DIY suppressor questions?

Discuss any Title II or NFA items like machineguns, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's, DD's and AoW's.
tobylazur
ArizonaShooting.org Member

DIY suppressor questions?

Post by tobylazur »

Hi, I've been thinking about making a suppressor on a form 1, but i have a few questions.

1.) Are there any good online resources for designing suppressors?

2.) I know that there were some places were getting in trouble selling maglite tubes and freeze plugs because the ATF said those were 'suppressors' At what point does the ATF consider parts a suppressor?

3.) What else do i need to know?

omegaman

Re: DIY suppressor questions?

Post by omegaman »

file form 1 and wait... check out SD tactical I did mine with K baffles works just as good as a commercial can. I did a few back when the trust was easy route.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

form 1 is back online in ATF E forms. Must send fingerprint card in within 10 days.
tobylazur

Post by tobylazur »

I was wanting to machine my own parts. I was wondering, like on these solvent traps, machine work up to what point still just makes it a solvent trap?
F4D
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by F4D »

http://form1suppressor.boards.net/
Go here and read a lot. I have Form 1 can that I built from all the advice from "Rusty" on the board.
tobylazur

Post by tobylazur »

F4D wrote: October 11th, 2018, 2:23 pm http://form1suppressor.boards.net/
Go here and read a lot. I have Form 1 can that I built from all the advice from "Rusty" on the board.
Wow, thanks dude! Its going to take me a while to get through all that.
Paintwerkz

Post by Paintwerkz »

Devils advocate here, I’m a 07 FFL / SOT but also a realist too. I totally get the allure of building your own can, In fact it can be quite rewarding when you’re done! Flip side it can be frustrating as hell, more so if you even remotely suffer from OCD.

Building the can really can be a fairly simple thing looking at it from the outside, the tubes are simple as as the baffles. I’ve had a few friends who have made their own cans and are happy with the results......

But..... they had to pay someone to machine a part for them or have someone paint the part for them so it took away any of the savings per say. At the end of the day he didn’t save a lot by building his own can, and it wasn’t as great as he expected it to be. He doesn’t really regret it, but since then he’s just bought cans already made.

With the NFA industry sucking life and all the deals that are out there, and honestly likely to come out right around Black Friday or so I wouldn’t hesitate to consider looking at a can from a company already done. Look at what sico did a few months ago, buy a can over a certain price and get a can for free. I cleaned out my sico stock in days because of this promo!!! Hell of a deal for consumers.

Imo if you’re looking at the estimated cost to build a can of say $250 (minus painting and engraving) and can buy one already done for say $400 id do that cause the savings isn’t really THAT substantial. Now if you’re comparing $325 to build a full on titanium can V buying one at $800 bucks ya I’d go for building your own.

It all comes down to personal preference and mechanical ability.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Building for me has the allure of being able to say I did it, in addition to the savings. I have the access to a mill, and a lathe, to do the machine work. I can powder coat at virtually no cost too. I could buy one of the JMPF kits link'd above, spend half an hour at the lathe, and have a functional can for $200 (+stamp). I knew of the ability to DIY a can from a Maglight, but didn't know of JMPF until this thread.

The SiCo deal seems great. Buy a rifle can, get a pistol can for free. Buuuut, as it turned out, you won't see the pistol can for 2 years. I'm one of the ones that is going to be waiting. :doh:
Paintwerkz

Post by Paintwerkz »

Having access to the machinery is a huge part of the battle, if you got access to it rock on and get it done!!

I wouldn’t advise powdercoating, it does look nice but it’s insanely thick and doesn’t take heat very well. A few mags down the pipe and the powdercoating will start to melt off. You’ll want to have it coated with KG or Cerakote, I use KG and have little to no issues with it on cans even full auto. It’s about a half mil thick compared to what 10-12 mil or so on powdercoating ?
tobylazur

Post by tobylazur »

I have almost free access to the machines (and some material) right now. The two biggest factors for me are being able to say "i made this", and not paying $1000+ for a rifle can. Aside from buying some Ti, i think cerakote would be my only other expense (if i don't just leave it raw)
Paintwerkz

Post by Paintwerkz »

I coat cans often, I have an OEM contract for a suppressor line and currently am ramping up to spray about 1200-1800 cans a month by mid to late jan.

Wish I had access to machines like that, imagine the stuff I could do.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Paintwerkz wrote: October 12th, 2018, 10:27 am I coat cans often, I have an OEM contract for a suppressor line and currently am ramping up to spray about 1200-1800 cans a month by mid to late jan.

Hopefully this is SiCo. I'd like to use my Octane before 2020. ;)
Paintwerkz

Post by Paintwerkz »

XJThrottle wrote: October 12th, 2018, 10:47 am
Paintwerkz wrote: October 12th, 2018, 10:27 am I coat cans often, I have an OEM contract for a suppressor line and currently am ramping up to spray about 1200-1800 cans a month by mid to late jan.

Lol. Nope not sico, I can’t say who it’s for because of my NDA but it’s not sico.
Paintwerkz

Post by Paintwerkz »

XJThrottle wrote: October 12th, 2018, 10:47 am

I’m in the same boat as you on the octane, I ended up buying 3 sico cans for myself even though I pretty much get free cans from my oem company.... I still couldn’t pass up on the sico deal, I’m a can whore.