Is it safe to shoot a 22 long rifle in a

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Is it safe to shoot a 22 long rifle in a

Post by thom »

Is it safe to shoot 22 Long rifle in a 22 magnum? I was always told NO WAY. That is the reason gun makers have 2 different cylinders for 22 revolvers.

Thanks
Thom

Lobo2087

Re: Is it safe to shoot a 22 long rifle in a

Post by Lobo2087 »

No, smaller diameter and is likely to burst if you shoot it in 22mag chamber
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Well, there is a difference between SAFE to shoot vs. ADVISABLE.

The .22lr is a .223 diameter bullet, while the .22mag is a .224 pill. That's not much, but it can make an accuracy difference. So all things being equal, a .22lr projectile could perhaps not engage the rifling as positively as the .22mag projectile. But is that unsafe? I don't think so.

However,...because the .22lr is a "heel-crimped" cartridge and the .22mag is more like any other traditional straight wall crimped cartridge like .357mag or .44mag, the chamber diameters between the lr and the mag are different. The .22lr case diameter at the neck is .226,...barely larger than the projectile itself (as a result of the aforementioned heel-type crimping). But the case diameter at the neck for the .22mag is .242 inch. This means that when you fire a .22lr in a .22mag chamber, the .22lr case expands and stretches more than it does in a chamber cut for the .22lr! Usually such cases hold together and don't rupture, but occasionally the brass can split.

Separate from all this, a projectile from a .22lr fired in a .22mag chamber will have to "jump" a very large leade before it engages rifling. This can be hard on a pure lead bullet and potentially result in stripping the surface lead from the projectile and have a bullet that doesn't get appropriate rotation to fly straight.

But in practical experience,...I can't say it is "unsafe". With the possible exception of lead depositing in the chamber shoulder which could result is a .22mag round producing higher pressure when fired due to that sort of fouling.

I myself, in my younger more foolish days, used to shoot .22lr in various .22mag stuff all the time. Other than an occasional split case, never had an issue. The bulk of my experience doing this was with a .22mag derringer I used to own.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

I've done it with one of them cheap rough rider guns never had an issue. It was by mistake I thought the lr cylinder was in it shot it all day.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I say NO, even on this board, too...but...sometimes you have to learn it yourself the hard way. Enjoy. :)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Some people will learn from other people's mistakes and some just have to pee on the electric fence.
thom

Post by thom »

The article in a gun magazine retracted the statement that it was ok to shoot.
Glad everyone here agreed.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

You'll blow/split cases and get mediocre accuracy at best.
Not the end of the world but still it's bad juju.
Did it years ago with a Marlin in my youth when I didn't know better and then wondered why the extractors kept popping off.
zebcoboy
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by zebcoboy »

Get yourself a 22LR rifle. The WRM is a larger dia. A BB in a boxcar. I would not try that.