Big bore AR

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
nvgdude
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Big bore AR

Post by nvgdude »

YNOTAZ wrote: December 30th, 2018, 5:07 pm
I think you have a typo.
Obviously.

YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Glad you didn't take my post wrong.

Looked like a Nube looking for info so I wanted to make a correction.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Just shopping bullet prices is keeping me from going 458. The 450BM and Beowolf are both a bit more than half of 458 (SGammo).

Leaning toward 450BM because of ammo choices. Any big reasons to go Beowolf instead?
AZDESERTRAT

Post by AZDESERTRAT »

I was struggling over which big bore cal to go with as well. Instead of beating my head against all the Internet info anymore I just bought the one with the cheapest factory ammo, 450 bushmaster. Got a complete upper from bear creek for 289 delivered. Mixed reviews on the web but with a lifetime warranty I figured what the hell, I’ll gamble on it. Took it to the range today with factory 450 Hornady Black 250grs and all I can say is wow! My
New favorite rifle. Slapped the upper on a Quentin Lower I had and had 1-1.5” groups at 100 yards no prob with the 1-4 vortex I put on in. Cycled 100% with the lancer 10rd (556) mag I had with me. I couldn’t be more impressed with the set up. It’s a hammer on the shoulder but well worth it. A blast to shoot!
Long story short, i think you’ll be impressed with any of the 3 choices, but 450 bush is much more affordable to shoot on factory ammo.
40mike-mike
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by 40mike-mike »

50 Beowulf is a badass round out to 135 yards with my 18” barrel. Anything further then it tends to be a lob round.
For just swapping out a AR15 lower, BCG to 7.62x39 & opening up the ejection port, it’s a handy caliber to have on hand.
The 50 Beowulf stops feral pigs, good size game, engine blocks & any numb nuts wanting to breech my front door.
GO BIG OR GO HOME! 8-)
Yotatrd4x4

Post by Yotatrd4x4 »

For ease of use the 458 is best. I like the 50 but components and bullets are hard to get at times. 450 bushmaster uses 451 caliber bullets so it's fine for a blinker or light game but I prefer the 458.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

That's why I went with 50AE. Ammo is cheaper. It's made by 2 or3 different companies and almost everywhere.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 6:53 am That's why I went with 50AE. Ammo is cheaper. It's made by 2 or3 different companies and almost everywhere.
Doesn't that make it a pistol caliber carbine and not a big bore AR? After all 9mm/10mm/45ACP uppers are bigger then 5.56 but no one calls such a "big bore AR".
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I believe big bore starts at 45 acp and goes up. The thinking is based on the raptor, 450, 458 socom, 45-50, and so on. The length of the barrel shouldn't matter. A big bore AR should be what ever the AR reciever is chambered in. I can easily cut a 16 inch barrel and chamber it in 50 AE.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

I wasn't referring to nor did I mention the length of the barrel in my post.

Merely that the 50AE is a PISTOL cartridge while the others are rifle cartridges. I have never heard of an AR chambered in .45ACP referred to as a "big bore AR". It is simply a pistol caliber carbine (PCC). Just like any other AR chambered in 9mm, 40SW, 10mm or any other pistol caliber. Which would include 50AE.

Now on the other hand AR chamberings for RIFLE rounds in the .45 caliber range are indeed big bore.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

So you are telling me a AR pistol chambered in 45 is not a big bore,but a rifle chambered in 45 is? So now I have to ask ,is there a certain amount of powder in a case that makes a certain caliber a big bore? WTF are u smoking. Tony at Tromix was making the 50AE in a 16 inch AR for a long time.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Ranger1 wrote: March 27th, 2019, 3:34 pm So you are telling me a AR pistol chambered in 45 is not a big bore,but a rifle chambered in 45 is? So now I have to ask ,is there a certain amount of powder in a case that makes a certain caliber a big bore? WTF are u smoking. Tony at Tromix was making the 50AE in a 16 inch AR for a long time.
Did the typhoon scramble your brains? Reading comprehension...it helps.

I said nothing about an AR pistol.

A .45ACP or ANY other pistol round in an AR is a pistol caliber carbine.

A .45 caliber RIFLE round (such as .450 Bush, 458 SOCOM, etc) in an AR is a big bore AR.

Can't be any clearer then that so if you still don't get it you are either an idiot or being deliberately obtuse. Either way it means there is nothing to be gained from further conversation.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Ok now I've been schooled. Ok so there is no such thing as a big bore pistol. Thank God we got that out of the way. So try this one. What do you call a 50 Beowulf, or a 458 socom pistol ? You call a big bore AR, a rifle designation only. Because of the length of the case and powder charge? That's the wrong way of thinking about it. Everything up to 40 s&w in my book are small bore. I would say 45 and up.are big bore. Hence the inside diameter outside of the grooves a large opening hence big bore. So when someone says big bore AR it is all about how big that hole is at the end of the barrel regardless of barrel length. Like small bore pistol 5.7mm to a big bore 1911in 50 GI. It doesn't matter what it comes out of. I don't know how I can be any clearer on it. Now if you want to get down to semantics I'm sure you can show us something. But its cut and dry where do u draw the line in a caliber from where small bore ends and big bore begins regardless of what it comes out of.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Steve_In_29 wrote: March 27th, 2019, 6:05 pm...you are either an idiot or being deliberately obtuse...
Well thanks for clearing up which you are and as I said, nothing to be gained from talking with you.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

Oh my.