mechanical combo lock just decided not to open

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
QuangTri
ArizonaShooting.org Member

mechanical combo lock just decided not to open

Post by QuangTri »

Weird, and as it is the weekend, no help available so I thought I would throw it out here.

Last December took receipt of a new Liberty safe with mechanical lock. Lock worked fine as long as you did not mess up the turns.
Yesterday morning, opened and closed it several times. Afternoon go to open it and do net get the usual "stop" at around 87 so the handle would operate.

Tried the +1,+2 and -1,-2 tricks. Nothing. Was told that should not be the issue with a new lock.

Anyone hear of this happening? Will try the safe place I got it from come business hours Monday. Do not want to pay for an emergency call on a safe should be under warranty.

So much for the reliability of mechanical locks

kenpoprofessor

Re: mechanical combo lock just decided not to open

Post by kenpoprofessor »

BillDesertHills on here is a locksmith, you should ask him.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Done, gracias.
iammaxwell

Post by iammaxwell »

Hope they make it right for you.

FWIW
Years back I got a used safe that needed a new lock. Did lots of research, and ultimately opted for a keyed lock. I love it.
https://mbausa.com/4-wheel-keyed-safe-l ... scutcheon/
Always wondered why you never see this as an option on a new safe.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Watched a video of the inner workings of a S & G lock. With some BFG (rubber mallet) banging about the spot I figured all should be lined up, it released and the handle turned.

Now of course I do not trust it to lock it again. Would seem like a bit of lubing or something if it did not want to slip in without the thumping. Emergency call said the numbers should not have slipped on a new lock, so it makes sense the hook thing was just not slipping into place.
Drmark
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Drmark »

Sounds like a burr, or a/some metal shaving issue. Have the whole lock assembly gone through under warranty. KY jelly is not the fix!
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

Safe shop does not open for another 40 minutes. Will see if I get attention right away or not.

Since it was open, tried the lock, and it is still farqued up. Good, nothing worse than a problem going away on it's own just to show back up at the worst time.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

My safe has an electronic lock, which now and then acts up. I have taken to keeping one gun concealed in the house, so that I always have one that I can get to if the safe won't open.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

smithers599 wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:59 pm My safe has an electronic lock, which now and then acts up.
my solution to that was to have identical safes. that way if one lock fails, I swap locks to open the corresponding safe
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

cool arrow wrote: September 12th, 2022, 3:06 pm
smithers599 wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:59 pm My safe has an electronic lock, which now and then acts up.
my solution to that was to have identical safes. that way if one lock fails, I swap locks to open the corresponding safe
How exactly are you swapping locks without opening the safe? Keypads, fine, but that’s not usually what fails.
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I bought 3 of the exact same safe, when the battery dies in one, I can swap the keypad from one to another and open the safe.

I had one where the keypad went out, and having them be the same allowed me to open the safe while I awaited a replacement keypad.
smithers599

Post by smithers599 »

So, QuangTri, what's the after-action report? Did the dealer clean, lube, repair, replace?
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

smithers599 wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:19 am So, QuangTri, what's the after-action report? Did the dealer clean, lube, repair, replace?
Liberty replied after suggesting all the "usual" jiggery pokery with +1,2, etc. The tech did mention that it was unlikely a fairly new lock would have slipped a number.

They accepted that it was hosed and are sending a new lock to the safe dealer for install and issued a work order. Would imply they expect the lock to be messed up.

Dunno how long to get a lock from Payson Utah to Tucson. Still waiting for Road Runner safe to contact for the replacement work.

Being able get in and recover stuff took a load off my mind at least. Be climbing the walls if my toys were in there.

Further unlocking tries with the door open do not work, seemed to be a progressive failure. Very intrigued to find out what went wrong. Just had a feeling mech locks worked forever.
Last edited by QuangTri on September 14th, 2022, 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

i've had my share of electronic go back, but never a tumbler, hmmm, guess no matter what you buy, trouble is in the future of it.
Rj
Drmark

Post by Drmark »

Mechanical s*** will fail. However, years ago there was this thing called "quality control".