Roller lock platform

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Roller lock platform

Post by Pro2a »

So I'm reading one of my gun mags, and came across this article.
Although I've never delved into this area, and am only familiar with the historical glow of the MP5, I became intrigued about how the whole platform works.
And now I'm seeing that a budget build in .308 can be had for around $600, that's reliable as the day is long??? Not intending to torture test it, but I can see getting back into .308 with this interesting platform.
As a side note, along the same platform, I'm literally drooling over the coming of the "working man's" MP5, the PSA5.
Trying to figure out how to pre-order it and get these night sweats over with.

shooter444

Re: Roller lock platform

Post by shooter444 »

I traded into a PTR 91 GI many years ago with a fellow board member. Very nice and dependable piece, but, the ergonomics finally drove me to trade it off.😠

I still have a can of mags for it, with a new firing pin /w/spring and a set of #2 rollers,... just in case I ever wore out the originals.😀

When I read about Savage's 17hmr and 22mag delayed roller lock semi-auto;s,... I was, and I am still tempted to buy, just because!

Now that you have my attention,... which 308 roller lock rifle are you talking about?
lew

Post by lew »

My PTR-91 shoots nice little clover-leaf groups and recoils almost as softly as my FALs. I have no desire for another, but it's not going anywhere, and I'm sitting on a pile of mags and spare parts.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

shooter444 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:00 am When I read about Savage's 17hmr and 22mag delayed roller lock semi-auto;s,... I was, and I am still tempted to buy, just because!

Now that you have my attention,... which 308 roller lock rifle are you talking about?
I dunno, I just see that it says in the intro to the article I pictured says 308 kits can be had for $600 with CETME parts.

I bought the Savage A17 when it came out, and haven't regretted it since. It's a roller lock, guess I already have that platform......
A friend turned my attention the the round long before that, and it was just about the time that articles were saying that Savage has figured out how to make a semi-auto hmr17 that doesn't jam.
After about 400 FLAT shooting rounds, I don't recall a single malfunction yet.
If you're on the fence, feel free to get the cobwebs out of mine sometime, and you'll be buying one.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

PSA is going to break the internet when it finally starts shipping thier MP5 clone.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Those $600 Century rifles are their current production C308 model. The quality of those is VERY hit or miss as the parts are bottom of the barrel surplus parts kits.

I have two PTR91 GIR rifles and really like them. Though the LOP is a bit long for those of us with shorter arms. I just converted the plastic furnitured one to utilize the Magpul UBR Gen2 adjustable stock and am pleased with the results so far. The other rifle is stocked with surplus wood furniture and thus won't get an AR style stock.

I picked up a buttload of surplus G3 mags ($3ish a pop) when I bought the rifles.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

QuietM4 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm PSA is going to break the internet when it finally starts shipping thier MP5 clone.
If their Gen3 AK works out they will also make a huge splash and restructure that market as well.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

If you feel like taking a chance...
Century Arms RI3320-X C308 Classic Rifle .308 1-20rd. Magazine Wood Stock
$569.99
https://www.classicfirearms.com/century ... 2402701575
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm If you feel like taking a chance...
$569.99
You lost me at "Century". I joke, but I've had a few bad experience with their AK's. I trust PSA to make a good product. I talked to a few of their engineers at SHOT last month, and they know what they are building...a stamped/folded piece of metal seems simple, but it isn't.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

As a re-loader I dislike the chamber flutes left in fired cases from a roller lock G3 or PTR-91. They eventually flatten out but I still don't like them deforming the brass.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Harrier wrote: February 12th, 2019, 6:44 pm As a re-loader I dislike the chamber flutes left in fired cases from a roller lock G3 or PTR-91. They eventually flatten out but I still don't like them deforming the brass.
+1,... just one of a couple things that I didn't like.

I didn't like the bolt release!
I didn't like the the trigger!
I didn't like the the mag release ergonomics!
I didn't like the sights!
I didn't like the claw mount scope base!
I didn't like the the overall balance!

Win308 seats on the shoulder,... shoulders that don't fit the chamber perfectly, are not to my liking,... period!
Last edited by shooter444 on February 14th, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Pro2a wrote: February 12th, 2019, 12:43 pm
shooter444 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:00 am When I read about Savage's 17hmr and 22mag delayed roller lock semi-auto;s,... I was, and I am still tempted to buy, just because!

I dunno, I just see that it says in the intro to the article I pictured says 308 kits can be had for $600 with CETME parts.

I bought the Savage A17 when it came out, and haven't regretted it since. It's a roller lock, guess I already have that platform......
A friend turned my attention the the round long before that, and it was just about the time that articles were saying that Savage has figured out how to make a semi-auto hmr17 that doesn't jam.
After about 400 FLAT shooting rounds, I don't recall a single malfunction yet.
If you're on the fence, feel free to get the cobwebs out of mine sometime, and you'll be buying one.

Thanks,... but, I have read way too many complaints on CETME over the years, to take a chance on getting a good one.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

I love my PTR 91F and HK 91
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Harrier wrote: February 12th, 2019, 6:44 pm As a re-loader I dislike the chamber flutes left in fired cases from a roller lock G3 or PTR-91. They eventually flatten out but I still don't like them deforming the brass.
On better quality brass you simply get carbon streaking and not deformation.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

QuietM4 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Steve_In_29 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm If you feel like taking a chance...
$569.99
You lost me at "Century". I joke, but I've had a few bad experience with their AK's. I trust PSA to make a good product. I talked to a few of their engineers at SHOT last month, and they know what they are building...a stamped/folded piece of metal seems simple, but it isn't.
The current C308s are assembled by Century on PTR built barrelled receivers. PTR also handles the warranty work.

The issue comes in that CETMEs were never very plentiful to start with and the parts kits are in very limited supply (which doesn't bode well for finding spare parts later down the line either).

From all reports the first run of the C308s were not too bad when Century could hand pick (several people over on AKFiles gave good reports) but as they got closer to the bottom of their parts supply unservicable parts started getting installed. Atlantic Arms even stopped carrying the C308 due to quality issues.

PSA is having teething issues on breaking into the AK world but their Gen3 is looking good in RobSki's (and others) testing so far.