"New Posts" not working

Having trouble with something related to the site? Have a good suggestion on how we can improve? Feel free to post it here. We can't guarantee we'll get to it, but we will read it! Site code of conduct and use agreement/rules also here.
superdrag67
ArizonaShooting.org Member

"New Posts" not working

Post by superdrag67 »

At least not like I'd expect. When I click on it I'm seeing the same stuff that's been showing up the last couple days. They aren't going away once I've scrolled through or even clicked on the thread it seems. Something on my end?

I made sure it wasn't because new posts were actually added to the thread.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "New Posts" not working

Post by admin »

It's working as intended, but let me try to elaborate a bit and provide some suggestions. This site stores your session info in the DB, along with what topics you've read (and haven't read). I do this so that your experience will be the same if you log in with your account on your computer and then later use your mobile device or tablet - you can pick up where you left off even though the site cookie info (which is unique to the device you use), is different.

If I set it as cookie-based (which is what you're expecting), then it would be based on your last session from that device.

Based on what I think you're asking, you'd probably be better served by using the "Unread posts" quick link, and then clicking on the "Mark all read" when you're done. Then, the next time you come back (regardless of which device you use, once you log in), you can click on "Unread posts" and you will see what's new since your last visit (or those you haven't read or "marked as read").

If you want to use "New Posts" as you're expecting it with the site storing read/unread data in the site DB, you would need to just log out when you're done on the site. Then, next time you visit, log back in and click "New Posts" and you'd have it show what you were originally expecting. Ie, you need to log out and log in each time.

Having it store that info in local cookies is the old way to do it when people would generally just visit from one device. Based on current Google Analytics trends on this site, 38% of the visits to this site are from mobile phones and 8% are from tablets!
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

Thanks for the explanation.
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I was wondering that as well, thanks for the question and the answer!
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

Good explanation admin. thanks