NM Super Blawhawk - can't pull hammer back

Discuss work on firearms; whether that is making yours from the ground up, milling an 80%, putting together a kit, or fine tuning a trigger job.
WRMorrison
ArizonaShooting.org Member

NM Super Blawhawk - can't pull hammer back

Post by WRMorrison »

I picked this pistol up used from my LGS last year, and have run less than 20 rounds through it (.44). I worked up some loads for it a few days ago and took it to Rio Wednesday to test them out. First 3 rounds went downrange without a hitch. On the 4th (singe loading each round), I can't cock the hammer. With the loading gate open, the cylinder spins freely. If I spin the cylinder to between cartridge bores, I can cock the hammer just enough to index the next bore, but not fully.

I've read of problems with the cylinder base pin not seating fully, but I can push the base pin in as far as it will go (even holding it back by hand), and I still can't cock the hammer. I've read of a problem where the transfer bar hits the firing pin and won't let the hammer cock, but when I tilt the muzzle in the air, I still can't cock the hammer.

Any suggestions on what to check next or is a full tear-down required? I was planning on using it for a deer hunt in a week or so... I've got other guns I could use, but was looking forward to using this one. I could always send it to Ruger, but I know I won't have it back in time.

-WRM

smithers599

Re: NM Super Blawhawk - can't pull hammer back

Post by smithers599 »

No clue, but just like sometimes restarting your computer can fix whatever was the problem, sometimes taking your gun apart and putting it back together fixes it.

I used to own a SBH, long ago, and I recall that removing the cylinder and hammer was not difficult. I also recall a Security Six that had a similar problem not cocking, and it was because the hand was out of position.

Try it; it can't hurt, and might help.

Happy hunting!
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Send it to Ruger and use something else to hunt with. The risks of something going wrong are too high if the simple known fixes didn't work. Even if one of them is the problem, they both would require parts replacement or professional repair to absolve you of liability down the road...
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Agreed,... never know who did what to it,... especially with a used piece passed on to a retailer. Ruger is your best bet for a hassle free fix, imo!
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

Nothing to contribute but what was the load grain did you use on it and what was the norm beforehand?
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Last round fired was relatively weak; 240gr XTP over 23.0gr H110. The norm (if you can call it that; I'd only shot ~18 rounds of AE 240gr JHP's through it.

-WRM
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I looks like the SBH is petty simple. According to the manual the cleaning instructions should get you down to the point of seeing what is going wrong. Since that doesn't strip it any further than Ruger recommends I would do that first.

Start from the bottom, grips spring hammer, etc. If that doesn't work, then a trip to Ruger.

Here's the manual in case you didn't get one with the revolver.

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_man ... ckhawk.pdf
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I got it apart, and while one side of the trigger spring was disconnected (see the second pic), I didn't see anything that would cause the problem. But, I didn't have enough time to remove the hammer/trigger.

But, this thing (below) drops down when the loading gate is opened (allowing the cylinder to spin freely) but doesn't drop down when the hammer is cocked (cylinder removed). I'm pretty sure this is why I can't cock the hammer when the cylinder is in; hammer can't go back/down because the cylinder can't spin. If I get the time between now and Sunday, I'll take it apart again and fully disassemble it to see if I can find out how the mechanism works and what isn't doing its job.

-WRM

YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Take a look at page 24 of the manual, the caution on item 5.

Based on the picture of the trigger spring, I wonder if the last owner did not assemble it correctly after cleaning or a shade-tree Smith cleaned it up before reselling it.

I'm not familiar with Ruger wheel guns so just going by the pictures.
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I'm fairly certain that the base pin was fully inserted, but I'll double-check it again this evening if I get a chance. I've only got a handful of revolvers, so I'm not intimately familiar with how they operate.

-WRM
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Here's a wild shot in the dark!!!

I have read about folks suggesting to dislodge springs to lighten trigger pulls.
Don't know anything else about it,... never did it,... don't even know if the recommendation had to do with a Ruger, or not.

But, if this is a possibility,... maybe something went south on the previous owner, after doing such, and just swapped it off. I have heard of more stupid things!

Did you try re-installing that spring, and see if that changed anything?

Just a shot in the dark!
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I put the spring back where it belonged; no change.

-WRM
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,... thinking,... the only time I had something like this happen, was with a TOO LIGHT load that didn't force the case back hard enough, and the primer came out a bit, jamming up the entire action.

I am beginning to think this may be a MAJOR timing problem that needs a good single action smith,... or, RUGER.

Sorry! Not much help!
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

No worries; I appreciate all the help so far. I'll tinker with it for the next few weeks, and if I can't figure it out, I'll send it back to Ruger.

-WRM
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I am no gunsmith! I have sold guns in parts, that I couldn't get back together! But, I am into colt clone single actions, which , even I could fully break down to every part! I don't know about Ruger SA's, I'm sure they are more complicated, but it is still a Single Action. Take your time, and if you have to disassemble more than twice,... you may be surprised how quickly a complete understanding of SA's, can be acquired!