New to the Group, New to this Hobby.

This is the forum to visit to introduce yourself, ask basic questions regarding this community, the AZS.org site or general questions that you feel might be something that someone who is new to this site or firearms might ask. You will not be flamed or attacked in this forum for your questions.
sman08
New to ArizonaShooting.org

New to the Group, New to this Hobby.

Post by sman08 »

Good morning. New to this group, new to this hobby. Up until last February, I had never shot a gun. I always had an interest in them growing up as a kid but I grew up in California, my parents weren't a fan. I moved out to AZ a few years ago and after living here and some co workers who partake I decided to give it a shot. Went through some youtube videos and took a hands on basic class. Picked up a S&W M&P 9. Been going out to Shooters World and Ben Avery. Just looking around and having some fun. Just wanted to browse around here as I spend time online browsing forums blogs etc etc.

Crippledtrigger
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New to the Group, New to this Hobby.

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Not a hobby. It's an inalienable RIGHT. That's the problem with libtard brain washing. They think it's a hobby or about hunting. You may enjoy it and spend way too much money on it but it has nothing to do with those things.

Welcome and have a sheit load of fun but learn that gun control is about control. Dont believe me listen to the stupid but honest Eric Swallowswell. He at least tells the truth to a point.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Crippledtrigger wrote: June 24th, 2019, 11:47 am Not a hobby. It's an inalienable RIGHT. That's the problem with libtard brain washing. They think it's a hobby or about hunting. You may enjoy it and spend way too much money on it but it has nothing to do with those things.

Welcome and have a sheit load of fun but learn that gun control is about control. Dont believe me listen to the stupid but honest Eric Swallowswell. He at least tells the truth to a point.
Jeez brother step back from the second cup of coffee!!

Its a little early to jump on a new guy with " how dare you, its a god given right passed down in the sacred runes and any other thought is just wrong and anti American."

Cant imagine where people get that "gun people can be a bit odd thing" :dance:

Anyway .. to the OP .. welcome and yes it can be an amazing hobby, hunting implement or anything else you want to make of it. I guess by now you have figured out it isnt as easy to shoot well as it might appear in the movies. It is amazing how many different nuances there are and things to master if you want to shoot well. If someone would have told me years ago how important the placement of the pad of my index finger would be I would have laughed at them.

There are some competitive shooters or past competitive shooters and instructors on this board that can be a great help.

Do yourself a favor and dont settle for OK and you will be enjoying shooting for years to come. Oh and celebrating god some how!

I have been shooting about 35 years and still go twice a month with new things to try and things to perfect. Getting your stance, grip trigger pull all to jibe at once sounds like a breeze but it aint so. I see so many of my fellow shooters at the range that are satisfied with shooting patterns that look like they were fired from a shotgun and are happy with it. Not me. I just keep beating at it to be better and it keeps me going back.

Keep in mind that if you move from Hobby to self defense those skills transfer over. You dont want to be responsible for causing an innocents injury. Teaching yourself proper form so it becomes muscle memory will help lessen the potential.

You would think at my age it would be all old hat but I read something about grip technique or such and go .. "hmmmm .. I gotta try that" and it makes it fresh again. I start looking forward to my next range visit as I am leaving the range.

While I too carry for Self defense and because it is my right .. It is 99% hobby for me as well. Wait until you start reloading !! Ugh .. a whole new world to obsess over!! :mrgreen:
Crippledtrigger

Trust me, I'm the nice one. Wait till all the leave your crap in cali or stay there folks show up.

Seriously though, it's not about hobbies or hunting. Just wanted the reset that.

I said welcome.
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Welcome
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Nice to have you here! Tons of information to be had.
ex462

Post by ex462 »

Welcome. Glad you found us ,lots to learn here. Ask any questions and there will be someone to help you along the way.
azmp5

Post by azmp5 »

Welcome to the site. Sorry for the 1 guys reply where hes jumping down your throat about all that.... some of us dont need the 4th cup of coffee.

Seeing how you r new to gun ownership, the best advise I can give you is take training classes. The more the better off you will be. I'm personally not a fan of Ben Avery but they, just like shooters world, offer good classes. Enjoy and be safe. Now that you are a gun owner, you are at a whole new level of being responsible.
Crippledtrigger

Cowboy action shooting is a hobby.
Gun ownership is a right and one under fire.

Debate club is a hobby.
Free Speech is a right under fire.

Baking for a church social is a hobby.
Freedom to goto the church you choose free from persecution is a right under fire.

Going to bingo at the VFW or being a member of the Knights of Columbus are hobbies
Freedom to Assemble and association is a right under fire.

To be threatened your rights dont have to be in danger from a government entity. Proxy groups usually start us down that road. The Governments unwillingness to protect them is even more chilling to the free exercise of ones rights. That is when evil can rise up. Sound familiar?

Jumping down throats? Some of you guys grew up in wierd places I guess. Never dealt with opinions or pushback.

Again welcome. Ignore my crotchety arsholeness. Enjoy your guns but they are not a hobby. I love mine. I buy guns I dont like just because someone else thinks they are bad. I love shooting and am getting started in the Hobby of reloading after nearly 50 years of shooting. Better late than never I guess.

Bearing arms is a right. Hell, I feel it's a responsibility no different that voting. At least the acceptance of bearing arms as an inalienable right. You are being done a disservice if you are allowed to think of them simply as a hobby. They are the foundation of everything and allowing people to think otherwise is dangerous. Example...Like when people think food comes in a pretty package from a brightly lit pretty well stocked Grocery store. They can then flippantly talk about banning hunting or pet ownership or farming. It's called a slippery slope for a reason. Just because your not speeding down the slope at times, even if the movement is not noticeable doesnt mean you wont end up in the same place. Much like a whole generation or two of people born in California who think that infringement upon the right like the state has done is acceptable. Try taking their electronic devices or access to the internet away, it would make the watts or Rodney King riots look like a table top exercise. That's the way people should respond to the mere question of infringement.

People who want to infringe upon rights have become masters at boiling frogs. I'm very happy for you that you were able to jump out of the pot.
redj

Post by redj »

Owning guns might be a right , but you can still make guns and shooting a hobby.
I don't own a gun collection just because it is my right. I own one because I enjoy collecting and shooting certain types of guns. It's one of my hobbies.
As a matter of fact I have never bought a gun just because it was my right. I have always bought them because I enjoyed them.

To the OP , welcome and enjoy.
semperfisurveyor

Post by semperfisurveyor »

Lol, I’ve loved this forum for over a decade in its various iterations...welcome and enjoy👍🏼
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well its goldarn America, you can call it what ever you want, i call it my toy heaven, so fudge all who think otherwise, and welcome, some good info can be had here once you get around the bullshiaters, hehe, and I"m not one, hehehe or am i
happy joining up
Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Now when you think you have mastered that semi auto .. Pick up a revolver!! Fun as hell to shoot and shooting it well will be one of those things like driving a standard transmission that will be secrets for a few.

It is almost guaranteed to bring da Womens!! :)

Ok .. maybe not but its still fun.
IMightBeWrong

Post by IMightBeWrong »

Boriqua wrote: June 27th, 2019, 9:00 am Now when you think you have mastered that semi auto .. Pick up a revolver!! Fun as hell to shoot and shooting it well will be one of those things like driving a standard transmission that will be secrets for a few.

It is almost guaranteed to bring da Womens!! :)

Ok .. maybe not but its still fun.
Or don’t wait at all. IME shooting revolvers actually helps improve semi auto accuracy.