33 "SOLD" (or "withdrawn/delete/keeping/pulled") firearms listings

Having trouble with something related to the site? Have a good suggestion on how we can improve? Feel free to post it here. We can't guarantee we'll get to it, but we will read it! Site code of conduct and use agreement/rules also here.
Mr_Maim
ArizonaShooting.org Member

33 "SOLD" (or "withdrawn/delete/keeping/pulled") firearms listings

Post by Mr_Maim »

33 "SOLD" (or "withdrawn/delete/keeping/pulled") firearms listings currently in Rifles and Pistols for sale areas.

Hopefully this site doesn't end up like ArizonaShooting.com where there were hundreds of dead listings cluttering up the for sale forums? It was annoying as hell.

I'll help clean up if you want to promote my privileges for one hour and allow me to delete them. I'm serious.

Thank you.

h8pvmnt

Re: 33 "SOLD" (or "withdrawn/delete/keeping/pulled") firearms listings

Post by h8pvmnt »

I don't understand why they always go in there and say delete or sold. I like the adds left up as is with a sold in the title so can see what sold and for how much. But thats just me. But the other stuff is annoying where they just delete all the verbiage and the post is still there.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We've done this debate before. The SOLD ads are useful to a lot of people because the provide a general guideline for prices and interest. At some point, I may try to code something that allows someone to mark a topic as "sold" so that it displays in a different color or something. But even so, we all know that even with that, it's still up to the seller to tag it or update their ad - that's the bottom line.

The ads that are sold, fall to the back of the listings, so they shouldn't come up when you look at the forums. If you're doing a search, you can just use "-SOLD" and it won't include anything that has that in the title (or content, depending upon your search).

My preference is that sellers don't remove any of the ad content (like deleting the topic and replacing with "SOLD"), but I'm not sure that's the hill I want to die on at this time.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

I'd like to see both a sold tag options and an option to delete completely.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well how about no site at all, maybe, just saying
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

well how about no site at all, maybe, just saying , i also like the information left, it does help one is figuring out the market and values of said units.
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

knockonit wrote: July 13th, 2018, 7:23 pm well how about no site at all, maybe, just saying
:roll:
Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Gatsby »

I like having the sold ads for pricing, and change the title to sold but leave the content of the ad including pictures.

As far as deleting them, I did not know we COULD delete a topic we started, so I will have to figure out how to do that.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I'll put a little different twist on this. I feel that the BUYER has the last word on whether a piece HE/SHE BOUGHT should have ANY INFORMATION on THEIR PURCHASE made PUBLIC.

:)
AZ1

Post by AZ1 »

The buyer doesn't have to respond in the thread, they can send a private message to the seller.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gatsby wrote: July 14th, 2018, 3:55 am I like having the sold ads for pricing, and change the title to sold but leave the content of the ad including pictures.

As far as deleting them, I did not know we COULD delete a topic we started, so I will have to figure out how to do that.
You can only do that within a couple minutes of having posted it. Once it has been there for more than a few minutes, you cannot delete your post.
Mr_Maim

Post by Mr_Maim »

admin wrote: July 13th, 2018, 3:00 pm We've done this debate before. The SOLD ads are useful to a lot of people because the provide a general guideline for prices and interest. At some point, I may try to code something that allows someone to mark a topic as "sold" so that it displays in a different color or something. But even so, we all know that even with that, it's still up to the seller to tag it or update their ad - that's the bottom line.

The ads that are sold, fall to the back of the listings, so they shouldn't come up when you look at the forums. If you're doing a search, you can just use "-SOLD" and it won't include anything that has that in the title (or content, depending upon your search).

My preference is that sellers don't remove any of the ad content (like deleting the topic and replacing with "SOLD"), but I'm not sure that's the hill I want to die on at this time.
I agree that they are a useful reference point but only if the prices remain and even then only if the listed price is the sold price, which is often NOT the case.

The ONLY firearm forum that enforces a "leave it lie" rule regarding for sale items is AR15.com and that forum aggressively polices the ads and the admins have the ability to 1) roll back an ad once it has been edited, restoring the for sale price; 2) penalize/suspend the poster for obliterating the price; 3) changing the background color of the post title as it appears in the subforum list of posts. Lastly, 4) ads self-delete after 30 days so you don't have hundreds of dead posts just sitting there.

Without strict rules and strict policing of all the posts in the For Sale sections, it'll never work. Do you have the time for that level of babysitting?

It was irritating on the old forum and it's irritating now. Seven SOLD pistols on the first page of the pistol listings as I type this. And relying on "churn" to push unattended posts to the back of the listings is just ...grrrr... How about this? Just elevate my permissions for 4 hours, one day a week (Monday night?) and I'll clean them up and will also PM stagnant postings owners to confirm if active or sold, if sold it gets deleted.

This is the "AZS.org Site Support, Suggestions and Help" section. I'm just making a suggestion here.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

admin wrote: July 14th, 2018, 9:05 am
Gatsby wrote: July 14th, 2018, 3:55 am I like having the sold ads for pricing, and change the title to sold but leave the content of the ad including pictures.

You can only do that within a couple minutes of having posted it. Once it has been there for more than a few minutes, you cannot delete your post.
I know, but thank you. I was just trying to point out that there's really nothing else we as regular users can do when it's sold except to mark it sold.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I would bet most guns are not sold for the asking price.
If they are it is usually a good deal and you will see postings in the add saying " I will take it ".
Then you will usually see a couple more postings with " Seconds if it falls through ". These get annoying sometimes especially if there are a couple fighting over who posted or sent a PM first.
Most guns are negotiated through PM's and the actual selling price or trade is never known to the public.
If you want to know what guns are actually selling for you need to go to an auction sight and view the completed listings for a true value.

Also why is it so important to not delete your add ?
I know I wouldn't want a public record of what I sell or buy.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if they had expiration dates on classified adds like arms list has and backpage had.
Then the clutter would just go away.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I understand the points being made. Regardless of what is done, not everyone will be pleased, so for now, it's just going to remain as-is. Perhaps when there is more content and traffic overall in the forum, I will revisit it. For now, they will not be pruned. Bringing more traffic to the site is desirable, and we have been on a consistent, upward trend since I opened this site, which is a good thing. Typically, new users will look at the activity on a forum to determine if it's worthwhile to join and if they see low activity and not many posts, topics, etc - they may pass over it as not engaging or busy enough. Hence my giveaway of the two rifles for encouraging just that. The posts and topics in the classifieds help boost those numbers while this site is still in its infancy. While I have never been a fan of pruning any forum content, I will seriously consider it down the road once the site is more established.