300 blackout rifle or pistol

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

300 blackout rifle or pistol

Post by thom »

Is it worth it to buy a 300 Blackout from Palmetto State Armory? Opinions are requested because I think it may just be a cheaper route for me to go.

Thanks

Thom

getsum

Re: 300 blackout rifle or pistol

Post by getsum »

Have one and like it alot. Not everything in life is wrapped around killing a large animal at 1,000yds. Sometimes big mammals are within 40yds...just say'n. Hence, I prefer the rifle...no sense in watching powder burn out the front of your barrel. SBR?...has it's place.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

I started with a Sig pistol, price and availability drove that decision. My intent was always to SBR it and run a can so short overall length was a requirement for me. I am a big fan of the 300 BLK and find it very accurate and effective when pushing the 208 A-Max subsonic. I say buy it depending on what your usage dictates (rifle vs. pistol).
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

thom wrote: June 5th, 2018, 10:50 am Is it worth it to buy a 300 Blackout from Palmetto State Armory? Opinions are requested because I think it may just be a cheaper route for me to go.

Thanks

Thom
If you have shot one and happy with the complete package, I would go for it.

If you don't like the trigger and would consider an upgrade, that would be enough reason to just build your own, imo.

Wanting to customize the grip, trigger, safety, and rails, etc., made me build one.

I cast 220 grain lynotype from Lee's 230grn mold for it and found that velocity just a couple hundred feet per second over subsonic to work best for me. I am not a fan of fast and light projectiles in this caliber.
Last edited by shooter444 on July 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

If you're on a tighter budget PSA builds are a decent route to go to get your feet wet in 300 BLK, but as others have stated if you intend to upgrade triggers, rails, etc., it's better to just build your own from scratch. Regarding pistol length or rifle length barrels, the 300 BLK was basically optimized for a 9 inch barrel. At 9 inches you have already burnt up all the powder and you don't gain much in velocity by going with any longer of a barrel (as was found by AAC/Remington Defense in the development process). So, a 9 inch barrel is the sweet spot with 300 BLK; however, more recently some manufacturers are finding that a 6 inch barrel gets very close to the same performance and are going with this length in many of their offerings, such as SIG.

I built my own 9" SBR on a Form 1, and after shooting a few others' pistols and full length 300 BLK rifles I feel I made the best decision. I put a lot of money into my build, especially if you include the suppressor and Form 1 & 4 tax stamps, but you can build them now on a pretty decent budget as it has become more popular and barrels can be found by every maker.

I did a quick rattle can repainting of mine over the weekend (was testing the camo pattern with the suppressor on, but now that I know it works well I will strip the suppressor and re-coat it with DuraHeat from DuraCoat, since they have shades that will match the khaki and dark brown earth I have on the SBR).
lew

Post by lew »

I like that camo job. Reminiscent of Wüstetarn (desert Flecktarn).
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

lew wrote: June 6th, 2018, 11:02 am I like that camo job. Reminiscent of Wüstetarn (desert Flecktarn).
Thanks! I was aiming for a medium between the old DCU pattern and a desert style multicam, I think it came out pretty well, but might add in some lighter sand colored specks here and there.
thom

Post by thom »

Beautiful rifle Viper. Thanks everybody for the inputs.

Thom
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

It is only worth it if you SBR and/or suppress it, ideally both. The slight gain in muzzle energy is not worth the extra cost and weight of the ammo, and reduced range compared with a 16" 556.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Yes I think it's worth it. I have a PSA 300 aac blackout upper. I'm happy with it.

I know a lot of people have had issues with PSA, but I've had good luck. Sign up for their daily deals email. They have some good prices.

Published on Apr 12, 2018
Palmetto State Armory founder and CEO Jamin McCallum tells the story of how it all began and where Palmetto State is going.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

They have this one on sale for $550 free shipping.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-7-5- ... 48660.html
AshAZ
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by AshAZ »

PSA is worth it especially if starting out in a new caliber or with a configuration you aren’t totally set on. I have 3 different PSA uppers in 5.56 and 9mm and have never had any problems. Some great holiday sales are available throughout the year.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I built a 300BO pistol kit from PSA as the base for my SBR. Just finished up both the pistol lower, and the SBR host lower this weekend. Pic of it next to my 16" 80%'r.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8-5 ... 49142.html

Just waiting on the stamp..

BD7E2F0D-0A06-4B84-8C15-44817DD4853F.jpeg
thom

Post by thom »

Thanks. I bought the pistol upper and ran it on my SBR lower. It works great. I just keep different mags labeled for the next 300.
Last edited by thom on December 26th, 2018, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

PSA makes decent stuff.