Motorcycle carry

Discuss carrying a firearm, whether it's concealed carry (CCW), open carry or other...
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Motorcycle carry

Post by Boriqua »

HDS wrote: April 16th, 2019, 12:29 pm I hate to say this but if you lock your throttle to draw your gun thats more dangerous than just drawing your gun and letting the bike cost. Having a holster of some sort on the bike would allow you to draw from said bike without trying to fight with what ever your wearing to get to gun. I find that drawing from the bike I can reholster and take back control of bike with less risk of loosing control of bike.
I have trouble thinking of many scenarios where shooting from a moving motorcycle is the answer of the day. Does the scenario exist .. sure but for the most part I have a gun on me for the same reasons I have one when in a car. Carjacking, being armed at my final destination and so on.

Truth is more than 50% of the people I run into at ranges cant score good hits at an air conditioned well lit indoor range, using the perfect stance and grip of the day at 10 yds. Hitting your target and not wiping out while moving along on a bike while possible .. is certainly not the best choice.

So lets hear it .. Fuk you alex you dont know what you are talking about.

I had to ride my stupid ass out of the 1977 Brooklyn black out at night.

While it was not a ton of fun riding out of this while they were setting tires on fire and closing streets and people kept leaping out to grab my bars as I passed .. I was glad to be on a bike because some people caught up in cars didn't have a good time of it.

There was no amount of portable firepower shot from a moving bike that was going to get me out of this. If I lost control and went down I was done.

I think the rig I will eventually make will allow me to draw left or right handed while still allowing a certain degree of comfort even when the wife joins me.

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Boriqua wrote: April 16th, 2019, 1:07 pm
HDS wrote: April 16th, 2019, 12:29 pm I hate to say this but if you lock your throttle to draw your gun thats more dangerous than just drawing your gun and letting the bike cost. Having a holster of some sort on the bike would allow you to draw from said bike without trying to fight with what ever your wearing to get to gun. I find that drawing from the bike I can reholster and take back control of bike with less risk of loosing control of bike.
I have trouble thinking of many scenarios where shooting from a moving motorcycle is the answer of the day.

Have you seen the documentary series Mad Max?

I happened to be in Sturgis a few years ago during the big Harley event, and surprisingly I saw quite a few people with firearms strapped to their bikes. It was usually a big ass revolver that would be impossible to shoot accurately while moving, but I'm sure it was all for show rather than practical application. Saw a few Winchester 94's in rifle scabbards meant for horseback.

Of course you're correct; most people can't hit a stationary target 25 yards away while standing still.

Maybe Ranger1/HDS could teach a course for us all.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I happened to be in Sturgis a few years ago during the big Harley event, and surprisingly I saw quite a few people with firearms strapped to their bikes.
I have seen some of those and the leather work is AMAZING!

The other thing to take into account on deciding bike mounted or person mounted. If anyone has ever been down or watched someone go down .. the bike doesn't miraculously stop where you do. So here you are with an angry "rodney king riot" type mob coming on you while you are seated on the floor and your bike is 20 yds away ... WITH THE GUN ATTACHED!

Is the gun mounted on the left side and the bike is laying on its left?

If the gun is on your person you can at least stand and draw and go down fighting. Often it only takes the sight of it or a round to go off and the slime find an easier target or it stalls them just long enough for you to get back to your bike and hope it starts.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Saddle guns were in addition to side arms. If you are serious about why you carry you really should have both for the same reason those who rode horses did. More so for reloading issues.

This said I always carried on body strong side. I figure shooting or hauling ass out of the situation is an either or prospect. At least that's what I told myself. Especially since I couldnt afford a second "saddle gun" or able to safely keep the gun if you leave your ride for what ever reason.

I quit riding in the late 90s cause I spent more time dodging igits than enjoying the riding experience. Add to that I used to really enjoy the ride from north central/north east Phoenix out to work and the range, i.e. goodyear buckeye, but that stopped after 3 officers/friends were killed going up or across the 303 by phucktards who think stop signs with white outlines are only a suggestion.

I had no use for bikes anymore after seeing those deaths. That's all I wanna say about that.

One of those guys was the one who opend my eyes to adult legos. All the fun modularity of the AR pattern rifle
HDS
Banned
Banned

Post by HDS »

Do you guys have any books published out there. I mean you seem to.know how everyone rides and what everyone can and can't do. Right? Assumption is the mother of all fu&k ups.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

No books. Can only talk about my own personal experience in answering the op's question. Not qualifying or quantifying anyone else's skills or lack there of and I could personally give a flying fuk what you do.

Guy asked a question on an open forum I answered. Don't like it. Don't read it.

Your assumption was I care in the least bit how you ride, carry or anything else you do. Sorry .. I dont.

Just dickin around on a forum to kill some time. If the op didn't want opinions he shouldn't have solicited any.

Please be sure to post video of you making 25 yd dead eye shots with your right hand while riding a motorcycle at 40mph. I would find it both entertaining and enlightening
Last edited by Boriqua on April 16th, 2019, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

HDS wrote: April 16th, 2019, 6:58 pm Do you guys have any books published out there. I mean you seem to.know how everyone rides and what everyone can and can't do. Right? Assumption is the mother of all fu&k ups.
Psst..your inner ranger is showing.
Sobrbiker

Post by Sobrbiker »

I take it not too many folks here have ever had a car bump them multiple times trying to run them off the highway, or been presented with lethal force while riding.
I didn’t mean to stir s***, just presenting my opinion, and the “cruise control” suggestions are actually pretty fkin funny to me-the first thing I do when I may have to maneuver is take the cruise off if it’s on. I can kick gears if I need to, but throttle control is not something to give up when a fker is trying to run you down.
No other method than support side carry, and lots of support side dynamic practice makes sense to me.
It amazes me that people that train to be in the mindset of “what if” in all sorts of borderline unrealistic scenarios don’t think attempted vehicular (or vehicle to vehicle) homicide in the valley is a potential to be prepared for.

