Got drawn for Whitetail, need to buy a deer rifle. Model & caliber suggestions?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
knockonit
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Got drawn for Whitetail, need to buy a deer rifle. Model & caliber suggestions?

Post by knockonit »

never got any closer than about 400 yds, always across canyon or just going thru a saddle before i could pop one off, most of my deer in Az. shot with a rem700 270, simple 3x9 scope, sited in at 250 yds, its shot more critters than my shot gun has shot birds. son in law dropped a few with it, till i gave it to him, hehe, now he hardly hunts. just a small set of neck binos 7x35s; glassing was done with a large set on tripod, me and the hunting buddy, always did our home work, no matter what the critters just knew it was hunting season, best of luck, oh yeah, used a home made sling shot to chuck rocks into bottom of canyons to see what we could scare up, as noted, the elusive white tail is one wiley critter, relation to the coyote i believe
Rj

shooter444

Re: Got drawn for Whitetail, need to buy a deer rifle. Model & caliber suggestions?

Post by shooter444 »

knockonit wrote: July 12th, 2019, 2:23 pm The coues deer is the wiliest 4 legged critter there is, had'm sneak in on me, quiet as a friggin church mouse, I've hunted them all over the state in the day back when, one of the toughest hunts ever was 22, but also had some of the biggest bucks i'd ever seen, although down Patagonia way abour 30 years ago, pretty sure the one i saw had mated with a friggin muley he was so friggin big, chased him nigh on a week, till he wore me down, but did get a helluva scare from a mt. lion, ugh, though i was gonna have to kill him

good luck with hunt
Rj
I have wondered for awhile, what species of deer are here in S/E Az., that come off the open desert into my pasture for the horse trough when it get real dry, like now,... thanks! Just scared off a half dozen, last week. I quit hunting decades ago. I guess that is why they don't fear coming for water on my place,... :D

During season, I usually see a bunch of bucks, bunched together on the forty acre parcels in my area,... evading hunters out on the adjoining state land.

Annnd, I hear ya loud and clear, on the mountain lion scenario. Only thing that could get on my nerves, was the feeling I was a mouse being screwed with by a cat while riding/packing into the Chiricahua Mountains. I always figured whatever I carried, I wouldn't be fast enough in a cat attack.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hehe, the ranch was out at base or there abouts of the chiricahua Mts. , ole man leased 64 sections and have still have 200 acres deeded land, moved off it over 57 years ago, awesome country, and whole lot more critters than one would think is there, all the reason Geronimo hung out there on his way south

happy friday, and good luck with the hunt, just the going is mostly the best part for me,n othing like being in mother natures hands.
Last edited by knockonit on July 12th, 2019, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redj

Post by redj »

knockonit wrote: July 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm never got any closer than about 400 yds, always across canyon or just going thru a saddle before i could pop one off, most of my deer in Az. shot with a rem700 270, simple 3x9 scope, sited in at 250 yds, its shot more critters than my shot gun has shot birds. son in law dropped a few with it, till i gave it to him, hehe, now he hardly hunts. just a small set of neck binos 7x35s; glassing was done with a large set on tripod, me and the hunting buddy, always did our home work, no matter what the critters just knew it was hunting season, best of luck, oh yeah, used a home made sling shot to chuck rocks into bottom of canyons to see what we could scare up, as noted, the elusive white tail is one wiley critter, relation to the coyote i believe
Rj
I know you like to tell stories and I figured you would say something like this.
In another thread about rangefinders you said and I quote

" i've bagged animals all over the world, not one with a scope, not one with a range finder, "

Now you say you used a 3x9 scope that has shot more critters than your shotgun.
So I have to ask were you lying then or are you lying now ?

