobs if ou don't want to buy an entire bottle.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

Pro2a wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 4:31 am Ok, I put the frozen barrel in a room temp receiver, and it didn't seem to get any farther.

Any auto parts store will carry some.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have just lightly sanded my Tac Sol Barrels, the anodize varies in thickness. Go slow test fit do a little more. have done several like this with no issues.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

It looks like the reciever may have been glassbeaded at one time judging by the texture on the lower and front portion. Prolonged sandblasting or glassbeading will remove material, but initially it just roughs it up and raises the surface. If the channel on the receiver that the barrel slides into is not smooth, I would recommend using some fine grit sandpaper to smooth it back down. You may be able to find a sanding wheel that would do the job, but I'm not sure if they make one that's a fine enough grit that would be gentle enough.

If the barrel channel in the receiver is smooth, I would do ALL of the previous recommendations at once. Freeze the barrel, put the receiver in the over for an hour at 170, then rub a little anti-seeze in the barrel channel before tapping it in gently with a rubber mallet. Just make sure the barrel is properly aligned before you tap it in or you might get into trouble.

If that fails, I would go back to sanding down the barrel a little. Make sure to mask off the portion of the barrel that will show so you don't accidentally scratch it up. I would go slow with 400 grit and keep test fitting it until you get it to slide in.
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

My Kidd barrel was tight and a pain to install, but it’s a shooter.

I followed the Kidd install directions:
Yes, we set it up for a resistance fit. The following are the installation instructions:
First, make sure the receiver extension hole is clear of paint or debris. Start the barrel extension into the receiver getting the barrel dovetail cut lined up with the bottom of the receiver. If snug, apply some anti-seize compound to the extension of the barrel. If the receiver will not slip onto the barrel with hand force, use a rubber mallet to lightly tap the rear of the receiver onto the barrel leaving it about a quarter inch out. Take great care in always keeping the barrel and receiver in line while installing. Finally, wrap some paper or cloth around the barrel and put it in a vice so that the dovetail of the barrel is facing up. Put a level across the dovetail and another level across the top of the receiver to make sure that both levels match. Then again lightly tap the back of the receiver to get the final seeding. Attach the v-block and screws, then tighten to snug about 10 inch pounds. Barrel and receiver should move as one and not as two pieces after installation is complete. By leveling the dovetail and the receiver, your extractor will be timed.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

AZ_Five56 wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 11:24 am It looks like the reciever may have been glassbeaded at one time judging by the texture on the lower and front portion.
I bought as a 50th anniversary receiver only, and that's the way it came, not sure if aftermarket or something.
Thanks for the great new tips guys.
I think I'm going to go the least involved route first, grease then tapping.
My only concern is the if a frozen barrel and heated receiver fit perfect, then things expand/shrink back, will I ever be able to get it out, if necessary? Will anti-seize help if removal is necessary?
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Tim McBride wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 6:11 am Yes just ask for antiseize. They often sell small packets of it for brake jobs if ou don't want to buy an entire bottle.
The perfect amount I'm looking for
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Pro2a wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 7:02 pm My only concern is the if a frozen barrel and heated receiver fit perfect, then things expand/shrink back, will I ever be able to get it out, if necessary? Will anti-seize help if removal is necessary?
If it's that tight, I would probably rely on a gunsmith to take it back apart. Anti-seize may help a little if you let it seep down between the barrel and receiver for a little bit, but it's going to be hell to pull the barrel off if you don't have the right tools handy. Again, I would first confirm that the barrel channel in the receiver is smooth and not roughed up, and then I would slowly sand down the barrel until it slides in with a snug fit. That's if you want to take it off on your own in the future.