Best budget safe?

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
mallic
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Best budget safe?

Post by mallic »

Alright, before people start lecturing me that I need to spend a higher dollar amount, I know. And if I had the money, I would. But I don't have the money, and won't for many years. That being said, what do you all feel is the best safe/locked storage container to be had for sub 500$? I don't currently have much in the way of firearms, but I would be sad to see stuff walk off.

mock0013

Re: Best budget safe?

Post by mock0013 »

The most important thing you can do is make sure to drill and mount the safe to the foundation. Find out if you have a tensioned slab as drilling your safe could damage your house slab. if you only have $500 make sure to put the safe in a hidden location. Make sure if you have workers over that they never see the safe. aka if you have the safe in the garage, keep the shipping box and keep the safe covered with the box and slide it off when you need to open it. If you have any cutting power tools, make sure to lock them up so thieves can't use your own tools to cut through the low 12 gauge sides of a $500 safe. Spend money on an alarm system instead so the thieves are limited in their time available. Cheap safes with electronic keypads fail and then you have to pay a locksmith to drill out the safe!!!! this is expensive so try to find a lifetime warranty on the keypad. it's worth another $100-200 seriously
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I would look for a good used one.
They pop up every now and again and if you look around you can find a decent one in your price range.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Liberty makes a good safe in your price range
gunsnboobs

Post by gunsnboobs »

mock0013 wrote: November 17th, 2018, 11:34 am The most important thing you can do is make sure to drill and mount the safe to the foundation. Find out if you have a tensioned slab as drilling your safe could damage your house slab. if you only have $500 make sure to put the safe in a hidden location. Make sure if you have workers over that they never see the safe. aka if you have the safe in the garage, keep the shipping box and keep the safe covered with the box and slide it off when you need to open it. If you have any cutting power tools, make sure to lock them up so thieves can't use your own tools to cut through the low 12 gauge sides of a $500 safe. Spend money on an alarm system instead so the thieves are limited in their time available. Cheap safes with electronic keypads fail and then you have to pay a locksmith to drill out the safe!!!! this is expensive so try to find a lifetime warranty on the keypad. it's worth another $100-200 seriously
Why would a person pay for a locksmith when you yourself said it can be cut through on the sides by power tools. Are you talking about the keypad completely failing or just the battery going dead? I bought a used safe one time and called the manufacturer to get an owners manual and info on changing the keypad code from the previous owner.
mock0013

Post by mock0013 »

of course you could cut from the side and do it yourself since budget safes are so so thin.... but typically locksmith know where to drill to open the safe unless it has the ball bearings/stainless which breaks bits ... but this is a high end safe that does that.