Electronic safes

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
Pro2a
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Electronic safes

Post by Pro2a »

I didn't think this would fit anywhere else, but I have a small safe question for those of you with experience. I'm just looking for one of those small quick access safes that can fit maybe one or two pistols. This is something that would be in the garage.
Are the issues of dying batteries overblown? I guess being in the garage, it would really take a heat beating, so maybe that wouldn't be an option. Has anybody found a quick access, non-electronic option?
Thanks for any suggestions

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electronic safes

Post by admin »

I created a new forum and moved this.

As for your question, I have one of the mini safes with the door that flips open when you press your combination (keypad in the shape of a hand and buttons are tactile so you can do it in the dark). I've had it for a decade or so and only had to change the batteries 3 times. And each of those times, it was because I could tell they were getting old - not because it failed on me. I open it monthly, just to make sure it still works and the batteries don't sound weak. That said, it rarely gets opened (usually once a month is about it).
Cavtrooper
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Cavtrooper »

I got a small biometric SentrySafe that I have had no issues with since my son has got to walking age (~2 years). My specific model will fit two G19's if I pack it right but it typically holds my P938 in holster with my keys, wallet and EDC knife. Quick open with biometric and a simple keypad with up to two users. Haven't changed the batteries yet.
https://www.sentrysafe.com/?gclid=CjwKC ... 0MQAvD_BwE

Oh, and I use it EVERYDAY, most times multiple times a day. It is extremely responsive with the touch of my finger and fast acting pistons.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

admin wrote: June 13th, 2018, 6:49 pm I created a new forum and moved this.

As for your question, I have one of the mini safes with the door that flips open when you press your combination (keypad in the shape of a hand and buttons are tactile so you can do it in the dark). I've had it for a decade or so and only had to change the batteries 3 times. And each of those times, it was because I could tell they were getting old - not because it failed on me. I open it monthly, just to make sure it still works and the batteries don't sound weak. That said, it rarely gets opened (usually once a month is about it).
My mind is much more at ease now from the battery life aspect. However since I intend to specifically keep this in the often hot garage, I'm going to get one with a simplex lock. They look to be more expensive, but are rated favorably by some in the industry.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I have a couple of the SentrySafe (non biometric, QAP1E Quick Access Digital Pistol Safe). One gets accessed at least twice a day. It's been 2-3 years and haven't changed the battery yet. It also takes a key, which you could hide close by.

I'm not sure how long the battery would last in the heat of the garage.

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

My electronic locking safe goes years without battery replacement but it isn't in the garage.
The one in the garage is hidden where it would take ingenuity to find

If you have one with a dial type lock, you could do what is called 'quick-Lock" - that is where you have the combo all dial in except for the last number (which is a few # away from where you set the dial (always set it the same place)) then all you have to do is turn to the last # and open. This doesn't work well in the dark.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

You can be locked out of a electronic safe, same device that can lock you out can unlock it.
Flash

Post by Flash »

338lapua wrote: July 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm You can be locked out of a electronic safe, same device that can lock you out can unlock it.
This happened with the most recent safe I purchased. Went down to the showroom, the owner couldn't open a brand new safe with electronic lock. Tried new batteries, new head, nothing worked. This wasn't one I was purchasing, but the identical safe with an electronic lock.

I won't use electronic, only mechanical and that's what I have.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

338lapua wrote: July 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm You can be locked out of a electronic safe, same device that can lock you out can unlock it.
Can you elaborate a little? Are you saying there is a little handheld black box that can be used to unlock my safe at will? or to secure it from being opened with the combination?

I don't doubt it is possible but if that is the case then no electronic lock is safe...
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Harrier wrote: July 26th, 2018, 6:04 am
Can you elaborate a little? Are you saying there is a little handheld black box that can be used to unlock my safe at will? or to secure it from being opened with the combination?

I don't doubt it is possible but if that is the case then no electronic lock is safe...
There is a device made specifically for some guys that will lock you out of a electronic safe if they are kicking your door in at the time, after they are done it can unlock the safe. I didn't believe it until I saw it in action. I confronted a representative of a safe company about this at a event they were putting on and he said it does not exist. The smug prick even asked a person working at the store if they sold tinfoil so he could make me a hat, everyone thought it was funny. I told him why don't you open that safe there for me if you can and he again laughed at me. A friend who has one and was at the event but nowhere near me proceeded to lock him out of every safe in the store. His laughing at me was redirected towards him. I badgered him for quite a while over it. I was banned from ever entering that store again, it was during a safe sale and people walked out. They probably lost a quarter million in sales that day. He thought when he kicked me out things would work right, they didn't.

Why do you think almost every safe you see at local retailers has an electronic lock? "They" want people to buy these safes so "they" can lock you out for their safety. "In a disaster a code can be transmitted to disable electronic safes so people aren't out shooting looters or "they" when "they" are being abusive. There is even a device that will open smart locks and electronic/magnetic locks. If you want a safe with a combo most places it is now a special order and they charge extra.

Now lets ask a question. Do you really think that if "they" have this technology that bad guys do not also have access to the same technology? You think there are not bad guys who buy things and figure out a way to get into them? How about foreign governments having this tech? How about if America is ever invaded and the kill code to electronics is given through a satellite and locks, safes, alarms communications and so on are all killed. This problem goes deep and goes all the way back to the Clintons forcing manufacturing off shore so the chinks could build the processors in all these devices as well as steal the codes they operate under.

What better method of gun control than getting every idiot gun owner to buy a electronic safe to store their guns in not knowing they can be locked out at any time. Well now you know. Combo locks only and check to make sure there are no electronic devices attached to your mechanical lock by removing the cover and looking.

Call me a kook or a liar I don't care but it is out there.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I don't dispute what you say, in fact it makes a lot of sense that it would be possible in this day of wireless and IoT.

Knowing how electronics features progress however , I now would like to determine if there is generational or version limitation as in the older 1st gen eLocks didn't have that or the locking device had to be within 3 feet etc, then gen 2 got better and now gen 3 or 4 can be controlled just like a UAV from miles away...
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Harrier wrote: July 26th, 2018, 12:25 pm I don't dispute what you say, in fact it makes a lot of sense that it would be possible in this day of wireless and IoT.

Knowing how electronics features progress however , I now would like to determine if there is generational or version limitation as in the older 1st gen eLocks didn't have that or the locking device had to be within 3 feet etc, then gen 2 got better and now gen 3 or 4 can be controlled just like a UAV from miles away...
It was in the parking lot within 300 feet of the door aimed at the building. It was in 2011. It did not screw with any other electronics in the store. Even safes in the warehouse which had the factory set code would not open. It was fun to watch. I know he was screwed with at a couple more events by my friend.

Do not trust any safe lock or any other electronic lock with any kind of electrical circuits in them. A lot of RFID stuff around that is easily turned on or off.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I have been thinking of a small handgun safe and was looking at the biometric type for speed and it would be easier for the wife. I am not sure about the reliability of them. Reviews have run the full spectrum.
I have been leaning towards the type that have the pushbutton type.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Wow, 2011 is a few years back, IIRC the Army stopped using Lenovo laptops about that era due to the discovery the C's had some 'call home' circuitry built into the motherboard.
I got my eLock in 2004, that's why I'm wondering if that capability goes back that far.
I'm a little relieved I have the ol manual dial type for backup...
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Desert Rat wrote: July 27th, 2018, 10:50 pm I have been thinking of a small handgun safe and was looking at the biometric type for speed and it would be easier for the wife. I am not sure about the reliability of them. Reviews have run the full spectrum.
I have been leaning towards the type that have the pushbutton type.
Push botton ones are mechanical and safe.