Here is the thread you posted in.
Page 2 second post down.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1401&start=15#p4842
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

hehe, you read into it what you want, doesn't bother me at all, i know what i did, and where i have been, and what i shot and how i shot it, create all the issues you like, doesn't bother me at all.
thanks for looking and sharing
RJ
redj

Post by redj »

I am only " reading into it " what you said.
One post says one thing and another say's the opposite.
Both posted by you.
With one is the truth ?
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

its ok redj, i do embellish the story some, just the way life is when your youth has passed you and wished you could still do the things you love, every time a story is told its gonna be different, ending is usually the same though. I'll keep typing about my time on this earth, and share what i know and did, cause i can. and those hunting stories were decades apart, just in case anyone wondered.
redj

Post by redj »

You can BS all you want.
I don't know how old you think you need to be to tell BS stories but I am in my late 70's and still don't tell stories like you.
There is a big difference in embellishing stories and out and out lies just to try and impress people on a web site.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

knockonit wrote: July 12th, 2019, 4:50 pm hehe, you read into it what you want, doesn't bother me at all, i know what i did, and where i have been, and what i shot and how i shot it, create all the issues you like, doesn't bother me at all.
RJ
Hey Knockonit,... I see from this post, and all the blocked / FOE / ignore I have hiding the posts by the idiot,... he obviously has nothing to do tonight and probably forgot to take his meds,... and decided to be a self proclaimed web cop, against you.

Do yourself a favor,.... join me and many, many others, and just put him on your FOE / IGNORE list,... works like a charm!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Last edited by shooter444 on July 13th, 2019, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
redj

Post by redj »

shooter444 wrote: July 12th, 2019, 7:25 pm
knockonit wrote: July 12th, 2019, 4:50 pm hehe, you read into it what you want, doesn't bother me at all, i know what i did, and where i have been, and what i shot and how i shot it, create all the issues you like, doesn't bother me at all.
RJ
Hey Knockonit,... I see from this post, and all the blocked / FOE / ignore I have, hiding the posts by the idiot,... he obviously has nothing to do tonight and probably forgot to take his meds,... and decided to be a self proclaimed web cop, against you.

Do yourself a favor,.... join me and many, many others, and just put him on your FOE / IGNORE list,... works like a charm!!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Coming from the guy that was laughed off the original AZ shooting for his BS and ridiculously idiotic posts.
You even had to change your name from Leverman to shooter444 hoping nobody would notice.
Guess what ? It didn't work. We know who you are.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

no problem i get confused at times, and probably have some facts fouled up, but its no big deal to me, and i do tend to embellish some things, makes the story better to tell,

shot a lot of animals over the years, and don't anymore, got no gitty up to chase them, or hump the hills, and of course the eyesite thing is going, so, more fun to read about it and see pics of successful hunts.
big sale today, lotsa part and shooters going to be sold or traded.
thanks for looking
rj
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

KNOCKONIT,... YOU DON'T OWE ANYONE ON HERE AN EXPLANATION, OR AN APOLOGY.

What you are dealing with is what the psych pros call PROJECTION. He sits around in a scared paranoid inferior state looking for weaknesses in posts to make himself feel superior to others. PROJECTION is a classic psych phobia where by an individual transfers the rejected aspects of their personality onto the targeted individual.

Basically, a narcissists that contributes nothing to a format like this, and is only interested in attracting attention via conflict.

Monitors should take notice,... he should be banned,... he offers no contribution to this site.
redj

Post by redj »

So leverman (alias shooter444 ) you think I should be banned ? For telling the truth ?
Everything I posted was the truth..
Not one thing I posted was a lie or embellished ( as some say ).
As a matter of fact none of it was your business to begin with , yet you went ahead and had to jump in.
Besides I thought you put me on ignore. Why are you even reading this , let alone commenting on it ?
Anyway I am done. You can carry on from here.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

I don't know if you got a rifle yet, but if you want to go value, Ruger American or Savage are a good value out of the box. If you want to step up a bit, Tikka and Bergara are generally better (and more expensive). Vortex scopes are also a great value, and I'd use Warne rings. In regards to caliber, 260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor would be plenty for deer, and you could even use it on Elk, with less recoil than .308.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

Who cares!!!! RJ always posts interesting stuff to read and I personally like it. If he tells it like a fisherman I don't care. I remember him saying on another site that he used to bass fish so you know how to take that anyway, all of us fisherman are full of s***.

I had a friends GPA tell us once, believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. He is a wise old 92 in August.