S&W Model 17 advice (choice of version, fair price)

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Limper
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

S&W Model 17 advice (choice of version, fair price)

Post by Limper »

I'm fairly knowledgeable about firearms in general but I do not know the finer details of revolvers. I may purchase a S&W Model 17 revolver in the near future. I know of a 17-3 and a 17-4 that will likely be available soon. Based on the pictures they both seem to be in the same good condition, and they are structurally similar with 6" barrels. Looking for advice on the pro/con between the dash 3/dash 4 and what a fair value is for them. I see prices ranging from $650 to well over $1200. I am not interested in collecting revolvers. If I buy one I intend to use it. I've never had a .22 revolver and these are nice shooters from what I've heard.

For the record, "fair value" would be a price that is a decent deal to me and the person responsible for selling the firearms of an estate. So....I don't mind getting a deal but I am not interested in gouging the heirs of the estate.

Thanks in advance.

Maddog1
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: S&W Model 17 advice (choice of version, fair price)

Post by Maddog1 »

fair market is what someone wants to pay. Different for each person with old guns. A old gun is worth want someone wants to pay for it.
Feal

Post by Feal »

If it’s just for plinking you might consider a 10rd. I don’t know if the blued version came with that but I know they have the stainless 617 version
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

While I absolutely love S&W revolvers and recognize that hardly anyone has ever surpassed them in quality and craftsmanship,...if, as you say, you intend for this revolver to be a shooter,...a pricey S&W might be a bit too much for your purposes. I have thoroughly enjoyed some Taurus 942 wheel guns. Plenty of fun and function and accuracy.

If we were talking a more serious caliber for more serious purposes, I'd definitely endorse sticking with the S&W.

But only you know what will satisfy you.
Limper

Post by Limper »

I appreciate the advice on alternatives that might save me money. I can go out and buy a cheaper .22 revolver, or one that may have more capacity. But the parameters of my question are about these two particular revolvers, the -3 and -4. I don't mind paying for a nicer firearm that I will use as a shooter. It will likely go to one of my heirs should I buy it. I know that "fair price" is a relative term. If anyone has opinions about the following I would appreciate the info:

The pro/con between a Model 17-3 and a Model 17-4.
The numerical value range (i.e. $650 to $900 for example) that is a decent deal for me that is also fair to the estate.

Based on what I am seeing online I think $700-$750 is appropriate. Or maybe I am just smoking crack.
I'm open to being told that, "Yes, you are smoking crack."

Thank you for your time and input.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

For actual shooting the engineering changes between the two are minor and should make no noticeable difference.
One possibly noticeable difference between the two was midway thru the 17-4 (about 1984) they eliminated the barrel pin and many consider that important.
17-3 =1967-1977
17-4 =1977-1988
So to me , other than the pined barrel thing it boils down to S&W collecting basics. Condition ,condition ,condition!
Do they have original grips ,are those target or service? Box, papers , tool kit?
Trying to value it without at least a picture is a fools errand.
But what I've seen $1000 for insanely nice absolutely new in factory box with tools.
Shot one time and no box or tools ,$750
Shooter, clean with average wear but still has factory stocks $600-650.
Holster wear and aftermarket grips but still a solid shooter,$400-500.
As you can see the price can drop off fast depending on use and condition.
Limper

Post by Limper »

needsmostuff wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 2:21 pm For actual shooting the engineering changes between the two are minor and should make no noticeable difference.
One possibly noticeable difference between the two was midway thru the 17-4 (about 1984) they eliminated the barrel pin and many consider that important.
17-3 =1967-1977
17-4 =1977-1988
So to me , other than the pined barrel thing it boils down to S&W collecting basics. Condition ,condition ,condition!
Do they have original grips ,are those target or service? Box, papers , tool kit?
Trying to value it without at least a picture is a fools errand.
But what I've seen $1000 for insanely nice absolutely new in factory box with tools.
Shot one time and no box or tools ,$750
Shooter, clean with average wear but still has factory stocks $600-650.
Holster wear and aftermarket grips but still a solid shooter,$400-500.
As you can see the price can drop off fast depending on use and condition.
needsmostuff,

Thank you very much for the details and your time spent answering my query. The 17-3 would likely fall closer to the "Shooter, clean with average wear but still has factory stocks $600-650" category and the 17-4 would fall closer to the "Shot one time and no box or tools ,$750" based on the pictures. The pictures are in a .PDF document so I did not upload them here. The Model 17s are local so i will be able to examine/fondle them in person.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Wonderful guns and a joy to own so enjoy the ride.
Those are kind of a FULL market value so I would certainly start the negotiations at least $100 under those prices.
As you know, if you pay full market on a gun you may be trapped with it for a long time. Better to have a little margin for selling in case you decide it is not a gun for you.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I love Smith & Wesson revolvers and if it were me, I'd get the older one.
Limper

