300BLK

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 300BLK

Post by shooter444 »

Flash wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 6:52 am How to sight in your rifle with one shot:

Once your barrel and scope are lined up as best as possible, both aimed at the bullseye of your target, you’re ready to get going. Place the bolt back into your rifle, load your rifle with a couple of rounds in your magazine, and get your scope aimed right in the middle of the bullseye. Once you’re ready, and your scope is locked in on the middle of your bullseye just as if you’re about to take a shot while hunting, go ahead and take a shot.

Now that you have a bullet hole somewhere on your target, this is the important part. Aim your scope back at the middle of the bullseye just as it was before you took the shot. In this view in your scope, you should also be able to see the bullet hole you just made somewhere on your target. With the reticle still locked in on the middle of your bullseye, hold your gun as still as possible, use the turrets on your scope to adjust your scope to move the reticle from the middle of your bullseye to where your bullet hole is that you just made. It is ESSENTIAL to keep your rifle completely still while you adjust your scope to move the reticle from the bullseye to your bullet hole.

Once you’ve moved the reticle from the bullseye to your bullet hole, it’s that easy, you’re rifle is sighted in. You have just successfully adjusted your scope to align with the barrel of your gun, a much easier process than the inverse. Go ahead and take another shot or two if you want to confirm this worked, but as long as you held that gun still as you adjusted the scope’s turrets, you should be ready.
The above, perfectly explains the quickest way to get zeroed.

But if I may,... one thing that can help prior to the above, that I believe may make it a little easier/quicker to get to that point,... is,....

First, remove your upper from the lower.

Remove the bolt assembly.

Secure the upper in a vice of your choice, on a table, outside.

Now here is where you need to be creative. View down the bore and move the secured upper so you can place a VERY DISTANT object in the center of the bore. I live in a valley with mountain ranges all around me. I use a sharp mountain peak, any I choose are about 25 miles away, in my valley. A building corner, or a distant tree, whatever you have on the horizon will work.

Now, cautiously adjust you cross hairs to put the distant object in the center of your bore, in the center of your cross hairs.

This is called this BORE SIGHTING,... I have used it for decades, I have used it consistently to the point that I am usually only a few clicks off center bulls eye at 25 yards, which is where I start, on my pistol range.

Next, I measure from center bore to scope objective lens center. I take that measurement and mark a black dot, that distance, below the target's bulls eye center. I place the cross hairs on the bulls eye and make adjustments to get point of bullet impact to hit the black mark.

Now I am ready to move out to my rifle range and start working out to 100 or 200 yards,... which ever I want to do for the caliber I am scoped for.

And now, you can use the perfect advice given by FLASH, above, at this point.

That's all I can add,... good luck!
Last edited by shooter444 on March 4th, 2019, 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

In my opinion a chamber laser is faster and that's how I use 2 to 3 rounds to zero everything I have. I will just keep doing what I'm doing.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Well, if your laser quits on you, you may want to consider the above shortcuts that don't use one.

Just say'n. 8-)
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I've been trained to zero my weapon without lasers. But when I got out I found that lasers make things much faster. Now laser batteries only go in when u want it to work. So endless I'm out in no mans land I will fall back on my training. When I'm not I will use my lasers. Also considering the laser only has to work for 2 or 3 min. The batteries r good for a hell of a long time.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I have a 16" CMMG 300 BLK barrel and it too is real picky about supersonic loads.
I tried the shotgun approach to finding a load (6 bullet weights & 8 powders - 5 shots each at 25~ 200 yds) and went through 47 different loads. I only found a few I considered marginally accurate enough to meet my expectations...
Since I don't have a can, I never explored subsonic... Needless to say I'm not fond of that cartridge.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I hear you, loud and clear Harrier,... as I posted earlier, I wasn't happy trying to squeeze the 300BLK into a duel purpose caliber, as well. I don't do cans either, but, I was impressed with the groups and penetration I got, just over sub velocities,... around 1,200fps to 1,4000fps got me really nice results in a couple of different heavy bullets.

