Cannon Safe Input Issue

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
YotaSauce
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Cannon Safe Input Issue

Post by YotaSauce »

My Cannon safe is acting a bit weird. When I input my code (yes I am inputting my code correctly) the keypad sometimes accepts it and sometimes it won't. I have recently been locked out more and more and the dumb thing is I have to go through their locked protocol which takes 5 minutes per lock out.

I have a Cannon Lock Type A - https://cannonsafe.com/user-manual/lock_type_A

It's signaling the acceptance per button push so I am not sure what's going on. Maybe it's pushing it too hard? If that's even a thing.

Sometimes I will type slow, sometimes I will type fast, and it seems to just do what it wants. Not sure, any ideas on a digital keypad messing up like this?

Winmagbill

Re: Cannon Safe Input Issue

Post by Winmagbill »

I start with new batteries. If that’s not it I’d contact Cannon about the lifetime parts warranty.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

^^^ I second this. Once batteries get weak, they get hinky.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

I'll give the new battery a go, but I just replaced it about 6 months ago. Could be a bad battery right off the bat.

I'm just wondering if the buttons themselves are starting to go? @Winmagbill I'll have to reach out to them, didn't know they had lifetime parts warranty.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

I just spoke with Cannon, they didn't even try to diagnose what happened.

They are just sending me a new unit to install so that was pretty nice.

I'll report back on how the install goes once I get it. They said it could be a month or two to get one sent so we'll see.
Doc

Post by Doc »

YotaSauce wrote: April 18th, 2023, 2:50 pm I just spoke with Cannon, they didn't even try to diagnose what happened.

They are just sending me a new unit to install so that was pretty nice.

I'll report back on how the install goes once I get it. They said it could be a month or two to get one sent so we'll see.
It’s in the mail? Lol.
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

Who knows? Cannon says it takes 15-20 business days to ship. Doesn’t seem Like it’ll get here fast, but it’s free.

No tracking code emailed as of yet. But we’ll see.
jnojr

Post by jnojr »

Did you try a new battery? I just had the electronic lock on a safe act "weird". Replaced the battery, and all is well.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

YotaSauce wrote: April 18th, 2023, 11:38 am My Cannon safe is acting a bit weird. When I input my code (yes I am inputting my code correctly) the keypad sometimes accepts it and sometimes it won't. I have recently been locked out more and more and the dumb thing is I have to go through their locked protocol which takes 5 minutes per lock out.

I have a Cannon Lock Type A - https://cannonsafe.com/user-manual/lock_type_A

It's signaling the acceptance per button push so I am not sure what's going on. Maybe it's pushing it too hard? If that's even a thing.

Sometimes I will type slow, sometimes I will type fast, and it seems to just do what it wants. Not sure, any ideas on a digital keypad messing up like this?
Different brand safe - same keypad - probably made in the same factory - I've had issues with it twice and both times a new battery made the problem go away. The second time I noticed that the tone changed on some of the button pushes... it started with just the last number... then the last two.. then the last three... then suddenly I can't get in to the safe.... Change the battery and "poof" all is right with the world. The next time I hear a funky tone I'll change the battery immediately.

YMMV
Doc

Post by Doc »

YotaSauce wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 11:52 pm Who knows? Cannon says it takes 15-20 business days to ship. Doesn’t seem Like it’ll get here fast, but it’s free.

No tracking code emailed as of yet. But we’ll see.
You get this fixed yet? Curious on their customer service
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

YotaSauce wrote: April 18th, 2023, 11:38 am My Cannon safe is acting a bit weird. When I input my code (yes I am inputting my code correctly) the keypad sometimes accepts it and sometimes it won't.
Mechanical dial locks get weird too.
Had a less that one year old Liberty safe suddenly decide to ignore a properly entered combo.

Some judicious rubber mallet tapping got it open, good for getting the toys accessible.

The el-cheapo Sentry I have has never passed gas, let alone threatened to lock me out.

Do not trust "fast access".
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

I just heard from Cannon today. They said:

Hello

I just got information that we should be getting them the first week of may

So hoping they get them in and then ship to me asap. I'll see!
Pinetop

Post by Pinetop »

Speaking of keypads on Cannon safes, I had an issue with the keypad on my cannon in late February in that it wasn't operating all the time, even with new batteries, it would sometimes not open. Anyway, Cannon said would ship a new model (different manufacture) within 15 to 20 days. This was on March 2nd. After the 20th day I called and was told they were having a problem getting the new keypads. One operator told me they shipped from Juarez, Mexico while another day another operator told me they would ship from "Overseas".... Anyway, last week I did an internet search for "NL Keypad for Cannon Safe" and came up with "mbausa.com". Ordered an NLRotobolt for $45 plus $5 shipping and tax, and it got here in 3 days via US Postal Service Express Mail. MBAUSA bills through Amazon Pay, so if you have an amazon account, they will charge your account right away, and it is legit. Got the keypad installed Friday night, tested multiple times with the door open, and then finally closed and locked the safe on Saturday. And it opened on my first attempt......YEAH!!!
If anyone has any questions I can answer, let me know. My Cannon Safe is a floor standing unit purchased from Costco in about 2015.
Pinetop

Re: More Cannon Safe Input Issue

Post by Pinetop »

Also, from what I read on various on line sites, many times the issue is that the current carrying material on the back of each "Number" (1,2,3,etc) on you keypad can wear off with a lot of activity, to the point that it does not make good contact with the corresponding spot on the back of the keypad, thus not giving the correct signal to the small box on the back of the safe door, which receives the "Input" contact closure from the keypad. Makes sense to me as I used to open and close it multiple times per day years ago..............
YotaSauce

Post by YotaSauce »

@Pinetop That is exactly what I think happened. Because I can notice when a button beeps, but doesn't "take". But, still confusing either way.

Update - They got the replacement part in but they shipped it to someone's address in Nevada. I have not idea why they would do that. Contacted them again and asked them to send to me this time and expedite for the inconvenience. Let's see what happens!