Post by Limper »

DuneShoot wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 10:46 am I love Smith & Wesson revolvers and if it were me, I'd get the older one.
I'm leaning that way also, but will wait to get my grubby mitts on them before deciding. I have 3 revolvers with one (Model 625) being a Smith & Wesson. Bought it from a friend who had too many S&W 45 ACP revos. It's had some work done on it by Nelson Ford and is a sweet shooter. The Model 17 will be fun for me and great for the occasional novice shooter who stops by to visit every once in a while.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

@Limper I've used TrueGunValue.com and "sold" data from gun broker as a guide in the past. I find the following:

https://truegunvalue.com/pistol/Model-1 ... ical-value
https://truegunvalue.com/pistol/MODEL-1 ... ical-value

You can click on the "sold" tab and look at the guns that make up the chart data... That said - the sample size is still small enough that I'd look at the numbers with a cautious eye...

Additionally - if you buy guns to shoot them - then look for guns that are a shooter and stay below midpoint in terms of what you will pay. I'm with you - I don't buy guns to collect. If I own it - I want to shoot it. That said - with stuff that has a collector following, the pristine instances of it will be priced way above average, and if you buy one and then go put 1000 rounds through it you've just pissed away the premium... so... look for one with some scuffs and scratches, with noticeable wear - or maybe non-factory grips - anything that drives away the collectors... and you'll save a bunch...

Just my 2 cents...
Limper

Post by Limper »

@BigNate Thank you for the links and info. I am probably going to get the 17-3 for the reasons you mentioned (a little more wear). The special administrator of the estate has filed a petition with the court to sell some assets (guns) to pay costs, and I am waiting for that to be approved. Special administrators have more limited authority than personal representatives in probates.

Which reminds me: Make some sort of estate plan fellas. Or when you die unexpectedly, all your cool toys and assets will go the relative you absolutely f'ng hate instead of who you want them to go to. Because if you don't decide for yourself officially, Arizona will. I am driving to Tucson today to give one of my ex-stepkids one of my ARs for his birthday. I've maintained a relation ship with them when their mom and I split, and I really don't need 4 AR's with red dots. Might as well give him a bit of his inheritance early. I also bought a locking gun cabinet from Harbor Freight. It's not a safe but it will keep curious kids from handling it.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Limper wrote: May 25th, 2024, 5:40 am Which reminds me: Make some sort of estate plan fellas. Or when you die unexpectedly, all your cool toys and assets will go the relative you absolutely f'ng hate instead of who you want them to go to. Because if you don't decide for yourself officially, Arizona will. I am driving to Tucson today to give one of my ex-stepkids one of my ARs for his birthday. I've maintained a relation ship with them when their mom and I split, and I really don't need 4 AR's with red dots. Might as well give him a bit of his inheritance early. I also bought a locking gun cabinet from Harbor Freight. It's not a safe but it will keep curious kids from handling it.
I'll echo this... Trusts cost a bit of money - but are worth every penny to your heirs and the executors when you die... plus you have a better chance that what you want is what will happen...
watchthewind

Post by watchthewind »

If you would like a really nice Model 17 Cave Creek Guns has one for sale. Looks to be 99%
Scott
Limper

Post by Limper »

watchthewind wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:09 am If you would like a really nice Model 17 Cave Creek Guns has one for sale. Looks to be 99%
Scott
Thank you for the tip on the Model 17. I would go take a look at it if I hadn't already just purchased a very nice .22 revolver. As I mentioned in my original post, I was looking at a couple of particular Model 17s that were supposedly coming available that I was eyeballing because I wanted a higher end shooter. They are in good condition, but aren't pristine samples that would be more expensive. And I would be an idiot to take a pristine collectable and turn it into a shooter.

Apparently the -3 and -4 I was looking to buy aren't going to be available to purchase for awhile so I reevaluated my options and decided to buy a new stainless steel, 10-shot, 6" Colt King Cobra .22 target revolver. Some of the other folks like Suck My Glock advised that perhaps I should look at other options since I wanted a shooter instead of a collectable. I looked at some of the newer higher end revos such as the Model 63, 617, GP-100, and King Cobra. The King Cobra was the best of those in my opinion considering the size, weight, sights, and general ergonomics in my hand.

It is an expensive .22 revo, costing even more than than the 17-3 or 17-4 I was looking at would have cost. But I don't mind spending the $$ if the revo meets my requirements. It received glowing reviews and after tuning the zero and putting 40 rounds through it I would have to agree with the reviews. My holster, loading block, and speed loaders arrived today so I'm ready to have fun with it.

Thank you to everybody who replied to this thread.
Attachments
IMG_20240530_181926075.jpg
IMG_20240530_181736651.jpg