Home alarm systems

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
338lapua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Home alarm systems

Post by 338lapua »

Been getting hosed for a while by my current company. Anyone using services like Simply Safe and the newer Ring systems? Current company of $25 years was supposed to have a lifetime $25 monitoring through USAA but I recently found they have been charging me $45 a month for monitoring as well as charging for service calls. I am done with them.

F4D
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Home alarm systems

Post by F4D »

who is the current company?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

ADT
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

I paid for hardware and installed my own system a few years back. Same system new ADT/Vivint use with touch screen and I am paying alarm.com vender $19 mo(no in between monitor company). Its a solid system but pricey in today's market and options. Added the ring doorbell + cameras and pay $100 year to have stored cloud recordings. I really like the ring product.....very well made and great support. Like the two-way voice interface where I can answer the door bell or tease my dogs from anywhere. Can check you vid logs and see when amazon dropped your package or when someone got home. I see if you get the ring security the cost is $100 year incl all the security cam features/vid storage.

My neighbor has a Simplisafe install and it is very easy install and set up. Cameras are good but his lack the two way com I enjoy. He really does not care and wanted a standard alarm with few options. Other than that he has similar controls and settings to his alarm system that I do. I believe he pays $25 mo. for full monitor and smart phone connect/control.

If I did it over again at my place I would go with Ring for security and cameras just because I like the two way voice cameras and door bell vid answer. You can see most people react to the video cam at your door bell...they have no idea where you are. If your not a fan of Amazon's owner you won't want Ring as they were purchased by them in March. On positive note Amazon will surely integrate Alexa and its family of smart tech products as one over time. Neither Ring or Simplisafe have contracts so prices are not guaranteed/locked over the long haul.

My .02 and I am sure others will have more input for you.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

I see where Alexa is part of the simply safe system now, I will never have that spying device in my house..
Flash

Post by Flash »

I use WiFi cameras inside my house. They're set up for motion detection and will even pick up something as small as a cat in the house.

From the time they detect motion to when I get a notification on my smart phone is always between 3~5 seconds. I can then look at the app and see who's in the house and call the cops or a neighbor to go check on things if I want. I can be thousands of miles away and it still works fine.

It's good enough for me and doesn't cost anything in monthly fees.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Ring requires a "strong" wifi signal to work properly so they are out. My goal is to eliminate Cox, their internet and phone line from my life as well as the 150 a month I pay them.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Simplisafe will work without any wifi AND they can live stream video through the cell link in base station, looks like the winner.
jrleen

Post by jrleen »

I am running Ring w/4 cameras, Alarm.com, 3 smart TV's +link to phone on CenturyLink $40 mo service.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Simplisafe is ordered, They even threw in a free camera.
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

Report back when you're up and running, could ya? I'm looking for a new system myself.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Subscribed.....currently looking a the ring system for my new place but not set yet.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

Tenring wrote: July 25th, 2018, 9:12 pm Subscribed.....currently looking a the ring system for my new place but not set yet.
Ring is the one I wanted BUT the lack of a internet connection at my home starting next week they say it will not work right. I like the ring doorbell, a neighbor has one, one day when sitting in her house it picked up someone who pulled into my driveway, they didn't stay long when I confronted them.

Video is also coming for me just cant decide on exactly what yet. I want to figure out a way to get 2 cameras as plate readers day and night so when someone is doing weird crap I have their plate on video.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

A friend has the ring doorbell and camera at his house and shop. works good. I am not sure what alarm system they have but it alerts them when someone is outside, or drives by.
Dauph

Post by Dauph »

Very interested in hearing more on Simplisafe system. They had a pretty good deal over the July 4th Holiday but didn’t do it. I think they charge $14 a month. If it doesn’t need wifi that’s another plus, already have enough gadgets on it now.