To be digital or to not be digital- safe edition

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
rickynb_04
New to ArizonaShooting.org

To be digital or to not be digital- safe edition

Post by rickynb_04 »

Looking at getting my first handgun and was wondering if anyone had any real life experience to help me decide if a digital safe or a combo lock/ keyhole safe would be better. What are some pros and cons you deal with on the day to day that you usually wouldn't think of or expect.

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: To be digital or to not be digital- safe edition

Post by QuietM4 »

Mechanical dial lock. Simple is better.
baja

Post by baja »

QuietM4 wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 7:33 pm Mechanical dial lock. Simple is better.
Yup
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i've both, so far no issue with the digital, with exception of one large safe digital, and believe me one is not enough, especially if you stash more than one in the abode. :D
BigTub

Post by BigTub »

I visited a top-notch locksmith, and the same subject came up: repair calls 10:1 for electronic versus mechanical. I chose poorly.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Dial all the way if you have a choice. Even they can mess up, particularly if the combo was not set super precise. My new safe was hard to perfectly dial, until it stopped opening:

Got it open and a new lock from Liberty. The combo re-set by a locksmith. Was fine but I changed the combo myself later after Liberty had their fiasco. I do note the lock is almost 100% opening now vs. about 75% when new. I attribute that to my painstaking and paranoid setting of the new combo.
Feal

Post by Feal »

If it’s just one handgun ( which it usually isn’t) I like the mechanical push button simplex locks.

I had a amsec safe combo fail on me once, the dial slipped, I was able to open it by trying the combo +1 -1. Reset it and haven’t had an issue again
Winmagbill

Post by Winmagbill »

BigTub wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 5:21 pm I visited a top-notch locksmith, and the same subject came up: repair calls 10:1 for electronic versus mechanical. I chose poorly.
Doesn’t mean anything. If there are 10 digital safes for every mechanical then the repair calls are statistically equal. You’d also need to factor in the quality of the lock mechanism. Plenty of Cheap ass Harbor Freight level safes out there pumping the numbers up. I would also want to know what the repair cost for each would be. Plenty of posts online of people who call a repair guy to change the battery.

The big plus for digital IMO is opening at night (or anytime) with no glasses on :ugeek: :x . No way I’m getting that done spinning a dial.