Opinions on 17 HMR Rifles

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
nrs
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Opinions on 17 HMR Rifles

Post by nrs »

Looking for a 17 HMR rifle to be used for target/varmint shooting. Not interested in spending a fortune on Anschutz, Coopers etc.. Looking at Marlin XT-17V, Savage 93R17TR, others?

Anyone have experience with these "tack drivers"

AZDESERTRAT

Re: Opinions on 17 HMR Rifles

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I have had 2 savage 93s in various configurations, and a ruger American. All have shot as good or better than me. I prefer the mags on the ruger but I have no complaints on the savage mags once you get used the little grove on the back. My current is a heavy barrel savage in a Boyd’s stock and it’s a rack driver.
I have also heard really good things about the CZs.
laabstract

Post by laabstract »

I had a Savage 93r and loved it was incredibly accurate inside 100 - 150 yards. What was really fun about 17 HMR is its terminal ballistics on soft targets like watermelons tiny entrance hole and huge exit holes. It has zero recoil and would be a great varmint round.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I’ve owned a 93 series Savage a while back, it was a tack driver. They have a large mode line, so it will be easy to spend a little money, or a lot based on your budget.

If you want to splurge a little, check out the CZ 457. It’s the brand new model, and it’s a tack driver also. Plus, you can easily swap the barrel and mag for different rimfire calibers if you want.
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

I have had both the Marlin and the Savage. I liked the Marlin much better, I should have kept it. The wife wanted a 17HMR to shoot rabbits with as we go out and do that fairly often and she was tired of sharing the .22WMR. Picked her up a wood stocked 93 and put a trigger in it. It shoots fairly well but the .22WMR is by far and away much harder on rabbits than the 17. My Marlin .22WMR will shoot just as well as any 17 I have ever seen as well. I love that little rifle.
nrs

Post by nrs »

Thank you for the inputs. I've heard the older 917 Marlins were better than the new XT models. Most "internet" people prefer the older models, but they are harder to find.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Find a CZ 455 in 17hmr.
I have three of their rimfire. Great rifles.
You can even buy a 455 in 22lr, and they sell barrels in .17 and .22mag for about $125.

I have a bull barrel varmint, an American sportier, and a full stock mannlicher.

Super accurate, and right now The 455’s are on sale most places. As the new 457 model is out.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I think the verdict is pretty much in, on the 17HMR, it is relatively a tack driver no matter which brand you buy. The caliber itself seems to be inherently accurate, on its own.

The only advice I have is, if you want a semi-auto,... the Savage A17HMR, with the delayed roller block action, is a GREAT WAY TO GO!!! Same if you want one in 22mag.

Good luck, and have fun!
lew

Post by lew »

I have to try hard not to shoot one-hole groups with a .17 Savage. Great rifle, and a fun little cartridge.