Backpack recommendation wanted

This is the place to discuss shooting-related gear: LBV's, Tac, BDU's, etc...
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Backpack recommendation wanted

Post by XJThrottle »

I'm looking for a decent pack to carry my normal daily stuff to and fro... "Tactical" style if you will.

My previous one was a Groupon special that I really liked the pocket/pouch layout(one for sunglasses,one for smaller stuff like a pistol, one that fit my laptop/tablet, and one for other BS), but the shoulder straps absolutely sucked. They had 3 different adjustment points, one at the top, and two at the bottom. 3 points to constantly F with to keep the bag in the right spot. While traveling through TX,OK,NM for work this week, one of the upper strap attachment clips broke sending the bag, and my P320 that was in the front pocket, to the floor...

What I had.
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-mil ... m548QNZF7J

Anyway, I'm looking for something with Molle web on it (mostly just the sides) and some velcro on the face of the pouches would be nice.

Not really wanting to spend more than $50.

What'cha got?

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Backpack recommendation wanted

Post by QuietM4 »

Honestly, if you aren't willing to spend more than $50, be prepared to but a new pack every year. There is a reason good gear costs money. Buy once, cry once.

5.11 has some great packs you should look at...they have packs starting at around $80, depending on how large you want it. There is also a 5.11 store off the 51 at Thomas. Plus, it's the holiday buying season, so there is a good chance you can find a sale.

If you want something a little less "HEY LOOK AT ME, I PROBABLY HAVE A GUN", check out the Arc'Teryx Blade 20. I carry it daily, through many airports, etc and it has been a great pack.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I'm not looking for something to last a lifetime, and would go beyond $50. Just a baseline.

I'm probably after something in the 30L size. Doesn't need to be bladder compatible, have other packs for that. I DO like the Molle. I like to hang a water bottle/pouch off the side, be able to clip stuff to it for easier access than a pocket(like my car keys). A few medium sized pockets vs. one larger one like an OG Jansport... I really liked that the busted one had a pocket just for my sunglass case.

Kinda liking the 5.11 Moab sling.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I see tons of bags like what you are describing at the gun shows...SAR show is just a few weeks away. But swing by that 5.11 store sometime, they have tons of bags in all sizes. I will carry one of those messenger bags sometimes, and it’s a great bag, too.

I’ve had lots of cheaper bags, and my major complaint is shitty buckles.
tdog90yj

Post by tdog90yj »

If you are looking for a buy it for life pack with molle take a look at goruck. Bag is super overbuilt with a lifetime warranty. Yes they are expensive but many discounts can be had.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I picked up one of the Origaudio Mission Packs and really like it. First off, it doesn't scream "tactical" or "military", so that's a plus. It's VERY comfortable, even when fully loaded. Breathes well and is very high quality. Lots of pockets, including one on top (inside top flap) that has an RFID-blocking pouch. Also has a built in cooler that can hold a six cans of soda... water bottle holders on the sides, bed-roll or pad on the bottom and has some molle/PALs type loops on the top. Inside the main pocket, you can have a laptop sleeve or for a bladder system.

They retail for $70, but you can find them easily for around $50. I bought a second one I liked it so much - one in gray and one in black.

https://origaudio.com/products/mission-pack
Super Trucker

Post by Super Trucker »

SOG - Ninja daypack
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

That Goruck stuff is expensive. $400 for a backpack? Uh, no.

The SOG is kinda what I'm looking for. Still has a glassed pocket, Molle, under $50, and not too Tacifoolish..
XNARC

Post by XNARC »

Look at woot... they have a few camelbaks at a good price

https://sport.woot.com/offers/skirmish- ... cnt_wp_4_5
Viper 1-26 INF

Post by Viper 1-26 INF »

I'm pretty rough on my gear and am a fan of the 5.11 Rush Series of Bags as well as the Camelbac military/tactical/hunting bags. I have both the 5.11 Rush24 and Rush MOAB 6, and have a Camelbac BFM 500 Assault Pack that has gone through a few deployments and is still going strong over a decade later of hard use. They'll be a little more pricey than some of the options out there, but they have lasted longer than any other bags for me so far (The BFM 500 is probably a little bigger than you want to go though).
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I ended up buying the 5.11 Rush 10, the sling one. I like that it is a sling, however they made it ambidextrous with two places to attach at the bottom. Making neither very useful. The internal pockets all open from the side, which at first I thought I would like, but it's really more of a PITA. It also feels that it is wedge shaped, narrow at the bottom. It has a "coms" pouch on the sling for a phone/headphones, but it ends up being behind your shoulder when worn. You would have to take it off to get to it. So much of the advertising of is seemed to be geared toward sliding around your body that they made it almost useless UNLESS you do that for all accesses.
The CWW pocket is about the only thing that keeps me carrying it.

I later bought the Rush 12 thinking that a more traditional pack would be more to my liking (I got them both with deals online, not retail..) I haven't had a chance to carry it much, but I also feel the pocket layout is meh.. 5.11 has a hard on for the mag sleeves inside (in both bags). Only really good for losing snack bars in it's depth. I don't need to carry 30rd mags everywhere I go.

Both bags have this funky bungee pouch thing in the main pocket that is more in the way than useful. With 10, it should've been left out altogether. On the 12 it should've been more of a sleeve to hold a laptop/tablet. If the 12 had the same CCW pouch I'd probably switch to it. If the 10 didn't have the sideways pocket nonsense it might be a keeper. The 10 also looks like it should hold WAY more than you can get in it. There is so much BS going on with the bag that the space is taken up with "the bag". The hydration pouch intrudes into the storage area, is separate though. So, you either get water or stuff. Not really full of both.
Celian41
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Celian41 »

Second on 5.11 bags. Check out their site for options - they have a good sale going right now. But if you’re willing to spend more, have you looked at the Triple Aught Design Fast Pack Lightspeed or EDC? I owned the Lightspeed for a while and loved it. I think it fits the bill for what you’re looking for.
DRTDIVR

Post by DRTDIVR »

If you want to blend in during your travels, ogio makes great bags at decent prices.