electric keypad swap

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
laserguy
ArizonaShooting.org Member

electric keypad swap

Post by laserguy »

My gun safe has the electric keypad to unlock without a mechanical dial as a back up, does anyone know if it can be swapped for the simple mechanical dial? I have had the battery die twice since I have owned it, once required a trip to the store for another battery (not good in a SHTF situation)

Matwell

Re: electric keypad swap

Post by Matwell »

Look at the lock inside the door - if it's a S & G Group 2 you can replace it with a mechanical (dial) combination (still S&G Groups 2). The locking mechanism is the same size (at least it was on mine). Might want to make sure the hole in the door (that the wire currently goes thru from the keyboard) is big enough for the shaft on the dial. Take some pictures of the inside of the lock and go talk to a safe locksmith (I've worked with Harmon's Safe & Lock in Mesa). They'll steer you in the right direction.

My safe originally had a mechanical dial, then I changed it to a digital, then back to mechanical for the same reason as your concern.
good luck
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

which digital lock do you have? Is it just a regular or a biometric? I might be interested in buying the keypad from you. I have a pretty old model (thinking S&G 6120) and have been debating getting a newer one.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Field and Stream gives me tons of warning prior to the battery actually dying.
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

Abbey wrote: April 14th, 2020, 4:11 pm which digital lock do you have? Is it just a regular or a biometric? I might be interested in buying the keypad from you. I have a pretty old model (thinking S&G 6120) and have been debating getting a newer one.
I have the standard keypad without biometrics
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

Ummmmm, or you could put a stickey note on the door to change the battery once a year.
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

needsmostuff wrote: April 15th, 2020, 7:05 am Ummmmm, or you could put a stickey note on the door to change the battery once a year.
This.

I have one keypad that gives you no warning sign unless you count the beep tone getting steadily quieter. Luckily I noticed. Actually my first thought was wow my wife IS right, my hearing really is going to s***. Then I decided to blame the machine.
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

Buy Lithium batteries.. totally worth it.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

laserguy wrote: April 15th, 2020, 4:18 am
Abbey wrote: April 14th, 2020, 4:11 pm which digital lock do you have? Is it just a regular or a biometric? I might be interested in buying the keypad from you. I have a pretty old model (thinking S&G 6120) and have been debating getting a newer one.
I have the standard keypad without biometrics
Do you know the model number or the approximate age? I'm just wondering if it's the same electronics as mine or the newer, supposedly better shielded version.