327 Federal Magnum and 32H&R mag - bullet and powder recipe preferences

Discuss ammunition and reloading topics here.
backcountry
ArizonaShooting.org Member

327 Federal Magnum and 32H&R mag - bullet and powder recipe preferences

Post by backcountry »

I'm using several combos. Looking for long range accuracy.

In 32H&R mag, I'm a fan of the Vitavhouri N340 and have started at 5.0 gr and a 110gr SP. I'm estimating 1025fps. Does anyone know if that's close?
I'm still looking for 327 load data using the N340. Any suggestions?

In 32 H&R mag, my 4227 load using 110gr SP, starts at 8.5gr estimating 1100fps and 10.0gr est. 1270fps,
in 327 , my 4227 load using 110gr SP, starts at 10.0gr est. 1200fps.
Hodgdon says minimum is 11.5gr using 100gr XLP.

I'm also using 231, 2400, and HS-6.

The shooter is a Ruger Blackhawk 8 and used mostly for 100 yard plus steel. I would like to work up to maybe 1200fps in the 32&R mag and 1450fps in the 327 Fed Mag.

Looking for load data. Especially for 115gr and 135gr cast SWC.

needsmostuff

Re: 327 Federal Magnum and 32H&R mag - bullet and powder recipe preferences

Post by needsmostuff »

Kind of an old post but,, what the heck.

If the goal is long range or any kind of accuracy and its a Ruger SA the first place to start is to check/verify the chamber throats are uniform and big enough. Your just spinnin your wheels if you don't.
Now recipe preferences ??? Sorry no can do . In the world of maximum 32mag and 327fed most good Ruger level loads are WAY outta the published data world and you just gotta get there your self,,,,,,slowly.

But I will point out some generalities . If velocity is the goal you will have to ditch the faster powders. 231,unique and even the HS6. Never tried the N340 but I suspect it is still a bit fast . These are all good for general purpose utility loads but will not get you where you want to go.
What you need is bulky , full cases of slow powder like the 2400, H10, or 4227. I'm even getting ready to try REL#7 :o,,, but it may be getting TOO slow.
backcountry

Post by backcountry »

needsmostuff,

Thanks much for the reply. I was beginning to think no one shot the 32's.

The 32 load data for heavy bullets is scarce. Most seems anemic in fear of older, less-robust sixguns blowing up.
Vitavhouri in particular is not popular enough in this country to see a lot of development efforts. This requires me to interpret and extrapolate. I really don't like this technique for estimating loads.

So I am doing what you proposed. Starting at minimum and working up slowly watching for pressure signs. So far, the 4227 and 2400 have shown promise.

Where are you starting with the AA#7 and the 327fedmag.
I think it was the 3.4 version from Alliant that showed 10.4 using 85g jacketed getting 1670 and 44k.
That seemed like dynamite to me. Just too hot.
The AA#9 using 13gr and 100 XTP got 1574 and 36,950psi.

Did I imagine these numbers or are they close ?
Please don't use these numbers without verifying. I copied them down, but they don't seem reasonable to me.

Prescut
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Nopenot AA#7 . I was referring to Reloader # 7 . An older powder getting a bit obscure .
Its actually thought of more as a fast rifle powder than a slow handgun powder. Slow enough that it should be pretty much a full case kind of thing without getting excessive pressure and medium high velocities. But , I haven't started testing it yet . Old manuals sometimes point to it for frisky heavy bullet 32-20 loads.
If you are wanting to stay with the Vihtavouri line I think I would investigate N110 based on the burn rate.
az6gun

Post by az6gun »

I started using 2400 years ago in the 32 H&R mag and never looked back. Now I have a Single Seven 327 Bisley and some .314 115gr RNFP lead bullets I'm working with and have tried 2400, H110, Unique etc and have come to the conclusion that Longshot is the powder after following fellow Ruger shooters.

https://singleactions.proboards.com/thr ... 27-federal
az6gun

Post by az6gun »

Something I learned early on about the 327 is that you need to use CCI 550 primers. This cartridge is notorious for piercing primers. I started with WINCHESTER SMALL PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS and some would pierce with each powder that I used. You will need Pin Gauges to correctly check the cylinder throats or you can send the cylinder to Fermin Garza and he will check them free of charge, If they need to be opened he can do the work and be In touch via a phone call, Fermin is a great guy to work with. If you or anyone else needs his contact info just PM me or you can send him a friend request on Facebook.
Hvalsoe
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Hvalsoe »

Hi,

Just short follow up on the .32 Magnum and N340 powder, as I have just charged my H&R .32 this weekend.

My soft loads with N340 is 4,3gr and bullet 100gr RN. OAL 36,46.

5gr of N340 seems high, but on the other hand, I am not chasing high energy, only soft recoils for terrain competition shooting. Some old note is stating max 1000fps for 90gr bullet (Lyman), and I am around this level, see ballistic curve from my load here;

https://khskytten.dk/turneringer/ordina ... ler-1.html

I have newer found a recipees for N340 in H&R .32 Magnum, just moved slowly forward and ended with the 4,3gr and N340.