AR 9mm pistol builds, the dark world

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
mikeAZ
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR 9mm pistol builds, the dark world

Post by mikeAZ »

If I understand the latest BATFE "clairification"... If your building a AR pistol (No matter caliber or the barrel lenghth). It's required that you to begin with a lower that has NEVER been a rifle. BUT should you decide that you would rather have a rifle (adjustable locking butt stock/ fore grip) that's legal... But you could never take a used rifle lower and make a pistol out of it?...That's illegal....Some report that you best have an "arm" strap on the pistol brace even if you never use it. Shouldering is ok for the moment.... Comments welcome

I suppose someone is working on a "bump" brace????... We shall see....

PK90

Re: AR 9mm pistol builds, the dark world

Post by PK90 »

Nothing new here. A receiver can be built into a pistol, then a rifle, then back to a pistol. If first built into a rifle, it can't be made into a pistol.

As fars as leaving the strap on, it gives the appearance that the brace is used as intended. But the KAK shockwave is not supplied with any. Hmmm.
mikeAZ

Post by mikeAZ »

Good to see some comment..... The Shockwave's seem to be popular.. Most of the buffer tubes have a larger o.d. so you can't install a normal AR butt stock, a good idea. Midway has their House brand barrels for sale in various lenghts and calibers, VG prices!!!..... A roll of velcro is only $6.00 @ Harbor Freight...... Probably a good investment if a strap suddenly becomes manditory (Never know which way the wind blows in BATFE land?????...
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

As long as you bought the receiver as a reciever not a pistol or rifle the books say it a reciever. So as long as you obey the rules for rifle and pistol build it the way you want. Swap it around the way you want. The books say it's a reciever it can go either way.
Scooter
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Scooter »

Never heard of the arm strap requirements.
And as for the buffer tubes, there are some “adjustable length of pull” arm braces that work on standard mil spec tubes.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

If your brace comes with a strap, keep it on. ATF is big on "intent" and "intended purpose". Not that the chance of you running into an ATF agent is that big...1/1,000,000.

I've got a few SB Tactical SB3 braces, the strap doesn't get in the way at all. Keep the brace as designed, and you are good to go.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Arm "straps" brace not needed IMO. Most of the 11st build pistols were just the pistol tubes with foam around it. Now days everyone has a brace on it. Sig, Kak, Thorsden etc
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

ATF uses the word "re-design". This is why you cannot put a rubber shoulder pad on a KAK blade...you are "redesigning" the brace from it's original intended purpose....that will land you in jail. Since I am not a lawyer, I don't know if removing the arm strap that was designed to be part of the brace constitutes a "re-design" in the eyes of ATF, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Pick up the SB Tactical SB3 brace...it fits on a standard M4 buffer tube, and is adjustable for length of pull, just like a standard butt stock. It's a pistol brace with a velcro strap...leave it on. Build your pistol as you wish. If the brace happens to find purchase on your shoulder during the normal course of fire, so be it...it's pretty comfortable.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

With the recoil of a 9,45,10 or 40cal. I would just run a buffer tube. Shouldering a buffer tube is not bad. Just like using your magazine as a vertical grip on a pistol. It's part of the weapon nothing added. O by the way a lot of these arm.braces cost a lot. You could almost build another ar 9.