Long Gun Safe?

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
mrmccrackin
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Long Gun Safe?

Post by mrmccrackin »

Its time to start looking at a bigger safe.

I remember reading that the Costco and Cabela's safes are good to go, but I am sure there are other options out there locally.

Price point - trying to stay around $1000 if possible.

What brands/models should I be looking into and where locally in the East Valley?

underw0rld
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Long Gun Safe?

Post by underw0rld »

Invest in quality. Can't go wrong with Fort Knox.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Depends on your goal. If its to protect against fire, kids, and/or quick "snatch and grab" theft, then your big box safes should do the job. Sportsman's also has some. Keep this in mind though:

and
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I disagree with the reality of the situation portrayed in those videos. Most home robberies are smash-and-grab type situations. They grab whatever they can get within a couple minutes that's within easy reach. And stuff they know they can sell for quick money: computers, TV's, jewelry, tablets, phones, cash, medicine cabinet stuff, etc. They are unlikely to try to get into a large gun safe. However, if someone breaks into your home knowing you have a safe and comes in with angle grinders and huge pry bars, they are going to get into your safe regardless of the quality or what you paid for it. A higher quality might take another 60 seconds over a Cannon or Sentry, but they WILL get into it if that's their intent. The purpose of a safe is not to make your stuff un-stealable, it's to make it that much more difficult for them to steal so that they must think "is the potential pay-off worth the time/effort to get into it"? Most criminals that would do this wouldn't know that if the safe says "Cannon" or "Sentry", it might be easier than if it says "Graffunder" or "Ft. Knox" on the front. To most of these types, it's just a safe.

Further, is there room where your safe is to tip it over and stand around to get leverage like they are using in the videos? Doubtful. Could they move it from the closet where it is to do that? Maybe, is it bolted to the ground. Even if it's not, how heavy is the safe by itself? What about WITH the contents in it?

IMO, a residential safe is about preventing the smash and grab robberies and should be in addition to other safety measures; locking doors, not making yourself a target, an alarm system, monitoring, etc.

Unless we're talking some ultra-expensive or rare gun collection, I would be just as content with an inexpensive $1K safe in my residence as I would with a Graffunder safe. That's just my $0.02.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, I will add some advice that was given to me when I started with guns: Get a bigger safe than you think you will need.

I didn't heed that as well as I should have. Cost me more money in the long run because of it.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

admin wrote: May 31st, 2018, 5:13 pm I disagree with the reality of the situation portrayed in those videos. Most home robberies are smash-and-grab type situations. They grab whatever they can get within a couple minutes that's within easy reach. And stuff they know they can sell for quick money: computers, TV's, jewelry, tablets, phones, cash, medicine cabinet stuff, etc. They are unlikely to try to get into a large gun safe. However, if someone breaks into your home knowing you have a safe and comes in with angle grinders and huge pry bars, they are going to get into your safe regardless of the quality or what you paid for it. A higher quality might take another 60 seconds over a Cannon or Sentry, but they WILL get into it if that's their intent. The purpose of a safe is not to make your stuff un-stealable, it's to make it that much more difficult for them to steal so that they must think "is the potential pay-off worth the time/effort to get into it"? Most criminals that would do this wouldn't know that if the safe says "Cannon" or "Sentry", it might be easier than if it says "Graffunder" or "Ft. Knox" on the front. To most of these types, it's just a safe.

Further, is there room where your safe is to tip it over and stand around to get leverage like they are using in the videos? Doubtful. Could they move it from the closet where it is to do that? Maybe, is it bolted to the ground. Even if it's not, how heavy is the safe by itself? What about WITH the contents in it?

IMO, a residential safe is about preventing the smash and grab robberies and should be in addition to other safety measures; locking doors, not making yourself a target, an alarm system, monitoring, etc.

Unless we're talking some ultra-expensive or rare gun collection, I would be just as content with an inexpensive $1K safe in my residence as I would with a Graffunder safe. That's just my $0.02.
I've always said that security must be multi layered.
Good locks, safe that is bolted down and cannot be beat with a simply crowbar from that position, cameras and an active alarm.
Flash

Post by Flash »

underw0rld wrote: May 31st, 2018, 4:19 pm Invest in quality. Can't go wrong with Fort Knox.
wrote:Oh, I will add some advice that was given to me when I started with guns: Get a bigger safe than you think you will need.
I didn't heed that as well as I should have. Cost me more money in the long run because of it.

Sound advice on both counts. I recently had my 4th safe delivered, this one a Ft. Knox I bought from Jesse at Safe City in Mesa. He's great to deal with and has good products and prices. Delivery is outstanding also.