I guess there’s a reason I’ve been here for years but rarely post. Have a great evening.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Sobrbiker wrote: April 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm I take it not too many folks here have ever had a car bump them multiple times trying to run them off the highway, or been presented with lethal force while riding.
I didn’t mean to stir s***, just presenting my opinion, and the “cruise control” suggestions are actually pretty fkin funny to me-the first thing I do when I may have to maneuver is take the cruise off if it’s on. I can kick gears if I need to, but throttle control is not something to give up when a fker is trying to run you down.
No other method than support side carry, and lots of support side dynamic practice makes sense to me.
It amazes me that people that train to be in the mindset of “what if” in all sorts of borderline unrealistic scenarios don’t think attempted vehicular (or vehicle to vehicle) homicide in the valley is a potential to be prepared for.

I guess there’s a reason I’ve been here for years but rarely post. Have a great evening.
It's funny you mention that. The time I went down hard next to the projects was just that. It was my first real street legal bike. A Suzuki gs450. I was maybe 17.

To this day I don't know what I did to piss this guy off but instead of jumping into the side rode I thought I could out run him. Young and dumb. He chased me down. Pulled up on my left then cut his wheel into me. At 60mph he just touched my peg but it made my front tire glance off the island. I went flying right over the bars and he never slowed down.

The thing I remember most was I was spinning on my belly and each time I made a revolution I could see my bike skidding along and gas was spilling out.

I was sure I was either going to be run over by the cars behind me or run into my bike as it burst into flame.

I learned that day that leather and jeans were no match for a Cadillac.

Now I just make way.
HDS
Banned
Banned

Post by HDS »

I put 85k in 4 years out here in the valley on my RoadKing and every day I went out I would have a close call. They just don't care.
G34

Post by G34 »

QuietM4 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm
Boriqua wrote: April 16th, 2019, 1:07 pm
I have trouble thinking of many scenarios where shooting from a moving motorcycle is the answer of the day.

Have you seen the documentary series Mad Max?

I happened to be in Sturgis a few years ago during the big Harley event, and surprisingly I saw quite a few people with firearms strapped to their bikes. It was usually a big ass revolver that would be impossible to shoot accurately while moving, but I'm sure it was all for show rather than practical application. Saw a few Winchester 94's in rifle scabbards meant for horseback.

Of course you're correct; most people can't hit a stationary target 25 yards away while standing still.

Maybe Ranger1/HDS could teach a course for us all.

Wow is there anything this guy cant do? Not that anyone has even seen him do anything, ha
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

HDS wrote: April 17th, 2019, 5:34 am I put 85k in 4 years out here in the valley on my RoadKing and every day I went out I would have a close call. They just don't care.

Every day? I've been riding for about 10 years, about 8,000-10,000 per year. I can count on one hand the number of "close calls" I've experienced. Granted, I don't ride as much as you claim to, but maybe there is one common denominator in your claims....you. Maybe you should take a defensive riding course. Or, maybe you are just an a**hole while on a motorcycle.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I used to commute from South PHX to North Scottsdale everyday on my bike. Only one close call with a car. Road debris just about got me weekly.

Hub cap almost took my head off one day. Bounced off my headlight after doing a little dance down the 60.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

XJThrottle wrote: April 17th, 2019, 10:46 am I used to commute from South PHX to North Scottsdale everyday on my bike. Only one close call with a car. Road debris just about got me weekly.

Hub cap almost took my head off one day. Bounced off my headlight after doing a little dance down the 60.
Road debris is the worst. I took a rock off my helmet visor going 80mph, cracking the face shield...scared the s*** out of me.

ATGATT really saved my ass that day.
HDS
Banned
Banned

Post by HDS »

QuietM4 wrote: April 17th, 2019, 9:54 am
HDS wrote: April 17th, 2019, 5:34 am I put 85k in 4 years out here in the valley on my RoadKing and every day I went out I would have a close call. They just don't care.

Every day? I've been riding for about 10 years, about 8,000-10,000 per year. I can count on one hand the number of "close calls" I've experienced. Granted, I don't ride as much as you claim to, but maybe there is one common denominator in your claims....you. Maybe you should take a defensive riding course. Or, maybe you are just an a**hole while on a motorcycle.
It was my only mode of transportation for 4 years. I lived in Sun city west and worked at Honeywell aerospace at the Phoenix Airport. I pulled all the OT I could get at the time. On top of that I rode with about 25 guys and their girls when I wasn't working. At night I would bar hop in Scottsdale and then back to SunCity. 4 sets of tires, 2 belts and a primary belt. I was hard on it a little. It's easy when your single to rack up the miles. Everyday someone would try to come over into my lane with me in it. It was always a woman trying to do her make up, drink coffee and beat the kid. Never looked to see if anyone was beside her.
But for some reason when you have a gun on and it can be seen by everyone they tend to give you more room