Glock vs The World

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Three56
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Glock vs The World

Post by Three56 »

Bought a first generation Glock when they first came out back in 1987, serial #gp001, they had to import them with rear adjustable sites at that time and the would break off with little effort.

I haven’t owned any plastic pistols other than many Glocks with an exception of an HK P9.

Three56

Post by Three56 »

Three56 wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 8:14 pm Bought a first generation Glock when they first came out back in 1987, serial #gp001, they had to import them with rear adjustable sites at that time and the would break off with little effort.

I haven’t owned any plastic pistols other than many Glocks with an exception of an HK P9. Btw, if you own gp001 I would pay a pretty price to take it from your hands.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

I also don't recall ever having a failure with a Glock. I've seen em but never experienced one. That's not scientific or empirical in any way, just that it hasn't happend to me. I can't think of any other platform with which that is the case.
Muzap
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Muzap »

I like the fact that I can have a 33 round factory magazine ready to go as a reload. Happy sticks FTW!
GringoLoco

Post by GringoLoco »

Crippledtrigger wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 6:10 pm
shooter444 wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 10:03 am Reading all the posts above, I have to wonder how many Glock guys have actually shot a H&K, S&W, FN,or Steyr, for an educated comparison before choosing.
Reading the posts above, nearly all them.
lol

No offense to anyone but the USP Compact and the S&W M&P full size were my two least favorite handguns. Actually, no, the Glock 42 and XDS 9 were but still, my point is this, even though I don’t have a Glock 19 right now, it’s still probably my favorite handgun. Well the 92FS and the G19 are neck and neck. Just my opinion based on trying a lot of different handguns.

I have no qualifications and I’m definitely not a know it all. :)
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

I used to own pretty much nothing but Glocks when it came to handguns; had a pile of them in all flavors. Now all my handguns are H&K's (everything but VPs) and older German SIGs. I admit Glocks are reliable and I would trust my life to them, but I just shoot the H&Ks and SIGs much better and they are more comfortable in my hand (plus I have experienced the same reliability with H&K and SIG as I have with Glock).
MTURBO

Post by MTURBO »

Glocks are great for what they are. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to dress one up into a BBQ rig like the 1911's. :naughty:
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I love my 17L. I call it my hand rifle.
I have a 19 and 26 but I normally carry a H&K USPc in 9mm or a Rock Island 3.5" .45acp.

I like them but I'm not a fanboy. Too many other great options to limit myself to just one design.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I have had a whole slew of handguns over the years. Metal and plastic. I tried a glock of some flavor some 10 yrs ago and hated it.
Recently I was still on the look out for a happy carry gun that would be light and be well supported and they had come out with the gen5 with no finger doodads and I bought a 17.

It was way better than I had remembered. It turned out to be a touch large for everyday use so I sold it and got a gen5 19.

Its not beautiful like some of the others I have had. it has the ergo's of a brick compared to a CZ but .. it is simple, I don't care if it gets love bumps, I shoot it well, its lightwieght and in a leather pancake holster I can wear it all day in the heat and never know its there.

One of the best features though is how well supported it is. Guess I am getting more pratical in my old age but buying somewhat off brand guns means getting the sights you like and other "upgrades" is near impossible to find.

Every gun part maker makes something for the glock and I get to put my favorite TFO sights on.

Below is the 19 at 9 yds and that is 50 rds. I can usually get a bit tighter with my Revolver but for 15 rds at the ready I am happy with the performance of the little glock.

I just sold off my 1911 to buy a glock 20. Yea the 1911 is a sexy beast that shoots and feels like a dream but it was a range toy. I do still have a turkish CZ clone around though in 9mm .. it just feels so good in the hand.
Chinaheart

Post by Chinaheart »

I'm primarily a Sig guy. (Older P series, not their new junk)

That said, my Glock 19 is my goto, do it all, old trusty pistol. Road Trip, I grab the Glock. Going to "that" part of town out of necessity, I grab the Glock. Doing outdoorsy stuff in the middle of nowhere, I grab the Glock. When friends ask my opinion of the one pistol to buy if they can only have one, Glock. When SHTF, odds are I'm bringing the Glock (along with a good rifle of course).

That said, I once had an "issue".
I had my Glock 19 for maybe 10 years at the time. It's always gone bang, except when it didn't. I was at an indoor range, and it went click. Tap, rack, click. Tap,rack, click. Tap,rack,click. You get the idea. Long story short, the tip of the firing pin (striker) somehow broke off. Don't know how, why, or when. It was just broken.
Everyone online said contact Glock, they'll make it right. Well for me they were willing to make it right if I pay shipping to and from and pay for parts and labor. So in the end, I just picked up a firing pin on eBay for $30 an did it myself.

It's still a great gun, and I'll still carry it from time to time. But an issue like a broken firing pin is something that definitely makes me think long and hard before I ever buy another one.
airedalex2

Post by airedalex2 »

I owned S&W,and Sig. Both were accurate and reliable. Got a Glock 17 when they first came out. Also accurate and reliable. Went to a Sig armorers school. Not too complicated, I believe the 226 had about 80 parts. Went to a Glock armorer school, 17 had I believe 30 something parts. Glock rep had 20 of us stand at the seven yard line, each of us had 2 fully loaded 17 rd mags. He handed the person on the left a Glock 18. Each person fired a 17 rd mag, full auto, and passed the gun to the person on their right. After 20 of us fired, the rep dunked the gun in a tub of water. The gun hissed and sizzled. He retrieved the gun shook off the excess water, walked back to the seven yard line and fired a full magazine, full auto, and again passed it down the line and we all shot another mag. Simple,durable. I have some guns that are beautiful walnut and blue steel. Most of my guns are tools and they have to work reliably when I need them.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

"To each his own"!
PWilliam

Post by PWilliam »

I love my Glocks for carry, but will be spending buck soon on a 1911 range queen. I just can't get behind another platform for daily carry. My G19 is perfect for it.
Copperhead
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Copperhead »

I carried a SA 1911 for years. This beautiful stainless pistol was a factory lemon however. After many failures on the range I could no longer trust it with my life as a daily carry. I carried N frames for awhile but really needed an auto most of the time for easier concealed carry.
My criteria was simple; reliable, concealable, so ugly that I don't care about nicks and wear.
SO obviously Glock was the answer. I bought a G30 and it is perfect for the job. The thing that I didn't count on though, was that even with the ridiculous trigger I could not miss. Dang thing shoots very well and the Hydra-Shoks seem to be guided missiles, as if they seek out the center of the target by themselves.
I now own a 20, 21, 30, & 36
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

I have 1 or 2 Glocks and about 300 Glock magazines. I also own more HK's, Smith and Wesson M&P's(and 3rd gens), Sigs, XD's than I probably should.

But yeah, I like Glocks. I have a few extremely valuable ones, but no Gen 1 Glock 19's, sadly