Custom safe interiors - lighting, shelves, etc.

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
WRMorrison
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Custom safe interiors - lighting, shelves, etc.

Post by WRMorrison »

How many here have "remodeled" (so to speak) the interior of their safes? I bought a new unit at the end of last year and the interior shelving leaves a lot to be desired. It serves its purpose, but the top shelf easily bowed from the weight I was putting on it; the cheap MDF (or whatever it is) just isn't up to the task.

I've already purchased LED lighting (flexible strips with motion sensor and battery instead of AC power), but won't install it until I've got my shelving figured out. I'm thinking of laying it out like so:

1: standard long guns
2: SBR's and shorter long guns
3: Misc. (docs, jewelry, optics, etc.)
4: Magazines, accessories, etc with pistol racks hanging from bottom

I've bought these vertical rifle rods but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Has anyone here used them and what's your impression of them? For those unfamiliar, the flat part has velcro and sticks to the "ceiling" or shelf above it; keeps the rifle/shotgun standing up without the use of traditional safe "notches" cut into wood. Supposedly, it'll allow you to fit more guns in the same safe and allow you to pull a gun from the back without removing too many guns in front of the one you want.

I also bought a few of these pistol rods. They're nylon-coated steel and hang from a shelf. I really like them (they definitely save space), but I wish they offered more sizes...specifically, larger diameter rod with extended lengths for heavier revolvers with longer barrels. The only drawback I've had with them is I've had a pistol come off and drop to the floor when I brushed something against it (probably pulling something out), and pulled it right off the rod :cry:

I also want to do something custom with the door. It offers a lot of storage real estate, but I'm not completely happy with the generic pistol "holsters" that come attached to it. I'm thinking of removing what's on there, and attaching a piece of wood/metal with MOLLE loops or something. That'll let me put whatever I want on there within reason. I also thought about storing a ready-to-roll SBR on there with my plate carrier setup; who knows.

Just to give you a little incentive, here's a few pics I've found online of custom interiors:

There's even companies out there that now sell vinyl wraps for safes. I saw one guy (wish I could find the pic) that had the safe in his garage. He had it wrapped so that it looked like standard garage shelving with garage-type stuff on the shelves. That way, with his garage door open, passers by wouldn't see the huge, black safe staring at them from the sidewalk/road.

-WRM
Last edited by WRMorrison on June 25th, 2018, 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

WRMorrison

Re: Custom safe interiors - lighting, shelves, etc.

Post by WRMorrison »

For HD pistol rods, I'll likely bend up some larger diameter steel rod myself and plasti-dip it.

-WRM
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

My problem is every optic takes up the room of 2 rifles unless you extend stocks in incremental stops. Night vision or thermal optics forget it, 3 rifles easy. Other attachment work similarly, vertical grips, monopods, bipods, etc. Safe rated for 64 long guns but only 29 fit, Hmmmmmmm

The pistol rods that hang on the shelf, I have 10 of those, GREAT idea and they work great once you get used to accidently hitting a pistol, see it swing, and learn it isn't going to fall.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I needed some stronger shelves too. I cut them to size from 3/4" plywood and rounded (routered) the front (exposed) edges. I plan to wrap them in some thin carpet using 3M adhesive spray. They hold a lot more weight than the particle/mdf boards.

If you're running out of space try some gun socks to help cut down on dings and scratches if you have to pack them in tight.
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

Love the rifle rods. On my safes used LED motion light (I got a power outlet+USB in mine). In the tall safe I have 25 long guns most with optics in the main area, 8 shotguns, 6 bullpups, 8 pistol/SBR's, bunch of pistols, a few in progress projects , some loaded to go mags and router/dvr drive w/cloud backup for security. I could cram a few more long guns in but I like how easy I can access them now. I do not recall how many mine was stated to hold. Its 40w x 24d x 72h.

Just finiahed the remodel on it 6 months ago. For the door I bought 2 molle panels from amazon for about $30 each and stitched them together to fit the space. Attached it to drywall door panel with 30 tee nuts. I can reorg the door anytime. The shelf/dividers inside mine were just covered drywall and started to get a bow. So I rebuilt those to hold more weight plus to be sure pistol hangers fit snug and stable. I spent some coin to get all the special pouches and straps. And it took me a bit to get everything the way I want.
Attachments
molledoor.jpg
interior.jpg
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Nice. I like the door panels. Can you link to the one you purchased?
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I went with pistol racks instead of the hangers. It looks like there would be too much dead space between the pistols and back of the safe. You can stack the pistol racks at least two deep.

Like these

jrleen

Post by jrleen »

They are 24x32 $31.80 now. I first looked at companies that sell custom fit....crazy prices.

AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Rapdom Tactical M.O.L.L.E. Panel?
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

AZ1 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 5:34 pm It looks like there would be too much dead space between the pistols and back of the safe.
There is dead space, but since they hang below the shelf, it's not taking up shelf space. If you really wanted to pack handguns in there, I'd use the hangers below the shelf and the racks on top.

Also, I love the way yours is set up jrleen; especially the door.

-WRM
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

Since I'm on the subject, what's everyone doing with their mags/ammo? I keep some in the safe, but couldn't possibly keep all of it in there...especially the ammo. At the moment, I keep all (or at least most) mags in the safe, but ammo is stored in cans. I've been thinking seriously about picking up a few jobox's for ammo storage, but then I guess I'd have to unload it each time I move it around; or rent a forklift or something I guess...

-WRM
Flash

Post by Flash »

AZ1 wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 5:34 pm I went with pistol racks instead of the hangers. It looks like there would be too much dead space between the pistols and back of the safe. You can stack the pistol racks at least two deep.

Like these

I use these along with a door organizer that came with my Ft. Knox safe. I added LED lighting up both sides and across the top that is activated by a motion detector. So the lights turn on when I open the safe door and as long as I'm moving a little they stay on. If I move away from the door or go motionless, they shut off after 15 seconds. A slight twitch of a hand, arm, head, anything will instantly turn them on again.

I don't store any ammo in my safe as I don't even own a safe that's big enough for half of my ammo and I've got a 57 gun safe. I do store magazines in there, but I normally only have 10 magazines for each separate platform.
Lucafu1

Post by Lucafu1 »

Those rifle rods work great.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Do you really gain much space with the rifle rods? 1-3 more rifles?
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

AZ1 wrote: June 24th, 2018, 10:01 pm Do you really gain much space with the rifle rods? 1-3 more rifles?
Like I mentioned, I haven't used mine yet. But, I guess it would depend on which rifles you're putting in there and how big of a safe you have. With the traditional "notch" spacers, I usually can't fit a rifle in every notch, and every other notch might leave a good amount of space between them. Depending on the variables listed earlier, I would think you could fit anywhere between 3-10 more rifles in most safes.

I'm also planning on either purchasing or making one of these to hold rifles temporarily (instead of leaning them against things and waiting for them to fall) when getting something in the back:

https://jet.com/product/Lockdown-Magnet ... 0qEALw_wcB

-WRM