Got drawn for Whitetail, need to buy a deer rifle. Model & caliber suggestions?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Ballistic Therapy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Got drawn for Whitetail, need to buy a deer rifle. Model & caliber suggestions?

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

We are talking about Coues Whitetail.
They are not much bigger than a German Shepherd with long legs.
One of the hardest animals to hunt in Az , some say the entire US.
I have hunted them for years. There is not a rock or hill in southern Arizona I have not climbed hunting them.
Over the years I would say that an average shot is 300 yards or more.
Yes I have killed them closer but they are a very elusive animal and it is not easy to get a big buck.
You will need a good gun with a good scope that will reach out to kill them humanely.
A 30.06 is what I have used the most.
There are lots of other calibers that work just fine.
I also recommend a good scope and a good range finder.

GunSmoke

Re: Got drawn for Whitetail, need to buy a deer rifle. Model & caliber suggestions?

Post by GunSmoke »

Range finder is on the purchase list for sure.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

What power Scopes and binoculars are you guys using?
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Did you get drawn with other people, or on your own?

What unit?
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

With one other buddy (group), unit 21.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Have you guys scouted that area in the past?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

GunSmoke wrote: July 11th, 2019, 5:37 pm What power Scopes and binoculars are you guys using?
I have a variable scope but I keep it on 6X .
For binoculars get a pair of 10x50's or bigger.
I would also suggest a good tripod to go with the binoculars.
The binoculars are more important than the scope.
You will spend hours looking through the binoculars and only a few minutes if that looking through your scope.
My binoculars are Swarovski , my scopes are Leupold and my rangefinder is a Leica.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I recently got back into hunting again as well. I ended up with the Savage Trophy Hunter in 30.06.
I chose that caliber because I also started putting in for Elk, and finally got drawn!! I like the 06 for the wide range of bullet weights.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

He hunted there last year, I've only ridden and camped out there.
Vinnie B

Post by Vinnie B »

Prepare to spend some money but like others have said, it's a great excuse to do so. I have hunted them with everything from a 30-30, 270, 30-06 etc Right now I am using a 7 SAUM, before that it was a 257 Weatherby for deer. Keep in mind, sometimes the canyon you are looking across can be 400+ yards across and there is no way to get closer unless you want to try and end up with a 50 yard shot sneaking in on him. Just about any caliber will do but don't sell yourself short and get something you can't hunt larger animals with. Do you put in for elk? do you want to go bear hunting?
For binoculars I would say 10x50 on the low end sitting atop a decent tripod and a good spotting scope to go with these. I use 15x56 Swarovski and a Leica scope. You will probably find yourself sitting for hours glassing, they are sneaky little animals and will pop up in your binos on a hill you have looked at for hours and you'll say where the F@(# did you come from. They are a fun animal to chase, which is why they have become so popular to hunt. Good luck on your hunt
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Good deal on a new Ruger American in 308 w/ decent glass here.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Thank you. I truly appreciate all the feedback guys. I'm really looking forward to this hunt.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

The seller is solid. I bought a stainless P89 from him a while back.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

The coues deer is the wiliest 4 legged critter there is, had'm sneak in on me, quiet as a friggin church mouse, I've hunted them all over the state in the day back when, one of the toughest hunts ever was 22, but also had some of the biggest bucks i'd ever seen, although down Patagonia way abour 30 years ago, pretty sure the one i saw had mated with a friggin muley he was so friggin big, chased him nigh on a week, till he wore me down, but did get a helluva scare from a mt. lion, ugh, though i was gonna have to kill him

good luck with hunt
Rj
redj

Post by redj »

knockonit wrote: July 12th, 2019, 2:23 pm The coues deer is the wiliest 4 legged critter there is, had'm sneak in on me, quiet as a friggin church mouse, I've hunted them all over the state in the day back when, one of the toughest hunts ever was 22, but also had some of the biggest bucks i'd ever seen, although down Patagonia way abour 30 years ago, pretty sure the one i saw had mated with a friggin muley he was so friggin big, chased him nigh on a week, till he wore me down, but did get a helluva scare from a mt. lion, ugh, though i was gonna have to kill him

good luck with hunt
Rj
What equipment did you use on your hunts ? 
Rifle , scope and such ?
How close did you get to the big guy ?