Sierra Vista Shooting Range

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
Black_water
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Sierra Vista Shooting Range

Post by Black_water »

Anyone been there? Any thoughts?

Harrier

Re: Sierra Vista Shooting Range

Post by Harrier »

I went there when I first moved to SV in 2004, was a RO for a while and also participated in the pistol competitions (x between IPSC and PPC) for a couple years (loads of fun). They have expanded and greatly improved the public range since I was there last.IIRC they go out to 500 yards and now have a skeet/trap range too. The SV range can be a good place to go during the week or when they open on weekends but gets crowded mid-morning. Join an organized shoot and there are semi-private ranges closed to the public.

I was lucky and found a private ranch much closer to home that I use now but it only goes out to 300 yds.Owner is real picky- so far I don't know of anyone that can shoot there except me.

I usually spend all day during my range sessions and I like to take my time or do things as I think of them
The things I dislike about all public ranges are:
- all the ignorant public handling loaded guns, that show up when I want to shoot. Sorry, thats just the way I see some of them.
- The wait between cold ranges so I can monkey with my chrono or check my targets when I'm ready. Hey, I'm there for me- not to wait on 15 others.
- The Nazi RO's who jump at every perceived infraction. (see #1)
Most all of the shooting nooks in the Natl Forest and BLM areas, state land & county gravel pit have been closed due to shot up trash and trees... and the continued efforts of local & Tucson tree-hugger groups (the local shooters didn't exert much effort other than leaving their trash)

If you don't have a good place to shoot the SV range is about your only choice. I hear there is a new indoor range being contemplated by Apocolypse Arms up by the Main Gate....
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

Yes, I was out there yesterday. :D

I have been an RO out there for many years.

The public range has overhead cover, asphalt on the ground and poured cement benches. Normal paper target range is 200 M and there is steel out to 600 M.
gumpy18
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by gumpy18 »

do either of you guys know a guy named greg that use to hang around there? shot at that range a few times, nice range.