44 Magnums

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 44 Magnums

Post by Flash »

MarkItZero wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:27 pm
Flash wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:22 pm Interestingly enough, you can buy new production single actions from other manufacturers that are still made the old way with no transfer bars and a lot of people (me included) prefer them.
Is it just the nostalgia thing and a desire for historical accuracy? I have limited experience with cartridge single action revolvers (do own a few black powder 6 guns) but it seems like having a safer gun that holds one more round would be better?
It's partly a nostalgia thing, but it's a very small part. When you cock one of the guns without the transfer bar, you get 4 clicks. Some people, me included, hear: C O L T Click, click, click, click.

The main part is you end up with a better trigger IMO.

Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Isn't that why they would half cock.the hammer. So they could put all 6 rounds in and not have it go off if dropped?
Flash

Post by Flash »

Elk34 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 6:23 am Isn't that why they would half cock.the hammer. So they could put all 6 rounds in and not have it go off if dropped?
No, it isn't. Half cock is strictly for loading the gun. There's a safety position, but it's generally felt it might not be strong enough to survive a drop on something hard, so no one trusts it as a safety either.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I wonder how Clint Eastwood would carry his 44?
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

Flash wrote: October 11th, 2019, 6:32 am
Elk34 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 6:23 am Isn't that why they would half cock.the hammer. So they could put all 6 rounds in and not have it go off if dropped?
No, it isn't. Half cock is strictly for loading the gun. There's a safety position, but it's generally felt it might not be strong enough to survive a drop on something hard, so no one trusts it as a safety either.
Thus the saying "Don't go off all half cocked"...
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

This was one of my favorites.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Elk34 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 7:35 am I wonder how Clint Eastwood would carry his 44?
He'd carry it with 6 in the chamber because it's a double action Smith & Wesson & has a hammer block IIRC.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Elk34 wrote: October 11th, 2019, 7:35 am I wonder how Clint Eastwood would carry his 44?
One of my all time favorite movies. Saw that one in the movies as a kid and now own 4 of the cop movies on DVD.

Hmmmmm Considering he hit the dude with the first shot at about 60 yds with a one hand hold while gnawing on a hotdog ... I think he can carry it any damn way he pleases!! :D

Im a little jealous. He is a fair bit taller than I am so he can carry that beast under a sport coat .. at my height I think I would need a trench coat and 5 minutes to draw.

As far as which .44 .. I have never had a Ruger in .44 but have been drooling over this boy for a while
https://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/ ... /5059.html

I did have 2 629's post lock and they were a hoot to shoot and never gave me a bit of trouble. You really cant go wrong with either comany. I have decided that about 4" is my limit on handguns for being quick, handy, I shoot well and are easy enough to carry if its something you want to wander the desert with.

You cant go wrong with either the S&W or Ruger. I have examples of each in .357 and there are differences but in practical use they are not very different.

I consider my Rugers to be kind of the Glock of revolvers. The cylinder doesnt snap into place as soundly and as satisfyingly as my smith and other tolerances are not as bank vault snick snap like a fine machine but .. because of that it is not finicky, will shoot anything, doesnt mind a bucketful of dirt and is bone simple to work on and slick up. Others will certainly disagree but if I were asked to bring a revolver into a combat situation or those fun end of the world scenarios it would probably be the ruger. It is not nearly as sweet as my smith. it doesn't feel like a nice watch like my smith but I think I could drop it out of a second floor window into a mud puddle, shake it off and fire.

Of course means permitting .. you could get one of each!!

I miss my .44. I wasnt reloading when that last ammo shortage happened and I couldnt feed it so I let it go. In hindsight ???
I have since taken up reloading soooooo ... Maybe on the next bargain I will have to crack open the wallet.

Edited to add
OH! and its got to be steel .. come on was that a real question!? :mrgreen:
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

hmmm... another thread i post to and it has disappeared- whats going on... I'l just take my toys and go to some other sand box.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I don't remember seeing your post. Post it again please
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

My first handgun was a SS Ruger Super Blackhawk 10.5" Barrel. Bought new at Pistol Parlor in Mesa on my 21st birthday. $195.00 That was in the 1980's Still have it and will never sell it. Its been on countless hunts, and in a bit of misguided youth stupidity i sent it to Magnaport to get there treatment. I would not recommend that today. Been thru probably 5 sets of grips on it, replaced sights, polished parts. I was big into the silhouette thing back then but the 10.5" barrel is too long for anything i do these days. I have several other 44's from Desert Eagles to S&W 629's to Ruger GP100's. Its also a great cartridge in a lever action for some things. I usually carry a Lever gun in .44 when ever i am out in the woods with my Jeep or Quads. Its not the most powerful handgun cartridge in the world.... Buts it is a fine proven cartridge that fills a need for many.
Flash

Post by Flash »

IMO, the .44 Magnum is about the hardest kicking handgun that the average person can shoot well. Recoil beyond that of a .44 Magnum is too much for just about everyone except hard core big bore handgun nuts.

I've only got 2 of them, both 3 screw unconverted Rugers, but I love 'em.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Basically I said that Ruger's can handle much higher (hotter) loads than S&W... The S&W is the svelte blonde and the Ruger is the d*k*... maybe that's what got my post deleted.... I'm a politically incorrect deplorable...

When my hands had fewer wrinkles I could shoot my 500 S&W between 30 and 60 times with full power loads (you gotta have a tight grip on it) but it got so I couldn't handle the recoil any more so I sold it. The 44 Mags are starting to get the same way... after a few rounds I notice I start to flinch just before touching one off- gotta mentally relax and not allow that to happen... or reduce the powder charge.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Flash wrote: October 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm IMO, the .44 Magnum is about the hardest kicking handgun that the average person can shoot well. Recoil beyond that of a .44 Magnum is too much for just about everyone except hard core big bore handgun nuts.

I've only got 2 of them, both 3 screw unconverted Rugers, but I love 'em.
I thought so too back in the day. But a good friend of mine ( God rest his soul ) told me to load my ammo for low recoil and shoot a lot. As I get use to the recoil I just need to load a little hotter and work my way up to the magnum loads. So I did. After , I don't know, 5 or 6k rounds my wrist got stronger and I could shoot magnums well. There is a trick though. Let the gun rotate in your hand and let it kick over your shoulder not into your face.
O if you run lead, before you stop.for the day run 2 or 3 copper jacketed bullets through it. It will clean it out very well.
mifsuud
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by mifsuud »

Ruger Super Blackhawk. I don't need to rapid fire .44mag so a single action works fine. I am also cursed with stumpy fingers eliminating many double action revolvers due to frame. .44mag is a hunting/target round, way too much for bipedal self defense. I do have a couple .44spcl revolvers I use for defense.
Last edited by mifsuud on October 12th, 2019, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.