Ft. Knox safes can be re-configured inside with the purchase of shelving/gun rack stuff which can be purchased reasonably. My current safe can be configured for anywhere from no long guns to 57 long guns and that's great flexibility.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Tim McBride wrote: May 31st, 2018, 7:25 pm
admin wrote: May 31st, 2018, 5:13 pm I disagree with the reality of the situation portrayed in those videos. Most home robberies are smash-and-grab type situations. They grab whatever they can get within a couple minutes that's within easy reach. And stuff they know they can sell for quick money: computers, TV's, jewelry, tablets, phones, cash, medicine cabinet stuff, etc. They are unlikely to try to get into a large gun safe. However, if someone breaks into your home knowing you have a safe and comes in with angle grinders and huge pry bars, they are going to get into your safe regardless of the quality or what you paid for it. A higher quality might take another 60 seconds over a Cannon or Sentry, but they WILL get into it if that's their intent. The purpose of a safe is not to make your stuff un-stealable, it's to make it that much more difficult for them to steal so that they must think "is the potential pay-off worth the time/effort to get into it"? Most criminals that would do this wouldn't know that if the safe says "Cannon" or "Sentry", it might be easier than if it says "Graffunder" or "Ft. Knox" on the front. To most of these types, it's just a safe.

I've always said that security must be multi layered.
Good locks, safe that is bolted down and cannot be beat with a simply crowbar from that position, cameras and an active alarm.
I agree with the above!!! :D
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

The big difference is its T&L rating. Most "gun safes" are not rated all that great on the tool and lock manipulation. My safe is Amsec and is a pain if you ever have to move #2500 empty
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Also, the reality is that a $10 angle grinder from Harbor Freight will cut right through the side of most all gun safes with ease. There's the youtube videos of people cutting through them on there as well.

I found this out when I helped a shooting buddy drill through his expensive safe to put an electrical plug-in for lighting. We drilled through his safe with a hole saw and drill bits like going through butter. It seems the only thick spots are the doors and around the fronts of most safes. The rest is just sheet metal along with some drywall if its fire rated. Nothing to defeat anyone determined to get in.

So I agree that its a moot point on what safe you get. They can be defeated with prying the safe open or with cutting through it. However, the majority of burglars spend, on average, between 8 to 12 minutes in your home. Any longer and they risk detection from the alarm causing police to arrive or alerting neighbors. Except in very unusual circumstances will thieves ever take the time to pry open or grind through your safe.

I think the most important thing is to have your valuables hidden/disguised when you're gone. Thieves normally don't spend much time in your house so they won't steal what they don't see. Use either a safe(s) or keep your stuff in a secured closet/room. Just make sure they're disguised enough to fool the average thief. Thieves steal because its easier than working for a living. Making it harder for them causes them to head down the road for easier pickings.
BroncoAZ

Post by BroncoAZ »

After owning several safes, I went Sturdy. No regrets. Ft Knox was the runner up, but cost about 20% more for similar steel thickness.

I’m also a firm believer of layers of security/alarm/keeping your mouth shot and activities on the down low.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I have a gaggle of safes, 9 actually, each a little different, all are inside a alarmed house, safes have motion sensors on them, cameras outside, inside, and while i feel confident it is reasonably safe, does not matter, i figure its a matter of when someone will attempt a break in, have 3 large dogs who are always around and alert, don't like strangers when told to.

safes are not top line, nor would i buy one, a thief if so desired or a professional at thiefery will find a way, no matter what.
all one can hope for is hold'm off till the gendarms arive
Rj
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I know one fellow who has one of these that he keeps in the garage. He parks few heavy boxes in front of it to make it look forgotten and non-functional. He got burgled about 2 years ago where they only got into the garage and not the house. They took tools and all the beer in his fridge he keeps out there,...but they never even looked at the old busted vending machine.

Last edited by Suck My Glock on February 9th, 2019, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 1st, 2018, 5:39 pm If I didn't already have a traditional gun safe that fills my need, I would likely get one of these. I like the fact that it uses camoflage to make the cretins just keep on moving. I know one fellow who has one of these that he keeps in the garage. He parks few heavy boxes in front of it to make it look forgotten and non-functional. He got burgled about 2 years ago where they only got into the garage and not the house. They took tools and all the beer in his fridge he keeps out there,...but they never even looked at the old busted vending machine.

Does anybody actually manufacture those for sale?, The internet doesn't have much
Flash

Post by Flash »

Pro2a wrote: June 13th, 2018, 5:53 pm Does anybody actually manufacture those for sale?, The internet doesn't have much
That appears to be homemade judging from the empty area in the bottom where the motor and what not was originally.

Buy one that's not working, gut it and do it yourself.