I settled on casting a Lee spear point with a lot of shallow lube grooves for my home made lube. I cast them in straight linotype which lightens them down to a little over 200 grains air cooled,... no leading, low recoil, excellent penetration,... what's not to like!
thom

Post by thom »

shooter444 wrote: March 1st, 2019, 4:57 pm
Flash wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 6:52 am How to sight in your rifle with one shot:

Once your barrel and scope are lined up as best as possible, both aimed at the bullseye of your target, you’re ready to get going. Place the bolt back into your rifle, load your rifle with a couple of rounds in your magazine, and get your scope aimed right in the middle of the bullseye. Once you’re ready, and your scope is locked in on the middle of your bullseye just as if you’re about to take a shot while hunting, go ahead and take a shot.

Now that you have a bullet hole somewhere on your target, this is the important part. Aim your scope back at the middle of the bullseye just as it was before you took the shot. In this view in your scope, you should also be able to see the bullet hole you just made somewhere on your target. With the reticle still locked in on the middle of your bullseye, hold your gun as still as possible, use the turrets on your scope to adjust your scope to move the reticle from the middle of your bullseye to where your bullet hole is that you just made. It is ESSENTIAL to keep your rifle completely still while you adjust your scope to move the reticle from the bullseye to your bullet hole.

Once you’ve moved the reticle from the bullseye to your bullet hole, it’s that easy, you’re rifle is sighted in. You have just successfully adjusted your scope to align with the barrel of your gun, a much easier process than the inverse. Go ahead and take another shot or two if you want to confirm this worked, but as long as you held that gun still as you adjusted the scope’s turrets, you should be ready.
The above, perfectly explains the quickest way to get zeroed.

But if I may,... one thing that can help prior to the above, that I believe may make it a little easier/quicker to get to that point,... is,....

First, remove your upper from the lower.

Remove the bolt assembly.

Secure the upper in a vice of your choice, on a table, outside.

Now here is where you need to be creative. View down the bore and move the secured upper so you can place a VERY DISTANT object in the center of the bore. I live in a valley with mountain ranges all around me. I use a sharp mountain peak, any I choose are about 25 miles away, in my valley. A building corner, or a distant tree, whatever you have on the horizon will work.

Now, cautiously adjust you cross hairs to put the distant object in the center of your bore, in the center of your cross hairs.

This is called this BORE SIGHTING,... I have used it for decades, I have used it consistently to the point that I am usually only a few clicks off center bulls eye at 25 yards, which is where I start, on my pistol range.

Next, I measure from center bore to scope objective lens center. I take that measurement and mark a black dot, that distance, below the target's bulls eye center. I place the cross hairs on the bulls eye and make adjustments to get point of bullet impact to hit the black mark.

Now I am ready to move out to my rifle range and start working out to 100 or 200 yards,... which ever I want to do for the caliber I am scope for.

And now, you can now use the perfect advice given by FLASH, above, at this point.

That's all I can add,... good luck!
Thanks, these help a lot.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

So OP, any updates for us?
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Sorry, been a bit busy. Finally made it out today. Used iron sights today and got it lined up quickly. Then went with the optic. Got it sighted in quickly too. All at about 25 yds. Moved out to about 50 and with the optic it was high. Made the adjustment and got it back in.

Appreciate all the input.

Was going to add a couple pics from my phone, but it's not working.
Bigfoot

Post by Bigfoot »

Forgot to mention I was using 147gr bullets this time instead of 124gr. Not sure if that's what it was, but they worked a lot better I think.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

I have used the method described by Flash for years, works very well.
Dogslayer
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

If a scope is so far off paper, that there is a major problem getting on paper,... bore sighting is a great short cut procedure to get on paper, and then set your piece in a vice and adjust the cross hair to the first shot fired, for a one shot sight in result, jmo.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

TheAccountant wrote: February 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm What distance were you trying to sight in at? I generally start at 25 and just eye ball it to get close and then move it back to 100. I can't imagine 80 rounds and not even getting on paper... I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but are you sure you were making the adjustments the right way and not backwards?
That's why I use a bore laser to get my sights set up at 25 and then when I know they are set I will vise my rifle and see where my bullets strike