Custom safe interiors - lighting, shelves, etc.

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Custom safe interiors - lighting, shelves, etc.

Post by brandyspaw »

One thing I'm doing is cutting the longer Gun Socks in two (and having the wife sew them up) in order to store separated AR lowers and uppers on a shelf in the safe. I always keep a couple of AR's ready to go but stacking the other uppers/lowers like cordwood on a shelf gained some safe space.

BTW-this is a good topic. I recently moved and had to downsize to a smaller home. One of the things was getting down to just one safe. I've been selling off guns in anticipation of the move for a while but its still hard to fit a square peg in a round hole. Some of these ideas will help.

AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

brandyspaw wrote: June 25th, 2018, 8:12 am One thing I'm doing is cutting the longer Gun Socks in two (and having the wife sew them up) in order to store separated AR lowers and uppers on a shelf in the safe. I always keep a couple of AR's ready to go but stacking the other uppers/lowers like cordwood on a shelf gained some safe space.
I've done the same thing for uppers, lowers, and SBRs. I've even cut the rifle socks into 3 pieces for pistols. That way I can put the pistols in a backpack so they take up minimum space on a range trip.
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

I use the space behind my pistol hangers for shorter firearms, barrels and extra uppers. Extra mags and smaller boxed ammo in multiple stackon units. Bulk ammo in cans.
Attachments
storeammo.jpg
Magsboxammo.jpg
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I like the can labeling for caliber; I really need to do something like that. I've seen the magnets, and like that idea too. I've tried making labels with my Brother label maker before but have slacked off in recent years. Maybe I just like opening a half-dozen cans before I find the right one...lol.

-WRM
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

I know what you mean, my eyes are crap these days. So I use the label tape for specifics/notes on metal cans as I re-stock or transfer from 40mm cans. Just got one of those MTM ammo crates for heading out to the range.

deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Some great ideas posted here! Thanks
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Great topic! I need to change up my storage a bit too and was looking for something to mount to the door. Also I need some better lighting, like the idea of the battery powered led strips!
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

For those that don't have a hole for outlet power:

I installed one of these battery powered LED light strips

And wired in a magnetic switch so that the lights automatically come on/shut off with the door.

I also installed a couple of these magnetic knife holders on the back wall of the safe for mags. They will hold a good 10-20 mags depending on how you store them and what kind. I haven't tried full mags on them though. I just keep empties on them and store them on the short edge so I can fit more.

The pistol hangers are nice like mentioned, and inexpensive.

For those of you that don't have big, expensive safes be aware that hanging stuff on the door may not be all that useful. Mine came with a door organizer but if I put anything in it that is over 1.5" or so and crosses anywhere shelving sits, the door won't shut because it hits the shelving.

I just keep ammo organized in cans and labeled with my label maker. Got tired of trying to find what I was looking for. Much easier to find what I need when heading to the range now.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

Taking the bolts out of bolt action rifles will give a bit more room. Label the bolts with a small tag of some kind.