off grid

Discuss being prepared for contingencies and emergencies. Oh yeah, and the coming Zombie Apocalypse, of course!
Steve_In_29
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: off grid

Post by Steve_In_29 »

shooter444 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 8:20 am
Steve_In_29 wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:13 pm
shooter444 wrote: October 28th, 2018, 8:18 am ?"BAD"?,... what's so bad about a nice and cozy, draft-less, easy to warm with a simple small open fire, naturally camoed, cave domicile?

:confusion-confused:
Cave can be good for a dwelling, depends on the particular cave.

I thought you were indicating the person would have to revert to a "cave man" level of existence.

Yes,... of course you did,... wouldn't expect anything different.
That's because I am not a mind reader and can only go by what you wrote as I have no idea what it is you might be thinking when you right it.

Whole complete thoughts always help make things much clearer.

By the way just living in a cave doesn't necessarily mean the person is "off-grid" either. Caves can have grid power and plumbing, just takes some effort and a bit of money.

shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: October 31st, 2018, 7:32 pm

That's because I am not a mind reader and can only go by what you wrote as I have no idea what it is you might be thinking when you right it.

Hmmm,... if you ONLY went by what I wrote,... when I ____WRITE___ it,... we wouldn't have to regurgitate this drivel.
hackopt

Post by hackopt »

what's off the grid really going to do for you? It'll make current existence more of a challenge is all. You think if shtf you're good? Unless you have a private army, you'll be done, along with your family. A giant gang will roll up and move in.
Black_water

Post by Black_water »

IMO, the big population centers will always be primary targets of any governmental oppression. It takes very little effort to lock down Tucson or PHX and control millions; why bother with tiny enclaves?

I live in an unincorporated area of Cochise County, which is one of the best areas in the nation to live off grid. There are several communities here that are completely off grid. I am set up to go on indefinitely should the power etc go out, that's all I need. The SHTF, I just close my gate.

So more important than being able to turn the lights on when the SHTF, you need to make sure no one can see them and that hordes can't find you. If you are in a large population center, nothing you do is going to save you, period.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

hackopt wrote: February 1st, 2019, 11:26 am what's off the grid really going to do for you? It'll make current existence more of a challenge is all. You think if shtf you're good? Unless you have a private army, you'll be done, along with your family. A giant gang will roll up and move in.

Hey hackopt,... you have a very interesting point of view on this topic, but, I have to disagree with you just a little.

First,... I can't imagine any more of a challenge than trying to survive in a city with no electricity, no food source, no running water and therefore no working sewage system. All of that is a guaranteed formula for a really shitty experience, imo!

And,... I feel it will be the CITIES that are full of the "GIANT GANGS" :roll: ,... not the country side/remote areas! Street gangs would have to have some relevant training to come into my area, thinking they could just roll up and move in.

This is just my point of view, definitely from a different perspective than yours,... but, I guess that's what makes the world go-round! :whistle:
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

ooda wrote: October 16th, 2018, 11:11 am Would you considering living off grid if Democraps take the House and or Senate. I can see life can be a living Hell if they do. I rather struggle off grid than having Democraps telling me what is best for the American people. GOD help us if they win the White House. We don't need another loser like Obama.
Theres the little issue about the left hating preppers and would consider them rich like hoarders if s*** went bad. Obama already hinted at laws requiring reporting of resources of preppers for redistribution.

Hell most libtarded cities will condemn your property if you refuse power and water services. They could care less if you live in squalor cause you had them shut off but cancel them cause you go off grid is verboten!

Look at how some high profile off grid land owners have been treated in some places with unlawful right of way or eminant domain seizures and you will find out quickly that the libtards dont like independents in any form. They like them slightly better than the loud useful idiots so at least you'll get a heads up if they start the purge cause the outrage addicted who cant shut up will start disappearing first.

I would love to disappear off the grid quietly with a small footprint and way away from people. But, were all phucked since the internet is forever and we all advertised for years. But ya gotta dream and I hate people so yeah that's a good idea if you can do it.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Thinking you are going to be able to live in the middle of nowhere when it collapses is a pipe dream today. With the technology there is today there really is no place to hide unless you plan on never coming out of that cave and that's only if you were not seen dragging in supplies and closing it off.
Flash

Post by Flash »

There are a ton of places you could live off the grid in Alaska and nobody would ever bother taking the time and effort to try and find you.

And, there are quite a few people living out there.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Flash wrote: February 9th, 2019, 8:28 am There are a ton of places you could live off the grid in Alaska and nobody would ever bother taking the time and effort to try and find you.

And, there are quite a few people living out there.

Agreed !!! And, I would guess there are two factors of importance, to this point.

One,... they are probably not dragging in supplies from anywhere, or, they don't have to! This eliminates a major foot print factor.

Two,... unless you are a wanted person,... and even then I doubt it would matter,... as
Flash stated, no one caught in the extreme scenario we are hypothesizing, will be sought after anyway.

jmo
Crippledtrigger

Point of order, it takes a city to create a ghetto. Aka prison. Just saying.

