Ditching the digital lock

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
W1NG3R
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Ditching the digital lock

Post by W1NG3R »

In light of the Liberty Safe fiasco, I'm contemplating if swapping out a digital lock to an old school mechanical lock is worth the effort or even possible. I'm aware if they want in, they are gonna get in but why make it easy.

Has anybody got knowledge or experience on the subject?

XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Ditching the digital lock

Post by XJThrottle »

Take the battery out of the digital lock and use the key to access it.

Of course put the keypad back on as a decoy..
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

XJThrottle wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:50 pm Take the battery out of the digital lock and use the key to access it.

I'd think you'd want to render the key pad inop. The Feds have access to batteries, as well as the codes.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

I guess you could leave the battery(s) in it, but unplug it from the lock mech. That way it would appear to work..beep..boop..beep.

But no magic unlocky.
rockbronco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by rockbronco »

Mine with a digital doesn't have a key backup. Ive often wondered what it would take to swap to mechanical but I do use this one for quick access to stuff and the digital definitely makes it faster.
Abbey

Post by Abbey »

I'd wait for clarification on the Liberty issue. My understanding is that there is no backdoor master code, just a default code from the factory. That doesn't change Liberty's guilt in this scenario but does mean that it's your fault if you don't change the default factory code as soon as you get a new safe. It's been awhile, but I recall my safe had a programming code and at least 1 user code. The very first thing I did was change the programming code, then used it to create new user codes and delete the old ones, verifying that none of the old codes worked.

I'd love to hear someone knowledgeable like Jesse from Safe City chime in. If there were a default factory code, then couldn't dealers get that code when they service someone's safe? That just makes no sense from a security standpoint.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

https://www.libertysafe.com/blogs/the-v ... -safe-lock

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

^^^ good info right there
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I sense there will be many busy locksmiths in the coming weeks doing conversions.
Drmark

Post by Drmark »

A little FYI. You can call Liberty Safes to delete your back up code from their system and have a hard copy sent to you. They will also supply you an analog dial kit for free if you choose to eliminate the electronic key pad.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

While the company should have told them to pound sand, if someone really wants into any gun safe it's not terribly difficult especially the feds. I wouldn't personally worry much. You'd be better off camouflaging the safe into the wall or other furniture type of disguise like a bookcase etc.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Drmark wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:00 pm
XJThrottle wrote: September 6th, 2023, 2:50 pm Take the battery out of the digital lock and use the key to access it.

I'd think you'd want to render the key pad inop. The Feds have access to batteries, as well as the codes.
They have access to every digital lock and can lock you out of your own safe. The devices are already in the hands of thieves but are not the same devices as what the government uses. Give up safety for convenience at your own risk. Someday they may be coming to take your guns and when you decide to stand up your safe may not work.
any4xx

Post by any4xx »

This is not a difficult DIY project. Easy to swap and easy to set your own combination. I’ve done this several times. Several online retailers can set you up with a lock and dial (almost always sold separately). You don’t need the best of the best to have good security. Just stick with a name brand and you’ll be golden.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

any4xx wrote: September 29th, 2023, 6:18 am This is not a difficult DIY project. Easy to swap and easy to set your own combination. I’ve done this several times. Several online retailers can set you up with a lock and dial (almost always sold separately). You don’t need the best of the best to have good security. Just stick with a name brand and you’ll be golden.
This. Most of the locks share a common footprint.

After the S&G mech lock on my safe went weird and was replaced, they used the same combo that Liberty set up and has a record of.

Meanwhile, just because i am a chronic fiddler, I bought a "Big Red" lock and change keys. I may or may not swap the locks, but will tackle changing the combo.

The second lock gives me a place to practice combo setting before the real thing.

It is no more than a careful mechanical operation to go through.
SHootUp

Post by SHootUp »

Swapping to a mechanical lock on a Liberty Safe is totally doable. I switched mine for better reliability. If you're handy, it's a straightforward DIY, or a locksmith can easily do it. It's a worthy upgrade for peace of mind.