44 Magnums

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

44 Magnums

Post by Elk34 »

So here I go. I'm asking all you old guys out there. Who do you think makes the best 44 mag, what length of barrel and steel or aluminum?

shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 44 Magnums

Post by shooter444 »

I am a dyed in the wool, lifetime 44 mag believer! I have owned just about every make and model out there, over the past many decades.

I must say, your question is a bit too general. But, I'll start by saying,... S&W has a great reputation, their N frame 44's are great, I have owned Stainless, Blued and aluminum alloy framed examples. I like steel framed 44's. I have found the lite models to pull bullets, from heavy recoil, just when I would rather it didn't. 8-)

Ruger is my other favorite. Doesn't matter to me if single action, or, double action, they are all work horses to me.

Now, getting back to my comment, on not being specific enough,... I feel one's intended use has a great influence on choosing a 44 mag. For range work and defensive carry,... S&W is my choice, with appropriate barrel lengths.

On the flip side, the Ruger 44 mag tanks are my choice for hunting.

The only major difference between the two makers, is, the trigger,... imo. For double action use, S&W has a much faster and cleaner reset. If I push a Ruger trigger, as fast as I can a S&W, I find myself short-stroking every once in awhile. Which is why I prefer S&W for defensive carry.

I'll skip barrel length suggestions, mostly because barrel length is a choice directly associated with intended puropse/use.

Hope this helps!
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I like my Super Blackhawk alot...sturdy, tight, and has never let me down
Flash

Post by Flash »

Super Blackhawk with 4-5/8" cut down barrel was my woods bumming gun when I lived in Alaska.

Rugers will last forever with minimal maintenance and you won't shoot one loose like you can with some Manufacturers' guns.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

One thing to note on the Ruger single actions though, they had a flaw in the design in the older ones that if struck, the hammer would discharge the round in the chamber without cocking or pulling the trigger (ask me how I know).

They fixed this and offered recalls to the older models. They will last many liftimes, and are great pistols, I have a few.
Last edited by cool arrow on October 10th, 2019, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

cool arrow wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:16 pm Oone thing to note on the Ruger single actions though, they had a flaw in the design in the older ones that if struck, the hammer would discharge the round in the chamber without cocking or pulling the trigger (ask me how I know).

They fixed this and offered recalls to the older models. They will last many liftimes, and are great pistols, I have a few.
Point of order:

It wasn't a flaw in the design, it was deliberate in early Single Action design and was that way for around 100 years. Almost everyone knew to only load 5 rounds in the cylinder and have the hammer/firing pin resting on an empty chamber. It was because some didn't know that Ruger changed that.

Interestingly enough, you can buy new production single actions from other manufacturers that are still made the old way with no transfer bars and a lot of people (me included) prefer them.
MarkItZero

Post by MarkItZero »

Flash wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:22 pm Interestingly enough, you can buy new production single actions from other manufacturers that are still made the old way with no transfer bars and a lot of people (me included) prefer them.
Is it just the nostalgia thing and a desire for historical accuracy? I have limited experience with cartridge single action revolvers (do own a few black powder 6 guns) but it seems like having a safer gun that holds one more round would be better?
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

Dangerously Flawed Firearms That Could be Recalled Under
The Firearms Safety and Consumer Protection Act

Sturm, Ruger & Company's Old Model Single Action Revolver.

More than 600 people, including children, have been killed or injured by unintentional discharges from Old Models.

This revolver was manufactured from 1953 until 1972. It incorporated no positive safety device
and is therefore extremely prone to discharge when dropped or bumped.
The design of the gun
was modified in 1973 to include a transfer bar safety, which prevents the gun from firing when
dropped. However, by the time the gun was redesigned, 1.5 million of the original revolvers
were in the hands of consumers. It was 10 years before Sturm, Ruger took any action to
remedy the hazard posed by the Old Models. In 1982 the company offered to retrofit Old
Models with a transfer bar safety, but only a fraction of the guns have been retrofitted.

The company still distributes flyers telling owners of Old Model revolvers, "Ruger wants to give you,
and install FREE, a unique new improvement." Consumers are never warned that the guns
present a serious safety hazard. Despite Ruger's knowledge of the defect in the design of the
Old Model, the company still refuses to issue a recall of the guns.
Even though the guns are
old, they still cause death and serious injury. For example, in 1990 Andrew Baxter, a minor,
was shot in the abdomen when his father's Old Model unintentionally discharged. The gun was
manufactured and purchased in 1968, more than 20 years prior to the accident.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Thank you very much for the info.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I'm with flash, again,... I have a special appreciation for my Uberti 1873 SAA 45 Colt with the old model frame. There really isn't anything, IMO, that has the class and ease of use, than a Colt SAA clone.

As to ignorant/stupid people, doing stupid things, like feeling that they need a full cylinder in a SIX shooter, that never carried SIX by safety first owners, since the 1800's,... I can only ask,... FOR WHAT PURPOSE ?
THE ICEMAN

Post by THE ICEMAN »

Flash wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:22 pm
cool arrow wrote: October 10th, 2019, 1:16 pm Oone thing to note on the Ruger single actions though, they had a flaw in the design in the older ones that if struck, the hammer would discharge the round in the chamber without cocking or pulling the trigger (ask me how I know).

Point of order:

It wasn't a flaw in the design, it was deliberate in early Single Action design and was that way for around 100 years. Almost everyone knew to only load 5 rounds in the cylinder and have the hammer/firing pin resting on an empty chamber. It was because some didn't know that Ruger changed that.

Interestingly enough, you can buy new production single actions from other manufacturers that are still made the old way with no transfer bars and a lot of people (me included) prefer them.
I own a couple Ruger 'Old Model' revolvers that have not been converted. Loading them to carry safely is very simple... Load one, skip one, load four more...
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Iceman,... seems like there is something else going on with folks who can't control themselves from loading six. I recently got back into a 1911. I picked up some extra mags, and when I related to a very good and close friend that I bought 7 round mags,... he seemed just a bit put off that I didn't buy the newer versions that hold 8 round versions. When he asked why, and I told him the weapon functioned perfectly for the first 100 rounds, just out of the box, with the 7 round mag it came with, and, the piece has a good reputation for dependability/function with 7 round mags for over 100 years,... he didn't seem to be impressed, or convinced.

Long boring story about my mindset and traditional pieces,... just thought I'd share.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

Why do 44 mag enthusiasts gotta be old? :D

I have a few S&W 629 44's. Probably like the 6" version the most.
I load them light.

Don't forget to pick up a 44 lever action.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

I have a marlin in 44 and 444. They are absolutely the most accurate large bore lever guns I have ever had. The 444 goes through bushes and stays on target without a problem.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Elk34 wrote: October 10th, 2019, 8:28 pm I have a marlin in 44 and 444. They are absolutely the most accurate large bore lever guns I have ever had. The 444 goes through bushes and stays on target without a problem.
Very true, I have read a lot of folks saying there is no such thing as a brush gun/caliber that won't deflect off of branches,... I have a pre-safety Marlin 444 I had shortened to 16" that amazes me how it penetrates 8 and 10 inch trees like butter and continue through to my target. I pack it in the mountains I ride in, that are chock full of black bear and cat,... without a second thought.

I had a Marlin 44 mag that seemed to peter out at around 90 yards, so, I traded it off. I didn't think it performed any better than the Ruger Redhawk I had.