There is making it easy and there is making it easy for them. Some dont have a choice and will have to play the cards dealt but understand the dealer in the city will be cheating to begin with.

They will probably go full Marxist and play groups against each other or allow it to happen to make their job easy.

If the bad s*** ever happens you will be living with no grid and no foot print or spending more time than needed fighting.

I yield mr chairman.
hackopt

Post by hackopt »

shooter444 wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 9:45 am
hackopt wrote: February 1st, 2019, 11:26 am what's off the grid really going to do for you? It'll make current existence more of a challenge is all. You think if shtf you're good? Unless you have a private army, you'll be done, along with your family. A giant gang will roll up and move in.

Hey hackopt,... you have a very interesting point of view on this topic, but, I have to disagree with you just a little.

First,... I can't imagine any more of a challenge than trying to survive in a city with no electricity, no food source, no running water and therefore no working sewage system. All of that is a guaranteed formula for a really shitty experience, imo!

And,... I feel it will be the CITIES that are full of the "GIANT GANGS" :roll: ,... not the country side/remote areas! Street gangs would have to have some relevant training to come into my area, thinking they could just roll up and move in.

This is just my point of view, definitely from a different perspective than yours,... but, I guess that's what makes the world go-round! :whistle:

Perhaps that sounded more abrasive than I meant. I'm just saying, aside from Alaska and the way outs, folks tend to have a way of hearding together, and often times the bad elements and seeming to get to where they aren't wanted. Az has a ton of way out of the way spots, as do many states but it's all imo, just a matter of time.

Agreed that the city would be a way worse place to be. I still see the wandering, fumbling into spots not expected...and then expecting things, b/c they are alive and feel entitled to them. Lots feel entitled. You have it and therefore, they should get some of it etc. That's full BS. If you are prepared you own no one anything. Charity is what it is, but not required.

So yes, off the grid, substantially, improves your odds a non betting man would go in on, but in reality, how many have the means, drive or option to be off the grid.

Thanks for the constructive convo. Hopefully this new board is more resolved than the previous.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well the first hurdle will be to get out of town, unless you know the city and some of the not well known exits, the usual exits will be monitored and guarded, the shiat bags always rise to the top when all things civil come to an end. and of coures, the means to get outta town, fuel, logistics, safety, one would do well to plan, as there will be literally thousands probably attempting this, and there is no easy way out of phoenix, only takes a little wreck or a road block to screw up the trip north, the west way, the east way, so. where ya going, and unless you are already there, well best of luck

as hopefully we never have to deal with this, but if so, the vast majority of the city folks will not survive, once being fed upon by the shiat bags.b

best to all if it comes to that.
Rj
Crippledtrigger

I havnt looked in ten years cause I've been living in Texas mostly and AZ part time at best, but a quick look at Google earth will show that just about most of north Phoenix can be exited by going north Into the desert. There are lots of trIls and 2 tracks that can get you out of areas of high density people. There are some passes to negotiate once you hit various foot hill type elevation changes.

I'm sure sprawl makes the following mute but, for example, any place from 7th ave to 7 street along union hills off the road going north would allow access to these routes. Other parts east to west are the same. I used to keep maps cause you would have no chance of getting out on freeways. Hell getting to freeways would be impossible. Now that north phoenix is probably anthem or further I'd have to recalculate.

Remember the Phoenix metroplex may be Tucson to Prescott, AJ to quartsite along various roads before long. You really need to be along the edges to have a chance. There are some directions you just shouldn't go unless you were uber prepared and the time was right. I would have to be very sure of things if I were to head out to the area south of I-8 west of I-10 for example.

I'm in the Dallas Ft. Worth area now and it makes Phoenix look small. Like parts southern California near LA it cant take hours to drive thru the massively dense city on the interstates, forget the surface street. The wife worked in cedar hills for a couple weeks and they got her a hotel cause it's like 4 hours if there is the least traffic and it's about 60 miles across dfw from the house.

I like where I live cause it's a peninsula into a large lake and far enough north that farms and open land isnt too far. Water and escape essentially, but the population has tripled in 9 years and that open land is too far to sneak to but there are a dozen small inlets to the lake that are wide densely treed routes out. They are also thick with rattlers copperheads and water mosicans. So kinda dangerous in winter but Russian roulette if tried at night in the spring time on.

Were moving half way to the red river next summer but I fear with ok city sprawling south and dfw sprawling north that may have too many people.

I cant wait till the kids are far enough thru college that we can get back home permanently and that will be up north somewhere. I used to like happy jack as it wasnt on the way to anywhere important or near areas that walking hoards would be transiting but it isnt so quiet anymore.

There is no free lunch. You always pay a price what ever you choose.

I probably ought to just kill my self as med issues will limit choices but I want someplace for family after I'm gone.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

Man, there are some salty AF people on this board. I love it.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

If the Dems take control of everything your fu#$ ed. If you think living off grid will save you well, maybe for a short time. The Dems will put together hunting parties to go out and get all those that are not paying their fare share. They will find you. You are not safe.