Long Gun Safe?

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Long Gun Safe?

Post by Tim McBride »

Flash wrote: June 14th, 2018, 6:24 am
Pro2a wrote: June 13th, 2018, 5:53 pm Does anybody actually manufacture those for sale?, The internet doesn't have much
That appears to be homemade judging from the empty area in the bottom where the motor and what not was originally.

Buy one that's not working, gut it and do it yourself.
I actually got a pepsi machine a few years ago to try this.
It's a lot of work just stripping one of these down, and the are heavy when they have all the guts in.

Dogslayer
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Dogslayer »

One way to dissuade someone from using an angle grinder to breach a safe, especially if you are a reloader is put a pound of gunpowder in a plastic bag on top of your safe. Put a note on the safe saying "Warning, safe contains gunpowder in plastic bags". They will look at the cans of powder by your bench and have a decision to make...
JMHO...
Dogslayer
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

There used to be a company in Texas that did these on a commercial scale, but their website is down, so I think they're gone. Texas Restor All was the name.

However, making your own could be a fun project. Here's a candidate on Craigslist right now.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/ ... 13677.html

Realize that all you will be doing is making a locking cabinet,...a camoflaged, non-obvious locking cabinet.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Start with section 5 here: http://www.highdesertvending.com/machines_for_sale.htm
Surprisingly affordable.

More examples of finished ones: http://beachpackagingdesign.com/boxvox/ ... -gun-safes
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

I would be fearful that if it doesn't pass the disguise test, it would be easy defeated...
I think I'd rather put a grand into a "real" safe.
Dogslayer

Post by Dogslayer »

Pro2a wrote: June 15th, 2018, 10:54 am I would be fearful that if it doesn't pass the disguise test, it would be easy defeated...
I think I'd rather put a grand into a "real" safe.
You are going to need more than a $1,000 to get a real safe, more like $5,000
or more to get a "real safe". Fort Knox offers an option of an AR500, 7 gauge thick liner on all 6 side's on some of their better safes. You don't drill through AR500.

Dogslayer
mike400

Post by mike400 »

Don't forget fire ratings, that could do as much damage as a burglar. I have heard that if you have a fire rated safe and you store IRS documents in it that all or some of the cost of the safe can be tax deductible. However I have not been able to confirm this.....
Flash

Post by Flash »

Sounds like a gray area for the common citizen.

For a business owner, absolutely do able to write off a safe for various things the business has/does.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

lol, oughta be a disclaimer in there somewhere. hahaha
samnev

Post by samnev »

admin wrote: May 31st, 2018, 5:15 pm Oh, I will add some advice that was given to me when I started with guns: Get a bigger safe than you think you will need.

I didn't heed that as well as I should have. Cost me more money in the long run because of it.
+1 Me to, I bought a Liberty 42 gun Presidential Safe. Now the guns are parked in like sardines. One word of caution. I you have a big heavy safe and have it bolt to the floor it will cost a fortune should you ever move. It had to be lifted over the bolts holding it to the floor, areal PITA, then moved with safe jacks to a truck with a lift gate.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I learned my lesson a long time ago on huge safes, they are a godsend to store stuff in, but if you are prone to moving or remodeling ect, they are by no means an easy task to relocate. let alone empty ect. although i did find some stuff i'd forgotten about way back in that dark corner, lol

i have 7 safes total, all are medium size, with a rather large one that houses different things other than shooters. all are alarmed, room is alarmed, motion sensors on safes, and well, am real happy with the fact i can move them with just one individual (empty that is) only ammo in safes is a few loaded mags for the first one in line up, and of course the pistola corral has a gaggle of loaded mags.

one cannot have enough safe space, even with that i have walls adorned with shotguns from days gone by and a gun cabinet or two. Space the other currency in gun collecting
Rj
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

knockonit wrote: June 19th, 2018, 9:49 am i have 7 safes total

:bow-yellow:
redj

Post by redj »

admin wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:25 am

If you like that , you should read page one.
He has 9 safes there.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

redj wrote: June 19th, 2018, 11:06 am
admin wrote: June 19th, 2018, 10:25 am

If you like that , you should read page one.
He has 9 safes there.

yep, i always forget about the sturdysafe in garage and the other one in the 40 ft container, frankly its hard to keep up with what i do have, and presently some of it is going away. have been downsizing most of this year on milsurps. a few here have been to the bbq and seen the event room, hehe, i'm kinda proud of it, took me alife time to acquire.

Rj
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Great idea....
read up on fire rating labels- you will probably need that feature more than to worry about a burglar- they will get in if determined enough. Make sure the safe is bolted to the floor and the wall behind it. Don't place it where they can get leverage with a bar. If at all possible, encase the sides with conc or block walls or anything hard to keep them from cutting the sides/back/top- those are the soft spots...

when moving your safe - get some sch 1 1/2" 40 PVC -cut to length and roll it like the Egyptians did.