To do it or not to do it...

If it doesn't fit the topic in any of the other forums, and is firearm-related, put it here!
guardyan_angyl
ArizonaShooting.org Member

To do it or not to do it...

Post by guardyan_angyl »

Man I have hit a critical point here. Wife and I are hitting the minimalistic kind of hard. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not firewalling any of my guns or gear or ammo here. I have slowly got rid of a few duplicates in the safe that see no love but that’s it. The hardest problem I am having right now is what to do with all the damn gun boxes. I did break down and get rid of a few of the lower end optics boxes. But I am sure having a hard time getting rid of any of the higher end optics boxes. And don’t get me started on the gun boxes. I might want to sell those guns some day (not likely but you never know). Sure am in a pickle here. Don’t really have a great place for storage of them. Looking to hear from your all experiences.

Rock Hardson

Re: To do it or not to do it...

Post by Rock Hardson »

Keep your gun boxes. Your firearms are worth more with them and makes them a more attractive purchase. I'm sure there are some that would disagree, but whatever.......
musicman10_1

Post by musicman10_1 »

Yup, I know the issue well. I have let go of all of my long gun boxes. I'm out of space to store anything - and to keep it in good condition. It does not make any sense for me to rent a storage unit for this stuff. I figure that a box is a nice thing to have when selling something but I remind myself that I've never walked away from a gun purchase because it did not have its box.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

There are storage cabinets in my garage. The gun boxes are on top of the storage cabinets.
Do you have any space in your garage between the storage cabinets or shelves and the ceiling?
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

My garage has a ceiling with a low slope roof above, I picked a spot between the rafters and cut a two foot square (make it clean) then took some baseboard that I had sitting around and picture framed the opening with about half an inch into the opening, you can re-use the cut out part or make another from 1/4 board to make the opening cover, I take all my boxes and stash them between the roof and ceiling, out of the way but still accessible if needed.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

LOL, the boxes are always a pia, to figure out, keep stash, cause ya never know when you're gonna sell, trade or if you will. My ole gal gets on my keyster for stashing boxes in closets, under beds, in the garage ect. seems i have no room at all. or maybe shes just being territorial

happy friday
Rj
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

I throw boxes away after 6 months. I don't care about the box when I buy used stuff.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I keep all the boxes for my expensive rifles and pistols and scopes. but am quickly run-in out of storage space.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Sounds kinda 50/50
If buying, I'm really concerned about the gun, not the box.
In the case of something more collectible, the box might help the value for resale.
Case in point, I'm helping a friend sell unfired Winchester rifles (Sioux & Little big horn), who doesn't internet so much. In my uneducated research, no box seems to be killing half of the value, based on past sale prices.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

If it is an old cardboard box or a box for a collectable then yes I keep it.
If it is one of the now made plastic clam shell boxes then not so much.
Flash

Post by Flash »

In 1970 or thereabouts, I bought a 3 screw Ruger Super Blackhawk. Came in a cheap white cardboard box, which is not what Ruger used in those days.

I threw it out the next day. Years later I find out the box is a valuable collector's item.

It's the story of my life.
randall_dubya

Post by randall_dubya »

As someone that's often passed up on "deals" due to the simple fact that the firearm didn't include the factory box, I get what you mean.

When it comes to plastic clamshells or nylon cases, such as what Sig or HK use, they're not getting tossed so long as I own the firearm. Cardboard boxes are hit or miss, rifle/shotgun boxes tend to get thrown out due to size, unless I know there's a good chance I'll sell in the future. When it comes to scopes or accessories, I'll typically keep the packaging around in a spare-parts box. Thankfully GG&G seems to use a lot of ziploc style bags, saves loads of space.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I save boxes on high value items like Colt and S&W revolvers and such but throw away the rest. A Colt ar-15 box? Who cares!
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Break down the boxes but keep them...

Don't keep them outside in open shed or pack rats will live in them.