External Link Rules

Having trouble with something related to the site? Have a good suggestion on how we can improve? Feel free to post it here. We can't guarantee we'll get to it, but we will read it! Site code of conduct and use agreement/rules also here.
h8pvmnt
ArizonaShooting.org Member
ArizonaShooting.org Member

External Link Rules

Post by h8pvmnt »

One of the things that bothered me about the old site was when you click on an external link in a thread it opens in the current tab. Is there a setting to make the default to open in a new tab. Invariably after i visit the link i close the tab and have to reopen the forum and find my place again. Just a thought. Also is there a way to make notify of replies the default and have to uncheck if don't want to be notified? Same for PM's

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External Link Rules

Post by admin »

Here's the issue with that. Yes, I can FORCE it for everyone, but if I force it, users don't have the "either/or" choice. I try to follow W3C guidelines, which is to not open the links in new windows unless they are for instructions, etc. When I don't force that setting, you have the option to just right-click and "open in new tab/window" if that's your preference.

Like you, I prefer they open in new tabs for outside links, but I also realize that not everyone is that way and decided not to force that setting.

Since I did make this entire site secure via SSL cert, it's easier to justify that since external sites opening in the same window would break that encryption anyway.

So what I will do is to take a middle road and set it up so that users can enable/disable "external links opening in new windows" in their control panel on the site based on their own preference.

I already coded the control panel for that, but just need to set up the code and test.

Same answer applies to notifications. You'd be surprised how many complaints I used to get of "spamming" users with email notifications when I had it enabled by default. I figure it's best to leave it off by default and let users enable it if they prefer.

Longer answer than you wanted, I'm sure.