Preview of the NEW ArizonaShooting.ORG classifieds and auctions

Having trouble with something related to the site? Have a good suggestion on how we can improve? Feel free to post it here. We can't guarantee we'll get to it, but we will read it! Site code of conduct and use agreement/rules also here.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview of the NEW ArizonaShooting.ORG classifieds and auctions

Post by admin »

Guys - I get it on the passwords: some of you think it's too much, some of you think I should develop a new encryption algorithm to make it more secure.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on the usability of the site. While 4 people have created accounts, I don't think anyone has done anything in it beyond that. I am trying to give people the chance to test it and provide feedback before it goes live to replace the classifieds because I will be much less likely to make changes (outside of fixes) once it is actually live.

h8pvmnt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by h8pvmnt »

I went ahead and made a fake account to test, but what was wrong with the old way of listing something for sale for a price and if a buyer wanted it they buy it. Seems to have worked well for years. I have never had a bad experience on AZS buying or selling. Have met some good friends. I hate gun broker because auctions suck for buying guns. They might be awesome for sellers. But i don't see the core group here really buying in to this. But what do i know i am just an old guy gun collector that doesn't need more anyway. I appreciate all the work and will test drive it a bit and see what happens. I doubt i will use it actually in the future however. Probably for the best anyway for me.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

yip, what he said, up there lol
nice job i hear,
being a computer dumbarse, its not in my interest. i'm sure some here will revel in its success
Rj
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Feedback
I registered, received the email to verify registration, clicked link, says email already verified. Go to list an item and says account not verified. Click to resend email, rinse repeat. Says email verified but i still can't list a fake item for sale. Maybe i am expecting things to happen too quick, or maybe i did something wrong. I am not IT guy. I am signed in and tried signing out and resigning in. Still can't list anything.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

h8pvmnt wrote: October 12th, 2021, 7:39 am I went ahead and made a fake account to test, but what was wrong with the old way of listing something for sale for a price and if a buyer wanted it they buy it. Seems to have worked well for years. I have never had a bad experience on AZS buying or selling. Have met some good friends. I hate gun broker because auctions suck for buying guns. They might be awesome for sellers. But i don't see the core group here really buying in to this. But what do i know i am just an old guy gun collector that doesn't need more anyway. I appreciate all the work and will test drive it a bit and see what happens. I doubt i will use it actually in the future however. Probably for the best anyway for me.
Then you don't create an auction... you create a classified ad. A seller can make either one.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Ok thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

h8pvmnt wrote: October 12th, 2021, 8:01 am Feedback
I registered, received the email to verify registration, clicked link, says email already verified. Go to list an item and says account not verified. Click to resend email, rinse repeat. Says email verified but i still can't list a fake item for sale. Maybe i am expecting things to happen too quick, or maybe i did something wrong. I am not IT guy. I am signed in and tried signing out and resigning in. Still can't list anything.
Like I said in the initial post, I have it set so that I have to approve the accounts before you can bid or sell. I did that for you about 5 minutes ago.

The verification YOU did was to verify that you used a valid email address. Once it goes live, that's all it will need - I only added the last step in for now while testing, just in case I made a mistake somewhere and a bunch of spam accounts get added.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

First Error i encountered. Not sure what it means. I could not find a category for gun, firearms or firearm related items. So i chose sporting goods and got this error.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 08-04-31 Sell AZS Auctions Classifieds - DEVELOPMENT.png
SupportTheSecond

Post by SupportTheSecond »

Just a comment on the pay methods posted. Paypal has a strict no firearms or firearms parts policy and if you get caught they will impound any monies you may have in your Paypal account. I've read of instances where people have been hit pretty hard. I believe they then charge you 2500.00 per incident as a fine.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SupportTheSecond wrote: October 13th, 2021, 9:26 am Just a comment on the pay methods posted. Paypal has a strict no firearms or firearms parts policy and if you get caught they will impound any monies you may have in your Paypal account. I've read of instances where people have been hit pretty hard. I believe they then charge you 2500.00 per incident as a fine.
Yep - and taking that risk is up to the person - the site itself doesn't play any proxy or middleman - it would be direct from buyer to seller. I just put it in there as an option, because some people still choose to use it. Also, since the site can be used for things other than firearms, the option to take PP may still be appreciated by some sellers.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

h8pvmnt wrote: October 13th, 2021, 8:07 am First Error i encountered. Not sure what it means. I could not find a category for gun, firearms or firearm related items. So i chose sporting goods and got this error.
Thanks. I need to fix that so that you *must* choose a sub-category. It's in there though... In fact, I asked for feedback above on whether the category under Sporting Goods should be "Shooting" or "Firearms". I put it under "Shooting" for now, but am open to other thoughts.
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 10.01.51 AM.png
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

I really like what you've laid-out so far.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When this goes live, I strongly suggest that all new listings be done as "classifieds" rather than "auctions" since we need to build traffic up for auctions to be truly viable.
Comanchero

Post by Comanchero »

I keep getting this error when trying to list:

‘Main Category’: the value ‘3704’ is invalid.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Comanchero wrote: October 14th, 2021, 1:20 pm I keep getting this error when trying to list:

‘Main Category’: the value ‘3704’ is invalid.
Because it is invalid. You have to continue to pick a sub-category. See the pic I posted 3 posts above yours.