Replaceing Gypsum board

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Re: Replaceing Gypsum board

Post by Gatsby »

We worked with this a lot, using it in (at least) a couple hundred bathrooms. We did not use any power tools to cut it. We had carbide scoring tools, but I believe they also sell carbide blades for utility knives that could work. If you don't need to be super precise, I would score and snap like you would drywall. It breaks a lot harder, and I'm making it sound simpler than it is, but I wouldn't put all that silica dust in the air if I could avoid it. We once scored and snapped with regular utility knife blades out of desperation (just made several passes). With sheetrock you can give it a snap to break it and then cut the paper on the other side, but that won't work for backer board. We used whatever was handy to lift both ends of the score a couple/few inches off the ground and snapped from both ends simultaneously.

It worked for us and just wanted to share my experience. Maybe RJ has had different luck or used different tactics, but this was how we did it.

338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Replaceing Gypsum board

Post by 338lapua »

Racewin wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 9:59 pm What about insulating it on the outside? Maybe build something around it out of a couple layers of sheetrock? Or perhaps cover it in ceramic blanket?
And build a door that closes around the safe door will buy you time as well. You can take it apart quickly if you decide to move.