Safe in the garage

This is the forum to discuss anything related to protecting your firearms, from safes, to personal security.
rockbronco
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Safe in the garage

Post by rockbronco »

Any issues with keeping a safe in the garage? Any issues with temperature? heat? humidity? Figure I need to probably use dehumidifier or similar during months when we have higher then normal swamp ass. Its a typical track home 3 car garage. Insulated garage door and walls but no attic insulation above. Finished drywall etc. We also park our cars in there but the wife is the only one that comes and goes frequent enough to cause a hot soak for a few hours. Ive been storing ammo in a cabinet in the garage for a few years and its all been good. Figure firearms would be good to go and only have one wood stock rifle that I dont think will care.

Its not my first choice of location but it wont fit inside the house and do not really want to pass up on the deal Im getting for the size of safe that it is. I work on a project car in the garage often so I would cover the view from the street somehow.... faux wall etc so its not obvious to what it is. Its large enough I will have to remove some built in cabinets to be able tp park vehicles in different locations to create space so I want to make sure Im on the right track before going through with the work and hassle of moving it home.

knockonit

Re: Safe in the garage

Post by knockonit »

i've had one in my garage here in no phx for over 20 years, never an issue, also have one in a container out back ,been in there at least a dozen years, never been any problems, only issue i've ever had with heat and garage and containers is anything leather and chinese plastic

i just hang a drop cloth over it, to keep it under wraps sorta.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

You should be good...just get a heavy duty desiccant pack / dehumidifier to be on the safe side.

Bolt it to the concrete, and try to hide the safe from view when the garage is open...your neighbors don't need to know what you've got, or thieves passing by.
QuangTri

Post by QuangTri »

To keep an eye on things, pick up one of those thermometer/hygrometers that record maximum and minimum. Stick it up inside top of the safe.

I do that and hang one of those rechargeable desiccant things in mine.
Smaller ammo safe just gets desiccant.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

crap if'n your worried about moisture put a bag of kitty litter in it, i've never put jack squat in mine ,and got no rust, and i use a cooler 6 months out of year and had a mobile one i used to cool my garage when i was building shite'
enjoy
rj
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

Thanks for the tips, I figured it would be fine but thought I would ask.
I don’t have rust issues in the garage on tools or raw steel so can’t see any reason why the safe would. Easy enough to toss some desiccate bags in there just in case.

I’m keeping my current safe in the bedroom as well for quick access stuff(got 2 munchkins running around) It’s going to be nice not having to dig for stuff anymore.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

My last safe I had in a garage, it was temperatures similar to Oro Valley. I just kept a golden rod humidifier rod in it for the moisture and what worked really well to camouflage it from prying eyes was I used the box it came in cut out one side so that the logo wasn't on the box so it could be slipped on the safe to hide it.

Worked very well and held up for years of removing and replacing since the cardboard was fairly thick.
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

I've had my safe in the garage for the last 20 years, bolted to the floor and wall, I also built garage storage cabinets around it, you'd never know there's a safe there behind two doors, my garage is in the front of the house and when it's open anyone walking by has full view of the inside.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

SupportTheSecond wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:32 am My last safe I had in a garage, it was temperatures similar to Oro Valley. I just kept a golden rod humidifier rod in it for the moisture and what worked really well to camouflage it from prying eyes was I used the box it came in cut out one side so that the logo wasn't on the box so it could be slipped on the safe to hide it.

Worked very well and held up for years of removing and replacing since the cardboard was fairly thick.
Ive have seen guys use the box which is a great idea. I will not have a box with this one so will have to come up with something else
tunnug wrote: July 26th, 2022, 9:24 am I've had my safe in the garage for the last 20 years, bolted to the floor and wall, I also built garage storage cabinets around it, you'd never know there's a safe there behind two doors, my garage is in the front of the house and when it's open anyone walking by has full view of the inside.
Same here with my garage. I have some large built in cabinets that came with the house. While I love the storage I hate the size and position they are in since it eats up parking. these things are on my 3rd car side. 3ft deep and 10ft tall and about 20ft long or so. the last 10ft are lower so the garage door can still open. One option is to gut the shorter section and put the safe in there with a larger door to hide. Issue is I wont be able to open the door all the way without moving a rzr which which how deep the cabinets are doesn't fit out the small garage door rather has to be parallel parked which means other vehicles have to be moved. While this isnt that big of a deal it will be very inconvenient as I see my self having to open the safe weekly.

The other option is to tear out all the cabinets and move cars around which may actually work better for vehicle access anyway. My project car is drive able but have to pack it in with a floor jack to get it as close to the wall as possible to give enough access for the wife and kiddos to get in and out of the car in the middle. Thus I dont drive it as much as I want since its a job to get in and out. Negative here is I will loose all the storage for other shat in those cabinets. Positive as I can probably use the parts to rebuild around the safe to hide it from street view. Not complaining rather kicking ideas around for the best solution. The safe will be worth the hassle getting it home and positioned. Once I find its home its not moving unless we move :lol:
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

It's never been a problem since the garage turned into my man cave and will never see a vehicle in it, it holds all my wood working, welding and re-loading stuff.
Forgot to mention that for a cheap dessicant I went to Michael's craft store and over on the flower arrangement aisle they have something like a 10 lb bag of silica gel for around $7, less if you use their coupon, pour some in a sock, tie it off and set in the safe.
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

On the topic of camouflage again since you won't have the box the other thing that works great are some real strong rare Earth magnets and a dark color sheet or something similar to this:

samnev

Post by samnev »

First make sure you don't have a Post Tensioned Slab garage floor. Bolt it to the floor add a Golden Rod dehumidifier a throw a sheet over it and you should be okay.
If you have a PTS it will be clearly marked in the concrete on the front of the slab.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

OMG don't hit a cable the joint will fold like a paper air plane, hehehe, funny stuff for sure, and its not end of world if you hit a cable. the great cable myth
Rj
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

knockonit wrote: July 30th, 2022, 9:15 am OMG don't hit a cable the joint will fold like a paper air plane, hehehe, funny stuff for sure, and its not end of world if you hit a cable. the great cable myth
Rj
Yep.
I have drilled hundreds of holes in post tension slabs , but that was before I found out from the internet how horribly dangerous it was.
Now I make sure someone else drills the holes.
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

No post tension slab in my home so no worries on placement based on cabling locations.

I think I have it lined out where I want to put it so need to work the logistics out. I want to figure out how to cover it in transit and stick it in the garage as quick as possible to keep out of neighbors view. Gotta love track homes where there are lots of eyes. :roll: Its quite obvious what it is and catches attention that I dont want.