Why are all safes coming with the electronic keypads?

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Why are all safes coming with the electronic keypads?

Post by 338lapua »

Crippledtrigger wrote: May 25th, 2020, 9:36 pm Not that I'm a tin foil black helo conspiracy theorist, I heard that chi com locks can all be disabled at once incase of invasion.

While I wouldn't put it past the ccp to require Chinese companies to include such a fail safe as God knows all the other chicom s*** that collects intelligence or can be hacked, it's a stupid idea.

Just thought I'd add a chuckle to the conversation.
Not just that but some police agencies have devices to jam electronic safes if they are doing a entry. As most people are not like me with a gun in every room and two spare mags and multiple rifles in my bedroom they would be screwed if they had to open their electronic safes during a entry. If police can jam your cellphones during a entry they can lock your safe remotely.

There was a safe sale at a big outdoor store years ago and the company rep told me I was full of s*** and no such device existed. A friend went with me and he had such a device with him and I proceeded to berate the rep as all his digital safes were locked down. Then the safes opened again and then he was locked out again. Shook up about 50 people there looking at safes and I was asked to leave. There are also devices that can open ANY digital safe as well after removing the wires from the lock and use the proper adapter for the lock and you are in. Thieves also have had boxes built to open or jam a electronic lock. This is WHY they push them so much. S&G combination locks are damn near the same price as the digital key pad locks.

Eleroo

Post by Eleroo »

At least one major safe manufacturer offers a dual lock system with a mechanical lock and an electrical lock. It gives you the speed of the electrical lock, but has a redundant mechanical lock incase it fails. Kind of pricy, but that is the only way I would have an electronic lock.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Eleroo wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:29 pm At least one major safe manufacturer offers a dual lock system with a mechanical lock and an electrical lock. It gives you the speed of the electrical lock, but has a redundant mechanical lock incase it fails. Kind of pricy, but that is the only way I would have an electronic lock.
I wouldn't buy into ANY kind of electronic lock on a safe or on a building.
Eleroo

Post by Eleroo »

Yeah, a mechanical lock is the best option. Just saying if one MUST have an electronic, the dual redundant system is the only way as far as I am concerned.
azman
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by azman »

I had a Liberty that had the S&G combo dial, which could be "day locked" with key locking the dial. Awsome set-up that seemed pretty reliable.
Unfortunately I sold it when we moved across state, not wanting to add moving it into the mix.
Now I have another Liberty with the S&G electronic key pad, and it took a 4th try to get in this morning... it's been acting up like that for a while, but never 4 tries. I'm getting concerned it will leave me locked out at some point.It is over a decade old though.
I also have a high end "Stack On" that has a electronic pad, but also back-up keyed.... it is very smooth - never an issue.
I was told by a salesman once that a "quality" electronic keypad doesn't need a back-up key... that the reliability doesn't warrant it. I say BS and will never buy another electronic without a back-up key.
TomI

Post by TomI »

I also had a liberty with the electronic lock and I also have had issues with multiple attempts to open it, and a couple weeks ago I went to buy a new safe. I went to the liberty dealer in chandler/gilbert just off the 202. I ended up with the fatboy model and I was sure I was going to get the mechanical lock. After talking with the salesman, John I believe was his name. He agreed that the older libertys had some issues with the keypads, but they just don't have the issues with the newer ones. I went with the electronic one again this time. If I don't like it or have any issues I am going to have them switch it to the mechanical.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

https://www.amazon.com/Sargent-Greenlea ... 215&sr=8-1

You can replace the electronic pad with a tumbler.
The kit is available on Amazon for $80 and is easy to install.

Youtube has several videos detailing the install, takes 25 minutes.
High Standard

Post by High Standard »

I had an issue with my electronic keypad where some new batteries were actually bad and failed within 6 weeks of being installed. It was nice to have the key backup so all I had to do was to pull off the keypad and use the key and I was able to access my safe.
DOUBLE07GT

Post by DOUBLE07GT »

All good info to know. I’m going to be looking for a new or used safe soon. I prefer the mechanical also, but punching a couple buttons wouldn’t be bad either.
samnev

Post by samnev »

TomI wrote: July 26th, 2020, 12:33 am I also had a liberty with the electronic lock and I also have had issues with multiple attempts to open it, and a couple weeks ago I went to buy a new safe. I went to the liberty dealer in chandler/gilbert just off the 202. I ended up with the fatboy model and I was sure I was going to get the mechanical lock. After talking with the salesman, John I believe was his name. He agreed that the older libertys had some issues with the keypads, but they just don't have the issues with the newer ones. I went with the electronic one again this time. If I don't like it or have any issues I am going to have them switch it to the mechanical.
I also went to the same store and asked John about the reliability of their S&G electronic locks and he said the same thing to me. I purchased the 10 year warranty on the locks just for peace of mind. been trouble free months18 months. The one thing I did notice is that you have to make sure you have solid contact with the key pad and the blue light blinks when you push the key pad. I've been sloppy a few times pushing the key pad and new the light wouldn't blink. But that's my fault not the locks.
TomI

Post by TomI »

This newer electronic lock is so much better than my older liberty safe with the electronic lock. I am happy I went with it. It feels "solid" and it hasn't had one hiccup like the older one.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

I switched my old dial on my safe when I had a locksmith come over for a lube/checkup (which you should do occasionally). My eyesight is not getting any better with age. For just over the price of the full dial service I had him switch out for an electronic. He showed me that it fit the exact same holes and is just as secure (no key that can be picked). No problem with the battery. It will last for several years, although I will change it on the annual replacements of my red dot sights. Before it took me several tries. Now it's open in 20 seconds.
littleleft

Post by littleleft »

because they are getting cheaply made. the dials are crapping out. Mine skipped teeth. 1k safe had to to be refitted.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

had one of the locks fail, but it wasn't the key pad, it was the actual locking mechanism, had nothing to do with keypad, mechanically the deadbolt type lock, wore out, and it did open, but one had to try repeatedly thru the key pad till it finally unlatched.
and learned a valuable lesson on the electronic key pads, don't use cheap batteries, use the best you can find, and don't use re chargeble units, i changed all out to top line batteries just in case. In a dozen years first time i've had an issue on a safe not opening, well there is that one time i forgot a combo, lol, but the ole gal had it stashed somewhere and we got in.
happymonday
Rj
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

My newest safe is over 30 years old.
My oldest safe is 78 years old. ( No , I did not buy this one new. )
They all have dial locks and I have never had a problem with any of them.
I take the back of the doors off about once every 10 years or so and clean them up.
Apparently as everyone must know , things were made a little better in the old days.
I don't see getting a new safe anytime in the future , but if I did it would have a dial lock.